Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Watch out for vans parked on top of overpasses..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Watch out for vans parked on top of overpasses..

Say this to yourself a few times as a mantra..

This should be a no-brainer.. But..

I must have forgotten.. it was a white van, unmarked, large tinted windows from which I was tagged by a laser and radioed ahead to a state trooper. My V1 announced a laser and it was all over- ruined my day.. I dunno why I was not thinking about this.. 81 in a 65, but still, this was a speed-trap any half conscious person should have seen set up miles ahead.. I was looking for cops in other areas, not on the overpasses..

C/
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's very simple....regardless of what technology/equipment you have....if you speed, you will eventually get caught. I speed all the time on the Interstate, and haven't been caught lately...but I know it's coming.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

The missus always gets pissed when I rail the brakes at cars parked on the side of the highway. The pigs are sneaky these days.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman

Say this to yourself a few times as a mantra..

This should be a no-brainer.. But..

I must have forgotten.. it was a white van, unmarked, large tinted windows from which I was tagged by a laser and radioed ahead to a state trooper. My V1 announced a laser and it was all over- ruined my day.. I dunno why I was not thinking about this.. 81 in a 65, but still, this was a speed-trap any half conscious person should have seen set up miles ahead.. I was looking for cops in other areas, not on the overpasses..

C/
Bummer. That ploy has been used in Europe for twenty years. They started doing it here in Arizona in unmarked cars firing either x or xa band out an open side window.
BASTARDS!
Now, due to this state being sooooo broke, they lowered the felony speeding down to to 76 from 81. My ex got pinched over the weekend while on a weekend drive in her SL55. She was clocked at 92, but her wrote her up for 75. She must have shown him some leg or something..........
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

That sucks. On my way to a lunch meeting today, I saw a car pulled over by a cop in a completely stock and unmarked Ford Fusion. No bull bars, no lights on the dash...not even the black steel wheels that give away ghost cars. This car had alloy wheels and the stock headlights and tail lights were rewired to flash. It looked just like every other rental car. Sneaky indeed.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Get thee to a laser jammery.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

When your gov't wastes your money on wars and bailouts, they'll look to extort it from the average citizen. Traffic enforcement is not longer about safety, but solely about revenue.

The term 'highway robbery' have never been more apt.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM
DryFly
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jammers?

Speaking of Jammers.... what is the latest & BEST to get? I have a Passport which works great but of course it can be too late depending on what radar/laser shoots you. This would be just for a hobby of course.... I always drive the posted limit
Old 10-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

http://matt.simerson.net/reference/radar-scam.shtml

I dont think Jammers work on any level..
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

FYI, in NC, beware unmarked NCHP in SUV's and Magnums, usually dark colors. I know it's boring but we try not to exceed +5 over the limit.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coleman
http://matt.simerson.net/reference/radar-scam.shtml

I dont think Jammers work on any level..
Radar-Yes

Laser-No

Laser jammers used in conjuction with radar dectectors is the best defense.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about them sneaky coppers... one day I was driving down I290 in a well known speed trap and was approaching a state trooper who had a white mustang pulled over on the side of the road. His lights were going. He was standing next to the drivers side window of the mustang talking to the driver of the mustang. Almost everyone just cruised by, business as usual, most people doing 5 over because it's a well known area for coppers to sit. He's busy already... Right, as I'm getting ready to pass where the two cars are stopped a black corvette goes flying past me and the copper. I'm doing about 63 in the 55 zone and he was doing at least 80. Well the white mustang flips on his hidden lights and pulls out like a bat outta hell passing me and going after the Vette. I had to laugh. they got him. Good decoy.

Nick
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM
cmoss

Here on the Monterey Penisula they just park a cop on a cycle on the overpass. Then they have about 6 other cops lined up on the nearest exit. Dispatched like Angels of Death they swoop down and issue their soul searing citations.

They really like to do this during the Monterey GP--bikers beware.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I sadly find myself driving the speed limit +9 mph most of the time now. I can't afford any more speeding tickets. My wife got 3 speed camera tix on the same day a month ago and I've had post-traumatic stress disorder over it ever since! She hardly ever gets any tickets.

She drove through a speed camera 11 mph over the 30 mile limit (41 in a 30) at 11:58am, then at 12:21pm she got another one on the same darn street going the other direction. Then 3 hours later when picking up our kid at school she got yet another one on the other side of town, doing 12 mph over in a 25 mph zone. Arghhhhhh. She must not have been paying attention. It was a wake up call for both of us.

Sorry to hear about your tickets, everyone. We all feel the mutual pain.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The town of Carol Stream Il. picks cars off with a plain clothed officer standing on the 30 foot wide grassy median of a divided highway on Rte 64 and radios to his buddies, usually 6 or so squad cars parked just out of site at the next traffic light cross street. They just pull out after you one after another until they are all busy. Then you have a 10 minute free pass until they all write their tickets and reset their trap.

Nick

Quick Reply: Watch out for vans parked on top of overpasses..