993 Forum 1995-1998

1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM
stuttgart_20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Dumb question, but can you tow an AWD car on 2 wheels w/o doing some serious damage?
no, it would be a disaster
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile LOjack :(

"If LoJack has a internal backup, can that be any good after 13 years?"

Battery probably dead...LoJack, once they have your initial $, you just wont hear from them." I never have.

Probably best insurance is a garage, or, a Denver Boot(s), one on the front, one on the rear. They are about $300 a pop as I recall.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I'm sorry for your loss. My advice would be to file the insurance paperwork and start shopping for a replacement. I think you were a victim of a specific, targeted, theft. I don't know what "CDM" is (not from LA.) But I doubt joyriders would go after a 993 Turbo in the LA area. Odds are your car will be out of the country soon, if not already.Like I said above, It sucks, but have fun shopping! You will find that the people here on RL will help you more than you might believe. People will preview distant cars, offer rides from airport, etc...Seriously, you'll be amazed at the resources here.
So sorry to hear about your car. We were thinking that in this amount of time, it may alreadybe in a Container headed for Russia.

Here is something else you may not what to hear, but I saw this with my own two eyes at the Pomona Swap meet one year. True Story:

There was a man that had his 993 stolen a week before the Pomona Swap meet. He decided to go to the meet to see if his car was there for sale. As he was walking through the vendors he spotted fenders, doors, hood in the color of his car. He took his keys out and tried the lock in the door.... AND IT OPENED UP. Then he tried the other door and it opened up. He came over by our booth and called the police who where already on the premises and they came and arrested the guy who the whole time was telling them he didn't know it was stolen and that he bought the parts from someone else. Yeah right. Robert would have punched the guy in the nose, but the owner was really calm, and sad........ I am sure the crook was out that night since there was no proof that he was the one who actually stole the car. You know how the law goes.

No matter what, Good Luck and just know that in the long run Karma is gonna get the crook one way or the other.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alarm unit went bad last month after two years of storage and was replaced - mechanic is very honest, has worked for me for 25 years. Talked to him about where the unit came from, he says when they are installed they become unique to the car, vender would not know where the car is, etc.

Hmmmmmm... LINK
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
travanx
Pro

You are supposed to have lojack serviced every couple of years. First time having lojack on the current car and figured it's a small amount of money to pay. Trying to figure out what kind of alarm I will be installing. Either way I hope the OP keeps us updated on what happens. Mercury insurance which is the cheapest insurance I could find a few years ago, paid me out correctly with no hassle whatsoever and they did it quick.

I have thought about writing to the Glendale New Press about how stupidly my case was handled by the detective, but realized that may flag me in the future. I also plan on eventually running for a local office, which may come back to haunt me.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Lojac on my TT.
When it was stolen out of my garage the cops had it surrounded by a helicopter and 5 squad cars within 30 minutes after I found it gone. The funny thing is I told the cops I didnt have Lojac when they asked! Boy wasI surprised when they called and told me how they had found it. I had bought the car from a Porsche dealer and even they didnt know it had been installed by the prior leasor.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

any follow up? Whatever happened ? Did they find the car?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
travanx
Pro

Going to ask just for any follow ups, since this thread was brought up recently.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Just read about another 993 Turbo stolen. So in 2013 what are the recommended security products/methods?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Confused

It was my understanding that the car owner had to make a call to Lojack, then Lojack calls the police...that's what they told me in 2000. Maybe times have changed.

Originally Posted by jimq
I have Lojac on my TT.
When it was stolen out of my garage the cops had it surrounded by a helicopter and 5 squad cars within 30 minutes after I found it gone. The funny thing is I told the cops I didnt have Lojac when they asked! Boy wasI surprised when they called and told me how they had found it. I had bought the car from a Porsche dealer and even they didnt know it had been installed by the prior leasor.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

how the hell did they defeat the immobilzer?! I cant start my car with cycling it on the best of days!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
how the hell did they defeat the immobilzer?! I cant start my car with cycling it on the best of days!
Tow truck
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

If I don't use mine for days, I take my DME relay with me.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a good idea. Don't forget the spare one too!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

If my 993 is ever stolen I'm going to replace it with a 996 (already the least desired 911 while being fantastic performers). Following that, It'll never be washed, I may even let the paint go to hell and clearcoat peel up. Mechanically it will be perfect but from the outside people will walk by it and say: "What a dog!". Nobody will want it.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach