Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Monterey Historics 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naming Bugatti's isn't too hard. Just put type __ and pick a number. Just kidding. If I saw one on the street I would have no clue what the year/type was. I am not a Bugatti expert but I have a HUGE respect for the technical brilliance that went into their racing (and street) cars. I was on the pit crew for a 1926 Bugatti Type 37A (car #11) last year and the engines are absolutely breathtaking to work on.
What's funny is my wife bought me my Porsche while I was at Laguna Seca last year.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Have they announced a date for the Rennsport Reunion?
They typically announce the details early in the same year as the event is to be held in, so should be soon.

Hoping to find a much better hotel in Daytona or the surrounding area this year! Any suggestions are welcome...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When visiting relatives in Holland a couple of years ago, the little village where we had rented a vacation home had a vintage car event. Amongst the cars a Bugatti showed up, I'll try to post a photo.

Bert

Last edited by Ocean Blue C2S; 02-27-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone confirm if historic races will be still held at Laguna Seca or as rumor suggest it'll be moved to Infineon/Sears Point track this year?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Try this link:
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/Ro...tomobile_Races

I heard rumors that they are downsizing the pre-1950's cars this year. Something about low audience attendace, which is crap cause they hold the vintage cars early in the morning...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM
bramblegrower
Rennlist Member

Hopefully, it won't be just a bunch of Veyrons but a few of the truly priceless and exotic Bugattis such as the Atlantics or Royalles

I don't think anyone has ever made more cool looking engines than Bugatti

Veyron - Ho Hum!!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow love the pictures...
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bramblegrower
Hopefully, it won't be just a bunch of Veyrons but a few of the truly priceless and exotic Bugattis such as the Atlantics or Royalles:
Bugatti was the marque back in the 80's, IIRC. They managed to have five of the six existing Royales in the world there, all in one spot. All came from various museums around the world. It was quite a show.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Can someone confirm if historic races will be still held at Laguna Seca or as rumor suggest it'll be moved to Infineon/Sears Point track this year?
The races will be at Laguna as usual but under different management. Steve Earl (General Racing) started the Monterey event more than 20 years ago but had differences with SCRAMP who runs Laguna Seca so SCRAMP is taking the event over starting this year. Earl also runs the Wine Country Classic historic races at Infineon (Sears Point to us oldsters) and will continue to do so. WCC used to be sort of a tune up and pre-qualifier for Monterey and much more low key but now that Earl has lost Laguna he's probably planning to ramp up the Infineon event. For those who can't make it to Monterey the WCC is a great alternative especially if you prefer a smaller, less commercial event but with many of the same cars you'll see a couple months later at Laguna.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Didn't meet up with any Rennlisters last year other than chatting with Speedster-boy Jaeger before the parade lap on Sunday. Hopefully there will a bunch of us up there.
Sorry we missed you. Seemed like the world was at Tarpy's on Saturday night!

Bugatti-Tecate (gotta love the Historics!) plus a Nethercutt car from the '07 Palos Verdes Concours at Trump National...

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

HEY! I know that guy!!!

Bugatti Atlantique owned by Ralph Lauren and shown at Pebble Beach. To me....... and you know how much I LOVE Porsche's.... this car is one of the most beautiful, sexy, classic cars in the world ever:

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJT
HEY! I know that guy!!!
Yes, you do. Always great to see you guys, even in glamorous Porterville!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Yes, you do. Always great to see you guys, even in glamorous Porterville!
You mean Watrsonville?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Bugatti was the marque back in the 80's, IIRC. They managed to have five of the six existing Royales in the world there, all in one spot. All came from various museums around the world. It was quite a show.
Actually, they had all 6. First and only time, ever, that all six were in one place. We had one of them in our garage -- it didn't run and so we towed it in with our 1934 Ford V8 cabriolet. Wish I had the photos from that -- the little Ford looked like a toy car next to the Royale!

I had a ride in the one unrestored Royale -- it was fantastic. The guy driving it was traveling with it from the museum and he clearly loved the car. Rather than easing it around as if it was made of glass, he really drove it, respectfully but with joy. A great time.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 269 Posts

Was that the white Royale that resides in the Greenfield Village / Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn? I've been to see it many times & always felt that car deserves a lot more that it's current existence. I was appalled during one visit to see it parked next to the first Honda Accord to be imported to the US....

My company was part of a major renovation at the Village a few years ago & I remember pulling the curator aside & telling him the same... He was unfortunately not a "car guy".

Quick Reply: Monterey Historics 2010