Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc

Post your Monterey, CA, 2009 event week photos here!
Pebble Beach, Laguna Seca Historics, Concours d'Elegance, Quail car show, Concourso, etc...

I've been in Monterey ~3 days now. Seen a lot of incredible cars, but this is truly the only 993 I've seen. To get us started, 2 Pebble Beach pix:

Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Update: upon arrival Sat PM @ Tarpy's Roadhouse:
Instead of checking in for the "Jäger" reservation, change that to the "Brian Atkin party." He's the Pelican Parts POC; we're all under 1 reservation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those local, please post here or PM me if you're interested in meeting RLers Sat PM @ Tarpy's Roadhouse Sat PM. Should be perfect to check out the p-cars in the p-king lot, meet folks, grab grub & brews.

I have a reservation for ten folks for dinner @ 7:15 PM. Under my name, Jäger. Patio open if you get there early.

Tarpy's Roadhouse; 831-647-1444; 2999 Monterey Salinas Hwy; Monterey, CA 93940

5 minutes from track to cold brews. Who's interested?

Last edited by curve lover; 08-13-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
... check out the p-cars in the p-king lot, meet folks, grab grub & brews. ... 5 minutes from track to cold brews. Who's interested?
Damn! have fun.

If you pass through SLC on the way home give me a call and I'll buy ... lunch.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Wish I was able to make it. PLEASE post lots of pics.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been invited to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday ... will post photos for all
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sat night? Sure, I'll come on by. I'm going to the track Friday; not sure what's up Saturday. As I posted in another thread, I won't have much to look at with the RS America track rat (likely with the bike and rack attached)!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

I'll take some pictures at today's Concours on the Avenue in Carmel. They are staging the cars right now outside of our hotel.

Not sure how many 993's there will be in the show, but there is some BEAUTIFUL metal out there. I know I'm going to be having fun this week!!!

Jager: you going to be on the avenue today?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hoggel
Damn! have fun.

If you pass through SLC on the way home give me a call and I'll buy ... lunch.
Hogge! Who needs a job??? Show some prioritization & get your Arena Red rocket out here!!!
Could use your XBox skillz @ Laguna Seca. If you show up, I'll buy all your drinks Sat night

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Wish I was able to make it. PLEASE post lots of pics.
Tim-- You better have a good explanation, young man! Will you be up north, or out east? How am I gonna tell all the broken-hearted ladies?

One who was excited to finally meet you is Speedy. She heard a lot about you from DJF1 (all lies?). I don't wanna have to tell her the news...

Another Pebble Beach photo of her, when she was happy & looking forward to meeting the Moffat (heck if I know why)...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
I have been invited to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Sunday ... will post photos for all
Ted-- Congrats. Are you gonna scoot by Canepa's open house? That's where we met let, last Oct - thanks to Steve & RL. Although we've seen it, it's always a wonderland. I think there were eight 959s when we were there; I can only imagine what especially rare treats they may have for their big show now ... [insert drool icon here].

Four 959s in this photo (from last Oct)

Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be a wet blanket, but is parking my car in a hotel's outdoor lot in the same place for 3 nights in a row a real cause for security concerns, or am I just paranoid?

My rational side says there's herd safety in numbers and there are far more appealing targets than mine.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

VERY USEFUL DAILY SCHEDULE -- CLICK HERE; put together by former PCA president, Prescott Kelly. This is Porsche Club of America's concise calendar of what's going on this week, starting with Carmel-by-the-Sea's “Concours on the Avenue”.

Originally Posted by RJT
Jager: you going to be on the avenue today?
Jo-- I brought a bunch of "993" related T-shirts; time to hang out with someone might appreciate one!

Look for a PM from me.

Pebble Beach photo with with 1930's Chrysler:

Old 08-11-2009, 04:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great pix so far...
I love that shot in Post 8, Jager

I will add mine after this weekend.
Cannot wait!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Not to be a wet blanket, but is parking my car in a hotel's outdoor lot in the same place for 3 nights in a row a real cause for security concerns, or am I just paranoid?

My rational side says there's herd safety in numbers and there are far more appealing targets than mine.

I actually thought the same thing when I booked my hotel, but I think the safety in numbers thing should hold true. Also, my lowly 993 will not really be drawing much attention in the sea of high-line stuff that we'll see up there.

I was in Carmel last year for 3 days (not in Aug.) and felt comfortable with my car covered and parked right in front of the lobby of the little Inn we stayed in.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I haven't spent the night the last couple of years, I've been going the Monterey weekend (and staying at the hotels) for more than 10 years before that and never had a problem in any of my cars. There are so many gear heads around who are respectful of fine machinery that you're probably safer there than most places. I always tried to avoid parking next to rental cars or cars with any kid stuff in them unless I have a lot of room (the parents may be careful but you can't count on their kids). Having an enthusiast toy parked on either side, which is easy to do, it good protection IMHO. A cover is also a good idea, not so much for safety but because it gets foggy at night and it saves having to clean up your car in the AM. That said if you park at the track you can pretty much count on coming back to a dust covered car. The fact of the matter is you probably have a much bigger risk getting in an accident due to all the rubbernecking going on than you do parking anywhere.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Just got back to the Inn.... WHAT A DAY on the avenue

I've got pictures and I'm working on downsizing them. There was only one 993 and it said that it was "built to RS spec's". It was Speed Yellow. It was hard to me to take a picture of it. The special car of the day for us was a REAL Porsche Glockler from 1952. Only five were manufactured. #1 and #2 were Destroyed. The one that was here is #3 and #4 and #5 are known to exist but not in running condition. What also blew us away was who owned it.... a friend of ours! We asked him when he bought it. He said two years ago and since we have been moving all over the country and haven't seen him.... we didn't know. Anyway, I thought Robert was going to go in his pants! Can you say MILLIONS?

Pictures coming....................

Quick Reply: Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc