Sponsored by:

New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Beautiful wheels. I know a few STi guys who are using them for autocross (light, relatively cheap), but I personally wouldn't use them at the track. Nonetheless, for a daily driver... sweet .
How are they holding up? I may pull the trigger on a set with some Hoosiers.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 AM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the color combo...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
How are they holding up? I may pull the trigger on a set with some Hoosiers.
For the small sample size, just fine

Autocross = lower speeds and peak loads, no curbs, generally smooth surfaces, and less to hit (walls) if you have a mechanical failure.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

VERY NICE!

love the wheels for look & weight. perfect on your GR RS-trimmed coupe.
unfortunately they do not fit/match my midnightblue car...

btw: what do you think about a GR stripe at the lip?

Last edited by J.A.W.S.; 12-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Looks awesome! by the way, do you mind telling me what suspension you are running, the ride height is perfect
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
For the small sample size, just fine

Autocross = lower speeds and peak loads, no curbs, generally smooth surfaces, and less to hit (walls) if you have a mechanical failure.
I am totally with you on your points. Autox is a completely different animal.

The thing that gets me with these wheels is that I'm not sure where their proper usage would be.

They're probably too light for the street and will bend easily. Being unrepairable, they're disposable. I'm not saying you couldn't drive them on the street, but chances are you'll hit a pothole and it'll be done. I have a set of 19" cargraphics on my car now (crazy heavy but built like a tank) and I've managed to get a bend or two on the inside lip of those. And I'm realllllly careful.

In the same breath, their weight would fantastic on the track, but will they hold up to the rigors of track use?

I have to "assume" OZ would not put them in the "Racing" category if they weren't confident in the strength of the wheel. I just don't know enough about this HLT process... However, as someone mentioned here I believe... Aren't Porsche wheels cast? People run those all day long without giving it a second thought.

I'm starting to do enough DE's now where it would be more cost effective to get a set of track wheels and tires than to keep replacing my crazy $$$ street tires routinely. The initial investment is a bit much, but if you can get a season (8 days) out of set of Hoosiers, a set of track wheels has paid for itself when compared to the price of $1600 for a set of PS2's for my car, which would probably be replaced at least twice during the same season when combined with street driving. And not to mention they PS2's would not have nearly the same level of adhesion.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

IMHO it's stretch to criticize these for being cast, considering Porsche has been equipping its best cars with cast wheels for years. Plenty of us track our cars with cast porsche wheels with no problems. OZ has a really good reputation so I would expect similar quality to OEM cast porsche wheels.

Sure, the racers prefer forged, and that's certainly fine, but forged are also double the price.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.A.W.S.
VERY NICE!

love the wheels for look & weight. perfect on your GR RS-trimmed coupe.
unfortunately they do not fit/match my midnightblue car...

btw: what do you think about a GR stripe at the lip?
Thanks for the look, not bad at all. Right now I am going for the stealth look, going to get some new center caps with Porsche crest and paint them all black. Thanks again for the images.....Paul
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsiu
Looks awesome! by the way, do you mind telling me what suspension you are running, the ride height is perfect
Sure, I am running the Bilstein HDs with H&R Sport springs. That is the first thing I did when I got the car 4 years ago (it still had the stock suspension). That lowered the car approx 1.3" (33mm), no rubbing, love the handling and the ride (firm and fun). Paul
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Super Light and Cheap...

About $400 a wheel...the fronts at 16 Lbs, no spec on the rear weight...let's guess 19...still light.

The above story of a Cup Wheel failing on the track , what a buzz kill.

I have MY 2002 996 wheels...sure hope they don't fail!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:57 PM
ddsiu
Instructor

Originally Posted by pstraub
Sure, I am running the Bilstein HDs with H&R Sport springs. That is the first thing I did when I got the car 4 years ago (it still had the stock suspension). That lowered the car approx 1.3" (33mm), no rubbing, love the handling and the ride (firm and fun). Paul
Didnt mean to hyjack your thread, but thats what I thought. Thanks for the info
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

All this talk of the stresses on the wheels is making me wonder how long any wheel can take the stresses of the track. Just like any metal under pressure, eventually it will fail.

So what is the lifespan of a track wheel?

Using D-Dog as an example. Eight track days per year, say four run sessions per day. That is only 32 heat cycles per year. Is that a lot for a wheel? If the wheels have 320 heat cycles in them that is not bad. If the wheels have 16 heat cycles that is not such a good deal.

BTW, D-Dog, I highly recommend MPSC for your first track tire. I went from P/S2s to MPSCs last year. What a difference, you should be able to get at least a full year out of one set, maybe even two years.

--Joe

PS. Sorry for hy-jacking the thread. I still love the wheels. Personally, I think I will pull the trigger in late winter (depending on some work issues).
Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

So what is the lifespan of a track wheel?
Answer is "it depends", and it has nothing to do with heat cycles.

Look at stock Fuchs, many of which have been tracked/raced for DECADES and TENS of thousands of miles. While they too eventually can fail, I would venture to say a wheel with that level of integity is essentially bulletproof. I would think you'd be able to get similar quality from the likes of BBS, OZ, etc.

At a price. Just not sure if $400 is it, though.

Incidentally, all track wheels merit regular inspection. Cracks WILL happen, key is to get 'em before an outright failure.

M
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

FANTASTIC!!!!!

Thanks for posting up pics! Now that we have decent inventory in most sizes we are ready for the spring buying season.

Glad you like them.

Quick Reply: New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black