Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of the World as We Know It Announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Sharing of the platform doesn't mean re-badging. The Audi TT, A4, VW CC, and Passat are all built on the "A" platform. I wouldn't call them "re-badged."
A VW or Audi on the 911 platform would more likely be an Audi product, as VW tried the upscale thing with the Phaeton and failed. Maybe a Super TT or something.
I still think it is bad for the Porsche brand. But most of the people buying new 911s today could care less weather it's built on an exclusive platform or not. You could bolt the 997 body on an A platform, and sales wouldn't suffer much. The masses just want to say they have a 911...They don't realize that they want to say that because of the history the car has, which has been built by decades of exclusive design and engineering.
It sounds like the current VW CEO doesn't get that concept.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like the Chevrolet Cavalier/ Cadillac Cimmeron role reversal...
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Sharing of resources and platforms is nothing new. The Toureg-Cayenne is the current example.
Past joint projects were the 914 and 924. The 924 was originally supposed to be sold as a VW but
when they backed out of the project, Porsche ran with it. The 924 led to the 944 and then the 968.
I'm not ready to push the panic button yet.
I think this is exactly what bothers me. All the cars you list there are orphans. Now I drove a 914 for a time and loved it, but was very aware it was a "VW-Porsche" that they wouldn't put the Porsche badge on. The 924 is the one car I did not see in the Porsche corral at Laguna Seca. It's one thing for Porsche to take a VW or Audi project and spruce it up. It's another thing entirely to take the crown jewel of the Porsche brand and let VW put a body and a badge on it.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Even more reason to hold on to our 993's.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Just think, instead of only having the current PassatA4, you will soon have the Jettarrera. And the Touaregayenne. Wait, we already have that. There's nothing like choices for the consumer!

Hey, this is progress.

Uh, I meant profit....
Without profit there is no progress.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Sharing of the platform doesn't mean re-badging. The Audi TT, A4, VW CC, and Passat are all built on the "A" platform. I wouldn't call them "re-badged."
A VW or Audi on the 911 platform would more likely be an Audi product, as VW tried the upscale thing with the Phaeton and failed. Maybe a Super TT or something.
I still think it is bad for the Porsche brand. But most of the people buying new 911s today could care less weather it's built on an exclusive platform or not. You could bolt the 997 body on an A platform, and sales wouldn't suffer much. The masses just want to say they have a 911...They don't realize that they want to say that because of the history the car has, which has been built by decades of exclusive design and engineering.
It sounds like the current VW CEO doesn't get that concept.
+1

I am only concerned with the concessions that will take place in order to share a common platform.

Maybe a one-way valve so the poop doesn't flow back up-stream?

Times, they are a changin'

"We fear change" - Garth Algar

EDIT: I re-read my post and I didn't intend to slam VW products at all. Just concerned over the mxing of parts and subsequent redeisgn of 911 playform to make stuff fit. Hopefully that made sense.

Last edited by MarkD; 10-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only fear I have is. as they become tighter with costings and new models, will there still be parts available for the real 911 cars?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
All this crap is good news for all the air cooled. Bad for Porsche's future, but good for our resale values.
I certainly agree. I personally believe our 993s are at the bottom of the price range right now. The prices should be steady and eventually up over the years. The few nice low mileage examples remaining in the coming years will probably show real serious value gains, especially when the economy recovers one day.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM
red89
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
All this crap is good news for all the air cooled. Bad for Porsche's future, but good for our resale values.
Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I certainly agree. I personally believe our 993s are at the bottom of the price range right now. The prices should be steady and eventually up over the years. The few nice low mileage examples remaining in the coming years will probably show real serious value gains, especially when the economy recovers one day.
Get yours while you can. Harder and harder to find nice ones.
I couldn't afford one when they were new, but now I can afford one that's like new.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank God I have a real one. It may not have varioram, it has a basket handle (which I happen to like) ... I love this car like no others I've had (and I've had some sweet Alfas, an Audi S4, a BMW E46 M3, some nice Saabs and a 2002 996 C4S).....

Speaking of Volkswagon...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/910289989

Jeremy Clarkson will have a field day with this one, I can hear him now

"VW has designed and will build in the US a mid-sized saloon just for the US market. Lexus styling,additional cupholders and US build quality, just what the fat Americans need,another crappy car"

Quick Reply: End of the World as We Know It Announced