ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^I agree....I like your arguement AND your car!!!^^^^^^^^
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 993, the dealer looked me in the eye and told me it was an investment. I laughed because I *never* buy cars as investments -- I buy them because I love them and plan to hold on to them until my dying day. This gives me the peace of mind to enjoy my cars without counting pennies or miles. Of course we can't keep every car, but I can tell you that when it came time to sell the ones I had to sell, I didn't even remember what I'd paid for them.

But is also happens that the thing is, the dealer's right: a good 993 *is* an investment. Jerry (above) is right -- the 993 expresses the spirit of Porsche, and people continue to respond emotionally to them. I don't want to make any predictions about values, but I can tell you that I will still love my 993 ten years from now. I'm willing to bet a whole lot of other people will love them too -- and so the market will remain viable.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Get an appraisal and get stated value insurance...it doesn't cost any more than regular insurance and then the people pulling values from their ***** are easily marginalized.

You get the added benefit of having your car valued using real world sales.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 450 Posts

This car is a perfect reference point: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html

Excellence puts the value of an "excellent" 97 C2S @ $32050. They also very generously would allow 10% more for the car's low mileage bringing the total to $35255. Anyone ever seen a deal like that? Didn't think so.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 342 Posts

Dave, Sergio and Van,

Point taken...I guess that after over 35 years of owning sports cars of various types, I just assume that battling insurance companies over valuation is just something that "comes with the territory." I figure that for every lowball number BA publishes, I can find one on the other end of the scale that will counterbalance his statement.

Reference another point made in the thread, I don't understand the statements implying that the value of 997s is enhanced by a reduction in the value of 993s. It seems to me that purposefully pushing the value of older Porsches in a downward direction will only speed the depreciation of newer ones as well. What am I missing?

Regards,
Terry
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by TMc993
Reference another point made in the thread, I don't understand the statements implying that the value of 997s is enhanced by a reduction in the value of 993s. It seems to me that purposefully pushing the value of older Porsches in a downward direction will only speed the depreciation of newer ones as well. What am I missing?

Regards,
Terry
Point well taken. I don't mean to imply that the "value" of the 997s are enhanced. IMHO that's not possible. The implication, by stating that the value of a 993 is less than it really is, is that an investment in a 993 is a bad one and an investment in a 997 is a good one.

I pulled up along side a silver 2008 997 Cab at an intersection this last fall and the people crossing the street (yes, people walk in Colorado) looked at my car and not at the 997. I could read the lips of one of the teenagers... "look dad, as he pointed to my car, there's a porsh!

The 996s and the 997s don't look like Porsches, they look like a lot of other modern cars and don't have that classic Porsche look. For example, did you notice that the 997 has 993 headlamps and the rear hip bump was accentuated a bit from the flat panel of the 996? I can't wait to see the new 993s in a couple of years!!! ..."dad, is that a new porsh or an old one, they look so much alike?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Excellence has always been WAY OFF in terms of their values.
So have those dealer blue and black books. I don't pay any attention to them.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

EDIT: Double Post...Sorry!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhubs
The implication, by stating that the value of a 993 is less than it really is, is that an investment in a 993 is a bad one and an investment in a 997 is a good one.
Got it...I've never thought of sports cars as investments...I just buy 'em to drive 'em...So, this line of "logic" has never occurred to me...Thank God..
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
I figure that for every lowball number BA publishes, I can find one on the other end of the scale that will counterbalance his statement.
I agree Terry.

I guess what is bothersome to me, is that someone like Bruce could be so off with reality. And what is probably worst, is that Excellence Magazine keeps publishing his delusional valuations that are pulled from some mysterious formula that he conjured, and that its results are obviously not checked for correctness.

Being Excellence Magazine the leading Porsche magazine in the U.S., and being Bruce Anderson considered such a respected and knowledgeable resource by the Porsche community, they should be held to a higher standard.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Do any of you know Bruce personally?

2. A car (or anything) is "worth" what a willing buyer and seller agree on, price-wise.

3. My C4S is probably better than "so-so", and when I threw up the price discussion about it a few weeks ago, seemed the consensus was marginally $25K. If that.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Ever check his 914 values? "these cars keep making new friends" yea because they are cheap and were poorly maintained. 911 owners spent $ on maintaining them over the years. '74 914 in "good condition" for 15 grand, not even close to market value where I live.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
A car (or anything) is "worth" what a willing buyer and seller agree on, price-wise.
I have seen some of those "market pages" in Excellence thanks to a neighbor lending me his issues.

If he is going to publish those numbers, maybe he can find me a car at those prices the next time I'm looking. Oh, I know there will be the odd car available, but the odd car isn't the majority of cars.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
1. Do any of you know Bruce personally?

2. A car (or anything) is "worth" what a willing buyer and seller agree on, price-wise.

3. My C4S is probably better than "so-so", and when I threw up the price discussion about it a few weeks ago, seemed the consensus was marginally $25K. If that.
Ken, no doubt you are a knowledgeable guy when it comes to all things Porsche, but I am interested in how you think a C4S that's not even worth $25K could be better than "so-so".
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'am not sorry that I started this thread, but I would like to add an additional comment. I know that Bruce Anderson is a very highly regarded Porsche mechanic/technician, or whatever we may call him, and he has indeed contributed a lot to all of us with the knowledge on Porsches. Anecdotally, this started with him working at Garretson Enterprises, under the watchful eye of Bob Garretson. He has attained almost "guru" status in rebuilding our Porsches. But, that does not make him an accredited, by state or province "Appraiser", at least I don't see that sort of accreditation attributed to him in Excellence. That then begs the question: "why print these values by a highly technical person?" and "not an accredited appraiser?" I, and I assume many others can vouch for some who have the credentials and do this for a living!

My last 2 cents,

Bert

Quick Reply: Excellence Values of 993s, what gives?