993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey Historics 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Was that the white Royale that resides in the Greenfield Village / Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn?
It had no headlights, so I think it was chassis 41.111, the Coupe de Ville Binder. The one I rode in was a closed car and I *think* it was the Park-Ward Limousine, 41.131.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I had such a nice time at the Historics last year that I decided to do it again for 2010. Anyone else going?
Originally Posted by curve lover
Jason-- Luv to, but doubt I'll have much fun on the schedule 'til late 2010, when I hope to finish night school
Update: looks much better for me to slack on my academics, & make it out with Speedy to see last year's CA friends & meet more RLers.
No specific commitments yet, but general schedule for my Monterey car week looks ~Aug 10 - 14.

May have to leave CA as early as Sat AM, Aug 14 to return home.
Fingers crossed to stay through Sat's Laguna Seca, & hopefully do better than last year's long-distance 'meeting' with Jason
(From "Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc" thread)...
Originally Posted by JDHertz11

Curve is too good for the rest of us little people!!! The nerve of him!!!

His car is parked in the Porsche invitation only section...

Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Betsy W
Actually, they had all 6. First and only time, ever, that all six were in one place. We had one of them in our garage -- it didn't run and so we towed it in with our 1934 Ford V8 cabriolet. Wish I had the photos from that -- the little Ford looked like a toy car next to the Royale!

I had a ride in the one unrestored Royale -- it was fantastic. The guy driving it was traveling with it from the museum and he clearly loved the car. Rather than easing it around as if it was made of glass, he really drove it, respectfully but with joy. A great time.
I stand corrected, thanks. I'm sure your POV is the correct one, as you were actually participating in the event. My wife and I were merely spectators that day. But I do stand by my memory of the day: "It was quite a show"!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 PM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i probably will attend the historics on one of the two days. would like to meet up and at least drive in and park with some porsches/ rennlisters in the corral area.

Mark W
Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Its funny that this thread is back. I received my tickets for the Concorso Italiano this past week. I will be in Irvine for the VW Jamboree the weekend before Monterey, so I'll be a "time traveler" that week!!! Looking forward to the events...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:40 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there Saturday but in my Aston. Curve Lover we'll miss you Saturday. No way you would know but I was driving the 1980 Aston Volante who followed you out of the track last year.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Got flights to SFO and hotel for the week (Wed-Tue), unfortunately will be in an Avis rental :-(

Is there any RL planned meet & greet?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm not sure we'll be there this year, but we sure did have fun meeting up with quite a few of you last year. If there is a dinner, maybe we should have it somewhere else where at least there is parking. I LOVE the Tavern but it took us a half hour of driving around until a spot opened up and I know some people didn't bother and gave up.

Jager ~~~ So would you be there on Friday night?

Now I REALLY want to go.....
Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RJT
we sure did have fun meeting up with quite a few of you last year.

Jager ~~~ So would you be there on Friday night?

Now I REALLY want to go.....
...& I REALLY want to catch up with you, Robert, & all your amigos; which is EVERYBODY!

So, YES to Fri PM - exactly what I was thinking: last year's was a terrific time. DCDude's "bachelor party" was a blast, & Pelican Parts Forum friends made it fun.
My bride magically snagged a parking spot for Speedy, but it still didn't compare to the front-row spot AlpinaDVL scored ...& he was in a BMW .
(OK, Alf: an extremely rare Bimmer that attracted more attention than all our Porsches combined, but still )
My wife can't make it this year, however, my best friend's flying out from GA. Doubt he can save a parking spot as well as she did. So, maybe a place with driver-friendly parking's a good idea.

I really loved the ability to sit on Tarpy's front porch & watch the cool cars pull up!
Beggers can't be choosers, but let me put a request in for a view like that again.

Last year's get-together blurb, from the "Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc." thread:
Tarpy's Roadhouse Sat PM. Should be perfect to check out the p-cars in the p-king lot, meet folks, grab grub & brews.

I have a reservation for ten folks for dinner @ 7:15 PM. Under my name, Jäger. Patio open if you get there early.

Tarpy's Roadhouse; 831-647-1444; 2999 Monterey Salinas Hwy; Monterey, CA 93940

5 minutes from track to cold brews.

Last edited by curve lover; 07-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jo-- Like your bottom pics of the Glockler at Carmel last year. Wouldn't be surprised if you know the owners.

Caught up with them & their Roadster recently at Dana Point, CA.

^^ Photography courtesy & copyright of Marc Karaoglan.
Originally Posted by RJT
Nice talking to you Jager. I'll give you a call tomorrow and maybe we can get together for a drink or something. Looks like we might be out and about near you tomorrow after all

A few pictures of the Glockler:

Old 07-04-2010, 03:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I'll be there Saturday but in my Aston. Curve Lover we'll miss you Saturday. No way you would know but I was driving the 1980 Aston Volante who followed you out of the track last year.
I'll be glad to keep an eye out for you & your silver A.M. again, or even better: your A.R. Targa!

Would luv to make Laguna on Sat, but not looking good yet.
Regardless, if it helps RLers assemble:
here's the registration page for the Porsche Corral ... it's shared with BMWs this year, so maybe your Volante will be welcome, too
MotorsportReg.com's "2010 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion" page.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:19 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jo-- Like your bottom pics of the Glockler at Carmel last year. Wouldn't be surprised if you know the owners.

Yes. Did you expect any different? LOL The 356 (old Porsche circle) is pretty small.
Herb and Rose are Porsche friends of ours. We've known Herb for at least 20 years. First time we ever met him I had him cracking up. I took pictures of his Kremer 930 one day as he was driving down the 91 in Tustin. I whipped those puppies out of a folder I had with me at the event and that was it. We became P-car buddies. When we lived in the desert, his daughter lived only a few miles from us so we ran into them a little more frequently than we did when we were in R Can Saw.

The first time Robert say the car at Carmel, he went NUTS. And then when he saw Herb driving it, OH MY. He asked him when he got it because he didn't know he bought it, and Herb told him four years ago and it had been at least 2 years since we saw him last in California....
Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wink 6 degrees of RJT

Originally Posted by RJT
Yes. Did you expect any different? LOL
What was I thinking? Shoulda been my first question when I met 'em.

Hmmmmm.....
Most are familiar with the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" trivia / drinking game, based on the small world phenomenon that any actor can be linked through film roles to actor Kevin Bacon within six steps

I'm coining the new Rennlist/ Porsche offshoot: Six Degrees of RJT:
Report back to RL when you unexpectedly meet an acquaintance of JoAnne or Robert's.
From my brief experience, the resulting list of P-car enthusiasts' names could make for an epic, long thread!

Hopefully see y'all soon in CA.

Recent shot of Roadster, Rose, Herb, & Speedy:

Old 07-05-2010, 02:28 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What was I thinking? Shoulda been my first question when I met 'em.

Hmmmmm.....
Most are familiar with the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" trivia / drinking game, based on the small world phenomenon that any actor can be linked through film roles to actor Kevin Bacon within six steps

I'm coining the new Rennlist/ Porsche offshoot: Six Degrees of RJT:
Report back to RL when you unexpectedly meet an acquaintance of JoAnne or Robert's.
From my brief experience, the resulting list of P-car enthusiasts' names could make for an epic, long thread!

Hopefully see y'all soon in CA.

LOL That would be a boring read.....
Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RJT
LOL That would be a boring read.....
Only to you; trust me.

You're so humble (never thought I'd say that! )

Quick Reply: Monterey Historics 2010