End of the World as We Know It Announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts
Default End of the World as We Know It Announced

From my PCA newsletter:

Porsche may share its Panamera and 911 platforms with other VW Group brands in the near future, newly appointed Porsche CEO Michael Macht said. In a recent report by Autocar, Macht said Porsche will need to fill a support role for VW.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I have my vintage 911 now
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It will be a 911 in reverse, so front wheel drive with a W6 engine.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts

I feel this will indeed delude the marque if the 911 platform is allowed to be melded into VW in some recognizable way.

While I can not speak about the financial situation of Porsche and how best to undo damage from previous leadership, melding Porsche and VW will surely diminish what is meant by a "Porsche".

While I am sure that future offerings from Porsche and VW will be wonderful feats of engineering, the stigma of a Porsche and the 911 are now simply pages in history and will likely never be the same.

Time will be the judge, but I think the era of Wiedeking will be the demarkation point for Porsche as a company and a brand from passion to ruin.

I can only imagine how Porsche employees must feel.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Read that today too and got a sinking feeling as the words sank in. I think re-badging a 911 in ANY kind of VW variant is a huge mistake on Porsche's part. Didn't mind so much with the Cayenne/Toureg but the 911 is the core of what represents Porsche and to dilute that is a sacrilege. Please, Joe, say it ain't so.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I feel this will indeed delude the marque if the 911 platform is allowed to be melded into VW in some recognizable way.

While I can not speak about the financial situation of Porsche and how best to undo damage from previous leadership, melding Porsche and VW will surely diminish what is meant by a "Porsche".

While I am sure that future offerings from Porsche and VW will be wonderful feats of engineering, the stigma of a Porsche and the 911 are now simply pages in history and will likely never be the same.

Time will be the judge, but I think the era of Wiedeking will be the demarkation point for Porsche as a company and a brand from passion to ruin.

I can only imagine how Porsche employees must feel.
+1
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Safemoney
Racer

All the more reason to hang on to the 98 C2S......FOREVER!!!!!!!

Can you say....MORE RARE.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Sharing of resources and platforms is nothing new. The Toureg-Cayenne is the current example.
Past joint projects were the 914 and 924. The 924 was originally supposed to be sold as a VW but
when they backed out of the project, Porsche ran with it. The 924 led to the 944 and then the 968.
I'm not ready to push the panic button yet.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Just think, instead of only having the current PassatA4, you will soon have the Jettarrera. And the Touaregayenne. Wait, we already have that. There's nothing like choices for the consumer!

Hey, this is progress.

Uh, I meant profit....
Old 10-28-2009, 12:01 AM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Sharing of resources and platforms is nothing new. The Toureg-Cayenne is the current example.
Past joint projects were the 914 and 924. The 924 was originally supposed to be sold as a VW but
when they backed out of the project, Porsche ran with it. The 924 led to the 944 and then the 968.
I'm not ready to push the panic button yet.
In each of those cases, it was associated with a non-halo car. The snobs that wanted name recognition would never touch the 914/924 or its derivatives. Those same people who would not touch a VW-Porsche will balk at a Porsche that has a platform sister badged as a VW. I dislike the snobbery, but, that is how folks are. Because of this, Porsche will not be able to continue producing cars with industry leading profit. Lower profit means lower budgets. Lower budgets means lower design/engineering and probably materials quality.

Now, lets all just light our hair on fire and run in circles. Me, I love the R32. Maybe the rebadged C4S will be the next RXX. Also, look for the A8 or the GT2 to be cancelled.

Bob
Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 AM
95cab
Instructor

Take a look at the back seat of the VW CC and that of the Panamera...
Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Let's just wait and see what happens guys. Don't forget that the CEO of VW is a Porsche descendant. Posted by Ted (FlatSix911) here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...excited-2.html

Porsche Cayenne, Panamera To Be Axed in VW Takeover
http://www.insideline.com/porsche/ca...-takeover.html

The Porsche Cayenne SUV and four-door Panamera could be on the chopping block as VW and Porsche wrangle over product portfolios.

MONICA, California — Get a good look at the Porsche Cayenne SUV. In the wake of the bizarre German corporate soap opera whose end will soon see the absorption of Porsche AG into the mighty Volkswagen Group, the controversial Cayenne — and even more astoundingly, the just-released Panamera four-door sport sedan — has no future after VW takes over.

Such is the report from Britain's Car magazine, which says a "massive U-turn in Porsche's product plan" resulting from the bitter VW boardroom triumph means Porsche will be forced to discontinue the Cayenne and Panamera after their product cycles are complete around seven years from now.

"VW Group has plenty of SUVs and saloons [sedans] — it doesn't need Porsche to build them," says the story, which should be music to the ears of Porsche faithful and critics who insist the tiny sports-carmaker did potentially irreparable harm to its brand by pasting the Porsche badge on heavyweight off-roaders and sedans.

But all isn't totally jolly for those hoping for complete restoration of Porsche's independence and uniqueness. Under the seemingly more brand-protecting plan of VW Chairman Ferdinand Piëch, Porsche will get back to making only sports cars — but probably will be sharing at least one platform with a future VW.

Piëch fought back viciously against the improbable but almost-executed plan of now-ousted Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking for tiny Porsche to grab control of VW. Now that he's won and Wiedeking — the architect of Porsche's off-message forays into massive SUVs and sedans — has been forced out, VW and its board, led by Piëch, will be calling the shots. And Piëch, an intensely product-focused engineer, seems to be intent on unraveling Wiedeking's initiatives to expand Porsche beyond two-door sports cars.

But that doesn't mean Porsche won't be expanding at all. Car reports that the brand might use a version of VW's in-development Modular Sportscar Structure (MSS) for a future mid engine, entry-level model below the current BoxsterCayman that would be the spiritual successor to the first Porsche, the 356. Volkswagen's vision of a lightweight and comparatively affordable mid engine roadster already has been previewed with the Bluesport concept, although that car is based on the underpinnings of the current Polo.

Porsche also reportedly will launch a new high-dollar supercar to follow up the Carrera GT, although VW watchers already have speculated endlessly about how the company that also owns Lamborghini, Bugatti and Audi AG, all with vital products in the supercar segment, will position a future Porsche entry into that league.

The backfiring fiscal overreach that almost brought VW under Porsche control isn't without certain non-product consequences. Qatar Holding LLC had planned to buy a hefty portion of Porsche to help the sports-carmaker out of the debt hole it dug in its aborted attempt to control VW, but instead hooked into a complex investment arrangement that will see the Qatar Emirate become VW's third-largest shareholder with about 17 percent of the company. The Qatar investment also will hold about 10 percent of Porsche Automobil Holding SE, Porsche's holding company.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Let's just wait and see what happens guys. Don't forget that the CEO of VW is a Porsche descendant. Posted by Ted (FlatSix911) here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...excited-2.html
Agreed ... a silver lining may be found here with the new management strategy ... kill off the sport truck & luxo cruiser models and introduce a new lightweight giant killer ...

But that doesn't mean Porsche won't be expanding at all. Car reports that the brand might use a version of VW's in-development Modular Sportscar Structure (MSS)
for a future mid engine, entry-level model below the current Boxster/Cayman that would be the spiritual successor to the first Porsche, the 356.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 AM
tctung
Instructor

My wife has owned VW Golf III, IV and V and I tested all of them. They've got less and less German anvil kind of feel but become more and more like a Japanese tin can. It is like Porsche 964 and 993 to 996 and 997.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All this crap is good news for all the air cooled. Bad for Porsche's future, but good for our resale values.

Quick Reply: End of the World as We Know It Announced