Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Who knows about '93-'98 Supras, I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 AM
mlk118s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who knows about '93-'98 Supras, I need some help.

A few months back I purchased a very nice '96 Non-Turbo Supra, totally unmolested and right out of the box dead stock. I am a Porsche/Ferrari nut so the Supra community I know very little about. I am wanting to sell it but it seems every website that I find is full of 800 Horsepower Fast & Furious wannabes. All have stupid "upgrades" and absurd body work, quite a few have questionable backgrounds/carfaxes/salvage titles. This one is a museum piece. I want to find a place to list it where it will be seen by people that want a time warp car and WILL NOT go on to bastardize this one as it seems every other one is. Yes, I am a car dealer and am not really trying to push the car here, I have had and sold many Porsche and other high end cars and only really ever tried to push 2 on here in my nearly 6 years of membership because they were either exceptional examples or very unique. I would rather sell it to someone that will keep it the way it is forever then go for max profit. I know that goes against what a dealer is supposed to do, but its very rare for me come across a car that A: I fall in love with. and B: Is as nice as this car. What is the best way to promote this car to Supra enthusiasts ? I know it's not a Twin Turbo 6-Speed, but I highly doubt there is one of those as nice as this car. If I am posting in the wrong place I am sorry, but I really didn't know where else to go with it, and 993 guys seem to be quite up on other cars too.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Love the Soops but probably what will happen is it will end up with a turbo large enough to suck a small farm animal through! Love the turbos with no rear wing!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I see you are in St Louis so...
There is a Toyota dealer near St Charles Mo. on the North side of I-70 whose owner who is a Supra guy. He has a race prepped Supra that he brings to PCA DE events and he also has a stock low miles turbo and a he recently purchased a museum piece MR2. Maybe he would be interested in your car? He would be a good place to start, his first name is Tom, I'll let you guess the last name if you know the dealership.

Don't mean to be vauge but I hope you will know who I am talking about, if not PM me.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
mlk118s
Instructor

rsr - Thanks. I do know who you are talking about, and I know his father a little bit. I assume the last name in question starts with the letter "P" and is greek? Actually we purchased an new Land Cruiser from him in '99. They are sometimes known for being difficult on the dealer to dealer side. But something I may look into. There must be a site like this where people who beleive in cars staying the way they came from the factory for cars like this, at least I hope there is. A fabulous car, such a shame so many are destroyed by people that really just don't get it.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Steen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be a longshot, but there is a Land Cruiser forum filled with guys who live and breathe Toyota (I know, I'm one of them) and they would appreciate a mint Supra. I would as well but my garage is full.

web site is http://www.ih8mud.com

I'd be happy to post the info for you and point them to you. Can't say it would generate a ton of traffic, but you only need one and it's a good target audience.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Steen
Might be a longshot, but there is a Land Cruiser forum filled with guys who live and breathe Toyota (I know, I'm one of them) and they would appreciate a mint Supra. I would as well but my garage is full.

web site is http://www.ih8mud.com

I'd be happy to post the info for you and point them to you. Can't say it would generate a ton of traffic, but you only need one and it's a good target audience.
also 6speedonline.com. Haven't been on ih8mud in ages...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
mlk118s
Instructor

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming, I am going to take fresh photos today prior to the snow thats due here.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by mlk118s
Non-Turbo Supra,
Thats your problem right there. The reason the TT version of those cars is in such high demand is their ability to hold a lot of power on the stock motor. Not the case with your car, as museum quality as it may be.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

I realize that its not being a Twin Turbo certainly makes a huge difference. I have driven those before and are great cars, but....and anyone who has ever looked will see most are 'Rode hard and put away wet'. This car is no rocket ship but it doesnt have to be. It just drives so well, Porsche like steering, fantastic layout, etc. The car will still run to 145 MPH without any problems, it just takes longer to get there and is smoother to boot. I hadn't really gotten to drive one of these cars extensively until this one, past encounters with other Turbo and Non-Turbo cars were breif. It is the only Japanese car I have ever driven that hooked me, and its not even all that fast. When people see it they go nuts and its a silver one the most dull color they offered. Every 'Ricer kid considers it the holy grail and wants to look closer at it. The other BIG plus of this car is that it really has not been in a wreck, its an honest car that deserves the right person to take care of it. They will all be collectable and 20 years from now, real collectors are not going to want a compermised car I don't think. Hell, who wants a non-factory Slant Nose today, or a car with all the gaudy '80s stuff we often see on ebay 911s. Stock is always the best way to go. Right?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Well here's my thinking:

If the MKIV TT had not been built (i.e. only NA engine options existed), the cars would be worth almost nothing, and the demand for them would be near zero. The reason the NA cars generate any interest is because they look just like the TT cars and with engine swaps and such, its not horribly difficult to turn an NA MKIV into a turbo one. So really, while it may be in great condition, and very smooth, the demand for these cars comes from the JDM/Tuner crowd, not older collectors looking for a showroom model.

I think you have a really nice example of a fairly undesirable car, and it might sell, but don't be surprised if its engine swapped or turbo'ed after the sale. The sale price will most likely not be brilliant.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

I disagree. Honda never made a TT Civic....but everyone loves to modify those. The Civic nameplate is a legend in its own right as is a Supra, or a Corvette, or a 911 etc... The Supra TT was a halo car to be certain, but the cars already had a following when the MKIV came out. Turbos or no, it was a unique looking car and it did have an appeal just from that. Even today the car draws a ton of looks. Maybe if someone does an nice tasteful and discrete upgrade i would be ok with it. Will it be collectible? Most certainly....its just to what extent. My uncle had a friend who bought a Purple 427 AC Cobra in the late 60's for a few grand. Nick Mason from Pink Floyd got his Ferrari 250 GTO in 1970 for 7000 pounds. People used to think that old cars were just that, little did they know what they would be worth today. With product branding and image coming so far in the last 40 years those are day never to be seen again. Just as the 911 or 959, Daytona or F40, are icons to us, to my generation (current age 30) and younger they think of the NSX,SKYLINE and Supra in the same esteem. No, just for the record I am not comparing a Toyota Supra to an AC Cobra, or GTO....but in time who knows.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

By the way, I really am enjoying this, kinda thought this thread may fall on its face. I am glad it isn't for the few of us following it. Please keep the comments comming.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

What are the specs? Miles/colors/pix? How much?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mlk118s
I disagree. Honda never made a TT Civic....but everyone loves to modify those. The Civic nameplate is a legend in its own right as is a Supra, or a Corvette, or a 911 etc... The Supra TT was a halo car to be certain, but the cars already had a following when the MKIV came out. Turbos or no, it was a unique looking car and it did have an appeal just from that. Even today the car draws a ton of looks. Maybe if someone does an nice tasteful and discrete upgrade i would be ok with it. Will it be collectible? Most certainly....its just to what extent. My uncle had a friend who bought a Purple 427 AC Cobra in the late 60's for a few grand. Nick Mason from Pink Floyd got his Ferrari 250 GTO in 1970 for 7000 pounds. People used to think that old cars were just that, little did they know what they would be worth today. With product branding and image coming so far in the last 40 years those are day never to be seen again. Just as the 911 or 959, Daytona or F40, are icons to us, to my generation (current age 30) and younger they think of the NSX,SKYLINE and Supra in the same esteem. No, just for the record I am not comparing a Toyota Supra to an AC Cobra, or GTO....but in time who knows.
The Civic may have a legendary nameplate, but what exactly is it legendary for? Mostly a cheap ride that can be modded cheaply. "Also rans" like a NA Supra usually never become classics or very collectible. There are exceptions, to be sure, but with the Supra you're talking about a mass produced Japanese car that, while unique looking, is not gorgeous to most. The fact that you're talking about a NA Supra means your talking about the less desirable stepchild. So I would question your assertion that your NA Supra will become relatively collectible in the coming years. I say "relatively" because any car that's around in say, 50 years, will have some collectible value. But that same NA Supra in 50 years will still be worth way, way, way less than a TT Supra.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
AaronSweat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Well here's my thinking:

If the MKIV TT had not been built (i.e. only NA engine options existed), the cars would be worth almost nothing, and the demand for them would be near zero. The reason the NA cars generate any interest is because they look just like the TT cars and with engine swaps and such, its not horribly difficult to turn an NA MKIV into a turbo one. So really, while it may be in great condition, and very smooth, the demand for these cars comes from the JDM/Tuner crowd, not older collectors looking for a showroom model.

I think you have a really nice example of a fairly undesirable car, and it might sell, but don't be surprised if its engine swapped or turbo'ed after the sale. The sale price will most likely not be brilliant.
I agree with these thoughts. If you want it to be a survivor you should probably keep it yourself.

Quick Reply: Who knows about '93-'98 Supras, I need some help.