Sponsored by:

Is 128,000 miles too high?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Is 128,000 miles too high?

I was looking for a DE/ Autocross car and came across an 1995 C2 NB - that looked brand new yet had 128,000 miles on it. It was the colour combination that I wanted and a very straight car - and that I could build off of. My plan was an Aero 1 package, wheels, suspension, ECU, mufflers et al.

It was owned by the same guy for 14 1/2 years and on consignment at a Porsche dealer who had serviced the car for 7 years - which was the entire time the Porsche dealer in the owner's area was open. Prior to that, the old owner commuted into the Porsche dealer in Atlanta.

I was told the car defied its' age. They sent me 25 pictures and the ALL service records which were obviously very detailed. Everything was like new - I mean new...every picture and close up demonstated a finish like a piece of class or an interior that had never been sat in. It was the old owners primary DD - hence the mileage - and traded it for a GT 3. Owner (an electrical engineer) kept a log book throughout the life of the car, maintained it to a T, never drove it in the rain, picked rocks out of the tires after taking it out - etceteras.

I am in Canada and never seen the car but took the Porsche salesman and service manager's professional opinion to the quality of the car. The Service manager shared with me that he wanted to buy it himself as he explained - yet he has two young kids a mortgage and well you know the rest. After conversation with the owner I pulled the trigger site unseen that this was the ideal car for me to build off of.

Call me crazy, but even with the mileage and given the history, this thing should last to 300,000 miles with proper maintenance and given I paid $ 19,000.00..should I not be thrilled with this deal??

All the cars on the board talk everyone talks about seem to have no mileage on them.....
Old 11-27-2009, 08:04 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

You got taken for a ride. That car will only give to 200K more miles of driving fun instead of 245K.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures man, pictures! Was the car in Atlanta?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the deal of primary importance? I think it's asking a lot of the mechanicals to go to 300K purely on maintenance, especially if your desire is to subject the car to the track. That said, many track cars really aren't pushed much harder than they are on the street. Point of comparison, at 138K the driveline in my RS America is most certainly ready for a freshening. But it still works just fine when it's pressed into track duty. At 125K my C4S is just fine; it had a top end at 75K.

Bottom line is that my yellow car was purchased with ~120K miles on it cheap, and the previous owner basically spent what a GT3 cost to make it into a proper track car.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,105 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Did you buy it local and did you pay $19k in US or CAD?

Sounds like a fine car. I've owned two higher mile 993s, one with 80k and one with 90k and they were both bullitt proof. Has the car had a top end? Did you get a PPI? Compression and leakdown numbers would say a lot about how much fun you can squeeze out of it before you have to do some refreshing.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Is the deal of primary importance? I think it's asking a lot of the mechanicals to go to 300K purely on maintenance, especially if your desire is to subject the car to the track. That said, many track cars really aren't pushed much harder than they are on the street. Point of comparison, at 138K the driveline in my RS America is most certainly ready for a freshening. But it still works just fine when it's pressed into track duty. At 125K my C4S is just fine; it had a top end at 75K.

Bottom line is that my yellow car was purchased with ~120K miles on it cheap, and the previous owner basically spent what a GT3 cost to make it into a proper track car.

Sorry...what I meant by my comment to "going to 300K miles" was more the bullet proof nature of the air cooled machine. I understand entirely about your post to the costs of developing a proper track car - I don't want it to be a race winner...just "quick" and fun - and neat to look at. I traded my 97 C4S which I bought new for a Y2K Cab with an aero package new in 2000...which I regretted ever since. Getting this 95 air cooled is my best attempt at righting that wrong on the less expensive side given I have a new TT with PDK due in March. I got the aero 1 on e bay for my 95 will add ecu, mufflers, seat (maybe two) and then better bits as things wear out. Much of the fun with this piece is the wild (by my standard) colour, the body kit, and the performance enhancements - much of which will be done in my garage with my son. There are limited supply of air cooled cars to be found in Canada - and they are very expensive (but have little mileage because many are stored winters).

Opinion on value given the condition?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
Pictures man, pictures! Was the car in Atlanta?

No the car was in TN. BTW....I love your car...

Overdraft
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. What defines is too high? You could buy a 30k car and have to spend $$$ on maintenance right away and get a 120k and not have to. Truth be told, even if you have to spend $$$ in the next year or two it will be small compared to the depreciation on a new TT. At least that is what I tell myself when I'm considering a new 997. Now if I could just figure out how to swing a company lease I'd be set.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Welcome and congrats! Did you buy it local and did you pay $19k in US or CAD?

Sounds like a fine car. I've owned two higher mile 993s, one with 80k and one with 90k and they were both bullitt proof. Has the car had a top end? Did you get a PPI? Compression and leakdown numbers would say a lot about how much fun you can squeeze out of it before you have to do some refreshing.
Yes - found it needed wires, plugs, alternator, belts and a wheel bearing - all done. No leaks..solid.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
Congrats on the purchase. What defines is too high? You could buy a 30k car and have to spend $$$ on maintenance right away and get a 120k and not have to. Truth be told, even if you have to spend $$$ in the next year or two it will be small compared to the depreciation on a new TT. At least that is what I tell myself when I'm considering a new 997. Now if I could just figure out how to swing a company lease I'd be set.
Agreed....I don't even want to think about the TT depretiation but comforted by the fact that it will be at least a 10 year car (like my last cab) for me and the stroking of one 'to do' item on the bucket list...

Overdraft
Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you got a good deal. Post up some pics. Do get a compression an leakdown and track oil usage. Given the detailed records, you are probably good for a while, but keep top end rebuild in the back of your mind.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,105 Likes on 1,814 Posts

I think you did extremely well if you paid CAD$19k landed in ON. I think you did very, very well if you paid US$19k + shipping and duty. Someone here recently paid US$20k for an excellent ~120k mi example.

Now all we need is the mandatory pictures.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations!
How did you find the car?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d964
Congratulations!

I scoured Autotrader.com & Autotrader.ca, E Bay Auto and Dupont Registry for a couple of months. When I saw this one on E bay, it was the colour and opening bid that got me interested - then when I phoned all the players and where talking to knowledgable Porsche guys at the car's servicing dealer I focussed on that particular unit. I found most if the cars in this price point had limited history and documentation - and access for me to objective 1st hand opinions of the vehcile - which this car certainly had. Given my geographical distance away, this proved to push me to moving on this one....and the old owner was just a hell of a nice guy and a car maniac like me.

Overdraft
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d964
Congratulations!
Originally Posted by Louis J.
I think you did extremely well if you paid CAD$19k landed in ON. I think you did very, very well if you paid US$19k + shipping and duty. Someone here recently paid US$20k for an excellent ~120k mi example.

Now all we need is the mandatory pictures.
Hey Louis $19K US and I have to get it here...but because of the manufacturing date, it doesn't have to enter under the RIV program so just the 6% duty - and of course our beloved Candian taxes!. Per the previous post, hard to find one with this much history at this price. I'll be sure to post pictures of the car - when I get it....because the ones I have are not very exciting.

Quick Reply: Is 128,000 miles too high?