Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Watch out for vans parked on top of overpasses..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by air eater
They started doing it here in Arizona in unmarked cars firing either x or xa band out an open side window.
BASTARDS!
I wonder how they manged to get a radar gun in between the photo radar cameras.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they lowered the felony speeding
Speeding is a felony, jeez I hope not.

The CHP have been using unmarked Mustangs and Cameros for sometime now but the motorcycles are still the worst because they can hide all sorts of places, and we get them year 'round too.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx coleman... (need that reminder every once in a while)
now, i'm really wonderin' about a future road trip i've been planning to see fellow listers... sux bc/ it will put the dampers on the whole, live free & drive feeling.
few yrs ago i got nailed on the 10fwy on the way to a Malibu run. car on an overpass; popo sped down onramp w/ his lights off then hit his blues (saw him the whole time & was traveling the limit @ the time). tbh i felt lucky to have slowed down compared to what i was traveling a few passes earlier. still got cited for est. 69 mph. written up for clear cover on my plate too. officer actually said we can't use them b/c they cannot radar it.......... wuz that b.s.? is the plate a ref. point/target? i should have fought it but felt guilty b/c i was speeding earlier. lame i know.
yep, revenue.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

@ Rich

I think they use the plate as a target for laser, as it's über reflective.. If you cover it up, they have a decreased effectiveness of targeting your car.. I read that White/ Silver cars are 100% more reflective to laser than black cars.. but I still got the ticket..

C/
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

PM Bull993TT aka Derek Schwarz. He has a laser jammer on one of his cars and had a state trooper friend test its effectiveness. According to Derek, the jammer worked beautifully and has also gotten him out of a few tickets, IIRC.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by air eater
...She was clocked at 92, but her wrote her up for 75. She must have shown him some leg or something..........
Maybe there's a shortage of leg?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

@ mark.. ..Great.. More stuff I gotta buy..
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Speeding is a felony, jeez I hope not.

The CHP have been using unmarked Mustangs and Cameros for sometime now but the motorcycles are still the worst because they can hide all sorts of places, and we get them year 'round too.
Yes it is a felony here in Arizona. The arresting officer has the option of either writing you the big ticket and letting you go on your way or put you in cuffs putting your car behind a tow truck and make you psot bond.
The court hearing outcome depends on your past recor and the preciding judge's mood. They can take your license away for a period of time, lock you up and put a felony conviction in your jacket.
It has created a new industry for lawyers here.
Bunch of b.s., but that's the way it is.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:14 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
When your gov't wastes your money on wars and bailouts, they'll look to extort it from the average citizen. Traffic enforcement is not longer about safety, but solely about revenue.

The term 'highway robbery' have never been more apt.
Those guys are sitting around making $90K + (at least when you figure in the benefits/retirement plan). One would think they might have something better to do with their time like actually arresting real live criminals.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matt777
Maybe there's a shortage of leg?
just the opposite,
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

I am sick of the revenue quest at all levels of CA government.

Got shafted on building permit fees and needless extra work last year. Watch for sales tax collections on out of state purchases.

Been driving 47 years without a radar detector, but got a Passport 9500ci a few months ago. It has already paid for itself, including a few laser "deflections". This is war, and I have never been a voluntary loser.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bunch of b.s., but that's the way it is.
Boy that's an understatement! Remind me not to drive in Arizona anymore. You have my sympathies.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And then there's Oakland. Few months ago on a Sunday morning about 830 or 9, we're on our way a couple miles from the house. Notice a figure on the overpass, then ID him pointing something toward traffic. (Remember, this is Oakland.) As we get close I do see it's CHP gunning radar or laser. Wasn't going fast enough to concern myself.

End of story? Ha.

CHP WAS GUNNING FROM THE OFFICER WILLIAMS MEMORIAL OVERPASS. So named for an OPD officer who was gunned down by a sniper there several years ago as he was searching for the shooter's accomplice in the area.

Again, only in Oakland.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Boy that's an understatement! Remind me not to drive in Arizona anymore. You have my sympathies.
Thanks for your sympathies, Within 20 miles of my house , I have 500 miles of smooth reservation roads with no police, photo radar lurking around that are .
When I have to use our interstate system, I keep the speeds below the ticket point.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
I dont think Jammers work on any level..
I don't think those who worked for the military designing electronic jamming systems would agree with that statement.

Forget jamming, how about destroying it as you drive by?

Quick Reply: Watch out for vans parked on top of overpasses..