Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Call it SPAM if you like Cabrio. Its informing to know there are better systems out there. I would bet the person missing their car right now would like to know who, what & where his car is.

Since you are in Alpharetta, come by the shop sometime.
http://www.topspeedsales.com
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by PixxByTango
Call it SPAM if you like Cabrio. Its informing to know there are better systems out there. I would bet the person missing their car right now would like to know who, what & where his car is.

Since you are in Alpharetta, come by the shop sometime.
http://www.topspeedsales.com
Sorry, It sounded and it read like a cut-n-paste spam message from someone trying to sell unsolicited products/services. Maybe it wasn't, but sure looked like one.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I could take the original post either way (which is why I deleted it while reading it)... After readig it - I think Pixx was trying to point out an alternative rather then promote his business... So - I put his post back...

Carry on guys!

John
Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Sorry, It sounded and it read like a cut-n-paste spam message from someone trying to sell unsolicited products/services. Maybe it wasn't, but sure looked like one.
LOL!! Its cool. I'm just that good. I believe in the product and I have it on my own toys. I worked for TxDPS in the aviation dept and have witnessed LoJack losses first-hand. Its a painful feeling when you put your faith into a product sold to keep your "Baby" safe and it lets you down.

I have the system on my Hayabusa. I was st00pid once and parked it at the mall. Activated the system and walked inside. About 45 minutes later while trying on pants, I received the text alert. Well I was too far away to disarm it, I was half dressed and took the call. The dispatcher alerted a nearby deputy who was working perimeter on the mall. He stopped a kid with his girlfriend on my bike taking pics for his MySpace page. All it took was tipping the bike off the kickstand. Same can be said for lifting a car onto a wrecker bed or moving it.

I let the kid go after the cop had him cuffed & stuffed til I made it there with pants on. I can bet he won't ever do that again.

I believe in this system and have seen it work. That is why I gave such detail in its description. LoJack and other GPS only based systems cannot keep our toys safe. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
PixxByTango
Advanced

Originally Posted by John D.
I could take the original post either way (which is why I deleted it while reading it)... After readig it - I think Pixx was trying to point out an alternative rather then promote his business... So - I put his post back...

Carry on guys!

John
Thanks! I am not offering this as a product I sell now. I just want people to be better informed about the shortcomings of LoJack from a perspective that I witnessed while flying with TxDPS. The majority of LoJack monitoring systems that were found, were recovered in a dumpster or ditch. LoJack says they have a "High Percentage of System recoveries..." Only problem is that they don't say how many of those systems still have the car attached!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Sorry if I offended you.
Didn't offended me. I just get enough spam as it is on my e-mail and the last place I wanted to see more of that is here on rennlist. Sorry for mistaking your informative post as a spam one. We sure are getting our share of that here lately.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I will say that in my experience LoJack is a joke. Here in Houston, have witnessed many times how the police are much too busy for the bother of trying to triangulate the signal and only a small few of the cars are equipped with systems to even track such. LoJack only works... AFTER your car or bike has been JACKED and AFTER you find out it has been JACKED, call the PoPo and they file the police report which could take til the end of their shift.
Well, in Los Angeles it is a bit different. The police get the stolen vehicle information into the system immediately. It is a "shall do" not a "may". And, I have seen first hand the response when a LoJack activation occurs. When one is received, the hunt is on. All air units in Los Angeles have LoJack.

That said, I like the Global Tracking system.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 12-28-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^For those of you who don't know, Chuck has first-hand knowledge of all things LAPD. ^^^
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

The OP was on 12/24. So it's now been four days. I hope, for your sake, they never find it and that you have good Fire/Theft insurance. I say this as in my life I've had two cars stolen. In both cases, relatively inexpensive American cars. Both were taken for joyrides and although they were both recovered within a day, neither car was ever "right" after return. I wound up selling each of them within a couple of weeks of their return to me from the local dealer after being "gone over and repaired".

I had transmission problems with each from the moment I drove them after their return.

I keep thinking of all the posts on this forum to "drive it like you stole it". Well, with things like rev limiters on our 993's, and the world class suspensions and brakes, perhaps whoever took it really can't "harm it" by driving it hard. But I always think of the scene in Ferris Buhler's Day Off (or the Police Car chase in The Blues Brothers) where the parking lot guys take the Ferrari for a joy ride. They show the car being "airborne" over whoop-de-doos. I shudder thinking of all that could be "wrong" after such a joy ride.

I know this sucks - but after it's all settled, you can have the thrill of finding a replacement ride and then getting the new car into the shape you want it to be.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well put PorscheMike.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile If I parked in the city, I'd...

have a LoJack and get a Denver Boot for my car every time it was parked. Really sad to lose a possession that you love...I have had bad dreams about my car being stolen...it hasn't happened yet...hope it doesn't.

I wish for a speedy recovery for the stolen Turbo car.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Blue993TurboStolen
6th Gear

Default No News - Gotta believe its long gone

No hits on the lojack.

for the guys out there that know, is lojack powered off the battery?

If Lojack has a internal backup, can that be any good after 13 years?

Location - CDM, below PCH.

As to a potential problem with the dealer, I bought the car five years ago plus, and they don't know where I live today. Alarm unit went bad last month after two years of storage and was replaced - mechanic is very honest, has worked for me for 25 years. Talked to him about where the unit came from, he says when they are installed they become unique to the car, vender would not know where the car is, etc.

I firmly believe it was a repo style tow truck, takes 6 seconds to back up, flip out arms, lift back end, and depart. Ballsy, but it's a quick run up MacArthur to the freeway and gone. We use to own a office building at the 73 onramp - smash & grab was a twice a month experience.

GPS pinger/tracker is the deal to install if you want to get it back. Then finding it is in your hands - clearly, the police have no time for it.

I question whether lojack was turned on before my second call to them - first operator's goal was to get me off the phone ASAP, did verify car had lojack, would not verify it was turned on. Second one at least checked they had seen the police VIN report come through. Funny part is if you were a thief, just call Lojack - they will verify without any password that the car is equipped...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss. My advice would be to file the insurance paperwork and start shopping for a replacement. I think you were a victim of a specific, targeted, theft. I don't know what "CDM" is (not from LA.) But I doubt joyriders would go after a 993 Turbo in the LA area. Odds are your car will be out of the country soon, if not already.
Like I said above, It sucks, but have fun shopping! You will find that the people here on RL will help you more than you might believe. People will preview distant cars, offer rides from airport, etc...Seriously, you'll be amazed at the resources here.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue993TurboStolen
I firmly believe it was a repo style tow truck, takes 6 seconds to back up, flip out arms, lift back end, and depart. Ballsy, but it's a quick run up MacArthur to the freeway and gone.
Dumb question, but can you tow an AWD car on 2 wheels w/o doing some serious damage?

Quick Reply: 1996 Dk Blue Twin Turbo Stolen Newport Beach