Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:42 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I live in Newport Beach, can you tell us exactly where it was taken from? I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for your beautiful car. One good thing about it being stolen in Newport Beach, Newport PD will definitely put some resources into finding your vehicle. Good Luck!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sorry this happened. Saw the email report from the OC PCA. Hope you recover it soon. Any hits on your Lojack? Any word on the other 911 stolen a few days pior in Newport/CDM?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:01 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTKan
I am very, very sorry to hear about your loss. I say empty your clip into these thieving bastards and reduce the likelihood that they will procreate!
I'm generally non-violent, but with the rash of attacks against Police here of late I'm starting to feel the sentiment above. (In the past two months, five officers have been killed and three others wounded in three separate shootings. One remains on life support.)
Old 12-25-2009, 11:04 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travanx, if someone drove your car from your home while you where there, im 99.9999% sure they had an extra set of keys and knew you and your car. You can not just buy a set, you need to have the car, learning codes, and all the sets of keys.

Porsche driveblock is a good system. If this turbo is the same place you bought your car, I think it is pretty easy to figuar out.

Edit to add, Clip hahaha what do you have an M1 Garand?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

This is probably a good reason to add a battery kill switch to the car. The ones the race and de guys use.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Man, this sucks big time. Sorry to hear that.

I can almost guarantee you that whoever took the car must have had it towed or had the remote/key for it. With the immobilizer, there is no way the car will start with just the key. You can't get by the Immobilizer. The ECU is disabled and the car would just not start. If Travanx heard his car being driven away, the thief had the key and the remote with the right code. These cars can't be hardwired.

Travanx car coming from the same dealer may be a coincidence, or not. I would really look into the dealer that sold the car as a possible connection. This may be going on without them knowing, it just takes one crook working on the inside. Shops making duplicate keys/remote to later break into cars is nothing new. It happened to me many years ago. The shop got greedy and eventually the police made the connection and caught the guy. There were hundreds of cars broken into and contents stolen without any signs of breaking in.

Good luck on getting it back!
If they were really pro they would just have another ECU that has had all of the security features deleted. My 98 993 race car has no immobilizer and has been thoroughly hacked as they removed 3 of the O2 sensors as well.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck finding it sir. In the end, as long as you have a good insurance company, material possessions can be replaced. I would probably cry a good long cry if mine disapppeared, but I would go get another and half the fun is finding one. Yours is a beautiful color, so here's hoping that you find it !
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Fullerton
If they were really pro they would just have another ECU that has had all of the security features deleted. My 98 993 race car has no immobilizer and has been thoroughly hacked as they removed 3 of the O2 sensors as well.
Don't you have to remove the seat to get to the ECU? This would take too much time to do parked in front of the the car owner house. Getting a dup key and remote programmed when they had the car in the shop is far easier.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

To achieve the original Porsche 993 level of security after purchasing a 993,
one should always 'Learn' the remotes that came with the car upon purchase.
This 'removes' all other remotes associated with the immobilizer, thus preventing
'unknown' remotes from starting the car. Additionally, one should always have
two working and 'Learned' remotes, using one only for service where the
car is not under control of the owner. If the a new remote is 'learned', the
owner's second remote will not function. To achieve a higher level of security,
one should purchase a new immobilizer which will provide the owner with
exclusive access to the Learning Code, thus preventing any additional unknown
remotes.

Obviously the above doesn't prevent an installation of a different immobilizer
at theft time, but that is very difficult and time consuming. Also, that doesn't
prevent towing or flat-bedding either. But at least with the above, the owner
has prevented an easy theft.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Loren is on the right track, reset the system to clear all rogue keys.
Check your back up set every time the car comes back from service.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This really pisses me off.

I think Travanx and Blue993TurboStolen need to go after the Police in both cities with the information that it appears that both cars have been at the same dealership. Unfortunately both Glendale PD and Newport beach PD make Barney Fife look like Sargent Joe Friday. You gotta keep on their ***. Give the information to the two local papers, The Glendale Newspress and Newport Beach Daily Pilot, if you get the away from crime fighting getting donuts message.

This is not like 2 stolen hondas or Chevys. This is a specific targeted car.

You might also check with the CHP
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Don't you have to remove the seat to get to the ECU? This would take too much time to do parked in front of the the car owner house. Getting a dup key and remote programmed when they had the car in the shop is far easier.
I keep forgetting what these cars are like stock. Mine is Velcroed to the rear seat wall because there is nolonger room under the seat after the mounts were lowered. Takes all of 30seconds to change out.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Evan Fullerton
I keep forgetting what these cars are like stock. Mine is Velcroed to the rear seat wall because there is nolonger room under the seat after the mounts were lowered. Takes all of 30seconds to change out.
No need to remove the seat in my '95. First time ECU removal/chip swap/replacement took 15 minutes. I could probably do a quick change of complete units in <3 minutes now.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

any update?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

I will say that in my experience LoJack is a joke. Here in Houston, have witnessed many times how the police are much too busy for the bother of trying to triangulate the signal and only a small few of the cars are equipped with systems to even track such. LoJack only works... AFTER your car or bike has been JACKED and AFTER you find out it has been JACKED, call the PoPo and they file the police report which could take til the end of their shift.

Face it... by the time you get all those planets to align, your property is GONE!!

So what do you do? You install a Global Tracking system. I have been installing these on Bikes, Cars and boats for three years in the Houston area. Its like getting ADT for your house. If someone so much as moves your car, sits on the bike or tips the trailer of your boat... you get a text message to your phone immediately. A 3D chipset within the small PDA sized box senses the motion. From there, a phone call from the monitoring center will call you if you do not reset the alarm within 30 seconds of the text message. If you do not respond or you are not with the vehicle in question, the call center immediately dispatches to police in the area of the vehicle by Geo-Caching the area. The cop gets a full GoogleEarth map with a blip of your vehicle and all the personal data taken from you upon signing up.

To this date, all monitored vehicles with this system have been recovered within 2 hours of theft. Approximately 85% had ZERO damage! High Tech theives are looking for LoJack radio frequencies and other transmitted devices on cars these days. The PTS system uses Bluetooth, GPS, GPRS and ZigBee for its monitoring. So it gives off no RF for theives to be wary of. They take the property and they get caught. The real beauty... when this system goes active it starts copying and relaying ESN info to the dispatcher. So now, the police not only know where the property is... but if Lil Rob doesn't have a prepaid phone, the cops have his good credit girlfriend's info too!

Our biggest fear at times is that our cars will be shipped in a container. This system was originally designed for tracking containers and it works within one. Its simply another fine military tool with civilian applications.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach