Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep coming back to look at these wheels because they look so good, esp. on your car. The contrast is so nice on your GR car. The other plus is they look like they're easy to clean (and not just because they're black).
Old 10-31-2009, 05:41 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The other plus is they look like they're easy to clean (and not just because they're black).
Exactly, I have been running the Porsche/BBS Sport Classic II's. I love the wheels but the intricate spoke pattern makes cleaning more of a chore. Thanks, Paul
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish they made them in an 11 rear
Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub

For how the Alleggeritas will hold up to track use, I can tell you that OZ is no stranger to high-end racing wheels (Formula 1, etc) and they list these under their 'Racing' category.
It gives me pause that they're not forged. The track is no place to have a wheel bend or break... The loads they'll be subjected to at the track will be significantly higher than anything they would ever see on the street.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:18 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

From what I read on their website, it sounds like they use casting to make wheels that look like race wheels and forging for wheels that will go on the track. This is obviously subjective...

From OZ's site:

The single piece philosophy produced with very modern technologies, but followed with the attention dedicated to a craft made product, makes it possible to apply the same qualitative plus of the Formula 1 wheels also in the wheels being mounted on our vehicles: in OZ factory the same product lines manufacture the mythical Superturismo both for competition and street use, continuously sharing know-how technologies in racing and in the wheels for the After Market collections.

OZ uses two metal processes: casting and forging. The first is mainly used in the production of After Market vanguard technological solutions characterizing competition wheels (Whatever the hell that means...). Forging follows a basically different production process, which highlights the physical and mechanical features of the alloy, making them suitable for the use in competition, or for high prestige road applications and very high technological standard.

Metals used in the production of light alloy wheels are aluminium and magnesium. They are non-ferrous metals with physical and mechanical features presenting small quantities of binding elements, such as silicon, copper, manganese, zinc, nickel and titanium. OZ wheels are produced by using different aluminium or magnesium alloys; they can be cast or forged according to the kind of market they are projected for.
Usually aluminium alloy wheels are destined to the After Market, either for the car or motorbikemarket. They are for road use. The choice of the aluminium alloy composition is decided accordingto the wheel's features required by the market.
Magnesium alloy wheels, considering their high costs, optimium mechanical characteristics andlightness, are produced exclusively for competition use to supply Formula 1, Rally, Formula 3000,Super Touring Car, Le Mans, IRL and Superbike Teams.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
From what I read on their website, it sounds like they use casting to make wheels that look like race wheels and forging for wheels that will go on the track.
OK deputydog, you have convinced me, I am officially withdrawing my wildcard entry in the Monaco Grand Prix next May But seriously, for my usage, I am only going to occasionally be breaking the local speed limits with them. Someone else will need to test them in racing conditions. I do think that if any inexpensive wheel is going to hold up on the track, it would be from a mfg like OZ. Cheers, Paul
Old 10-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
I do think that if any inexpensive wheel is going to hold up on the track, it would be from a mfg like OZ. Cheers, Paul
The phrase "makes it possible to apply the same qualitative plus of the Formula 1 wheels also in the wheels being mounted on our vehicles" makes me more than a bit dubious.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels and car look great. I like the wheels a lot. I might be tempted to stay with the Porsche center caps...
chuck
Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I'm very interested. The price, looks, and weight are very appealing. What I'm trying to avoid is saving a little money on wheels and have some sort of catastrophic failure at the track. If I had some real assurance that they wouldn't bend or crack under extreme conditions I would be all over this.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Beautiful wheels. I know a few STi guys who are using them for autocross (light, relatively cheap), but I personally wouldn't use them at the track. Nonetheless, for a daily driver... sweet .
Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info D-Dog.

How do DEs fit into the picture? Are they as stressful on parts as racing?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

It gives me pause that they're not forged. The track is no place to have a wheel bend or break... The loads they'll be subjected to at the track will be significantly higher than anything they would ever see on the street.
Keep in mind it's been over 20 (!) years since Porsche actually fit forged wheels to their cars. Any many of us have no qualms about using these wheels in DE and racing...

Now, as for this particular OZ wheel, who knows how well it's built. But casting itslef is not a fatal flaw. Specs, materials, design and QC however, may be.

M
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floodj
Thanks for the info D-Dog.

How do DEs fit into the picture? Are they as stressful on parts as racing?

Depends on how hard you drive, but I'd say its close. Even at DE levels, you're running much much harder than anything you could ever hope to see on the street.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Keep in mind it's been over 20 (!) years since Porsche actually fit forged wheels to their cars. Any many of us have no qualms about using these wheels in DE and racing...

Now, as for this particular OZ wheel, who knows how well it's built. But casting itslef is not a fatal flaw. Specs, materials, design and QC however, may be.

M
You bring up good points. I'm tempted to try them out. OZ has a great reputation. When reviewing their site, it would seem the QC and materials are top notch.

I'm trying to decide between picking up a set of OEM Porsche 5 spokes or these OZ's for track wheels. I really like the look and weight of the OZ's.

Quick Reply: New Wheels - OZ Alleggeritas in black