Sponsored by:

New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I am totally with you on your points. Autox is a completely different animal.

The thing that gets me with these wheels is that I'm not sure where their proper usage would be.

They're probably too light for the street and will bend easily. Being unrepairable, they're disposable. I'm not saying you couldn't drive them on the street, but chances are you'll hit a pothole and it'll be done. I have a set of 19" cargraphics on my car now (crazy heavy but built like a tank) and I've managed to get a bend or two on the inside lip of those. And I'm realllllly careful.

In the same breath, their weight would fantastic on the track, but will they hold up to the rigors of track use?

I have to "assume" OZ would not put them in the "Racing" category if they weren't confident in the strength of the wheel. I just don't know enough about this HLT process... However, as someone mentioned here I believe... Aren't Porsche wheels cast? People run those all day long without giving it a second thought.
Many of you guys are quick to associate price with quality. Just because a wheel isn't forged does not at all mean it can't be strong as one. I'd put these wheels against any forged wheel twice the cost for strength because I know how OZ makes them. They are extremely proud of their race heritage and will not put their name on a wheel that is not 100% trackworthy.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

From what I read on their website, it sounds like they use casting to make wheels that look like race wheels and forging for wheels that will go on the track. This is obviously subjective...

From OZ's site:

The single piece philosophy produced with very modern technologies, but followed with the attention dedicated to a craft made product, makes it possible to apply the same qualitative plus of the Formula 1 wheels also in the wheels being mounted on our vehicles: in OZ factory the same product lines manufacture the mythical Superturismo both for competition and street use, continuously sharing know-how technologies in racing and in the wheels for the After Market collections.

OZ uses two metal processes: casting and forging. The first is mainly used in the production of After Market vanguard technological solutions characterizing competition wheels (Whatever the hell that means...). Forging follows a basically different production process, which highlights the physical and mechanical features of the alloy, making them suitable for the use in competition, or for high prestige road applications and very high technological standard.

Metals used in the production of light alloy wheels are aluminium and magnesium. They are non-ferrous metals with physical and mechanical features presenting small quantities of binding elements, such as silicon, copper, manganese, zinc, nickel and titanium. OZ wheels are produced by using different aluminium or magnesium alloys; they can be cast or forged according to the kind of market they are projected for.
Usually aluminium alloy wheels are destined to the After Market, either for the car or motorbikemarket. They are for road use. The choice of the aluminium alloy composition is decided accordingto the wheel's features required by the market.
Magnesium alloy wheels, considering their high costs, optimium mechanical characteristics andlightness, are produced exclusively for competition use to supply Formula 1, Rally, Formula 3000,Super Touring Car, Le Mans, IRL and Superbike Teams.
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Many of you guys are quick to associate price with quality. Just because a wheel isn't forged does not at all mean it can't be strong as one. I'd put these wheels against any forged wheel twice the cost for strength because I know how OZ makes them. They are extremely proud of their race heritage and will not put their name on a wheel that is not 100% trackworthy.
OZ implies that forging is ideal for competition, while casting is a product better suited for "technological solutions characterizing competition wheels."

I would love, love, love to have an inexpensive wheel that is strong enough for track duty. I think that CCW's come pretty close to that goal, for you can buy a set of new wheels for about $2,800. But the adage "light, cheap, strong: pick two" seems to very much apply to the various Porsche wheel offerings. I hope I am wrong as it applies to OZ's Alleggeritas. CCW's are not the lightest, but they do seem to be fairly stout. That that they are $1,000 less (but not $2,000 less) than the BBS, Forgeline, Fikse wheels is seeming testament to either the compromise with weight versus strength and/or a marketing decision by CCW to not overprice their wheels. I do sure wish CCW's were as pretty as Fikses . . .

Just rambling.

<edit> I certainly don't mean to poo-poo the OZ's or the OP's choice in wheels. I have looked at these wheels as possible alternatives for me. I'll compromise on a lot of things just to show up to the race track, but I do worry about compromising on strength. The last thing I want to do is ball up my car and get hurt because I made a poor choice, be it with wheels or a bad passing attempt.

BTW, Damon, do you know what sort of loads (in ft/lbs) that the Alleggeritas are rated for?

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-02-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

They appear to be track worthy, according to both OZ and a GT3 owner that is currently using them.

See this link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...ml#post7043904
Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Paul! I would love to see them in person.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a set too. Hopefully they will be here tomorrow. Black with MPSC's.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Mike, they look wicked cool in person. I think Paul made an excellent choice for his car. They really look all-business!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I certainly don't mean to poo-poo the OZ's or the OP's choice in wheels. I have looked at these wheels as possible alternatives for me. I'll compromise on a lot of things just to show up to the race track, but I do worry about compromising on strength. The last thing I want to do is ball up my car and get hurt because I made a poor choice, be it with wheels or a bad passing attempt.

BTW, Damon, do you know what sort of loads (in ft/lbs) that the Alleggeritas are rated for?
Yup!

Agree, would be interested in data.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I got an email from OZ that they were designed with track use in mind.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an email from OZ that they were designed with track use in mind.
As are Dymag's.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

True enough. OZ has a pretty solid reputation though and the wheel in question is TUV approved. It's my understanding that TUV is much more stringent that DOT.

What was the story behind this failure? Did it come apart as a result of the spoke connection at the carbon or was it the spokes themselves? Dymag has had more than a few incidents with these wheels from what I understand.

Last edited by deputydog95; 11-04-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

My OZ's came in today. Can't wait to mount them up this weekend!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Thanks Mike, hopefully I will see you soon, maybe at FDM. I used one of your threads to help me put black 996 seats in my car. Also just dyed rear seats and trim black with surflex. Much better now, was too much cashmere before
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

My OZ's came in today. Can't wait to mount them up this weekend!
Nice DD, be sure to post pics. You were lucky, mine took 60 days to get here from Italy, looks like Damon ordered extras
Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pstraub
Thanks Mike, hopefully I will see you soon, maybe at FDM. I used one of your threads to help me put black 996 seats in my car. Also just dyed rear seats and trim black with surflex. Much better now, was too much cashmere before
Sounds like you've been busy....... we need to plan a mini get-together at FDM soon (maybe sometime next weekend if I can get away for a few hours).
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Damon,
Do you have any of the blues in stock for a 95 993?
And, of course, we can expect a nice 25% off sale for Christmas...

Quick Reply: New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black