Sponsored by:

Winter Project 09

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nollie
Things on the todo list are the power steering belt, spark plugs, light weight flywheel, major service kit from FD Motorsports, and transmission R&R by Rennsport. I may go with a 2WD conversion... I've almost sold myself on the idea.

I thought thy connections would make sense without the labels, but it's nice to have a backup for my memory. The engine may not be going back in for a few months :P What you don't see is every section that I took off bolts / nuts / ect has it's own baggy with a label on it heh.
Nice!

What are you doing to the transmission?

I think a sports car should be 2wd. I'll probably get flamed for that statement

I did the same thing with the nuts and bolts.

Bob-
Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Nice!
What are you doing to the transmission?
Bob-
This is actually still up for discussion of all the different parts that may go in. Perhaps billet shift forks and steel synchros. Mostly I'd like to get it opened up and refreshed, 2nd gear doesn't seem as happy as it used to with all of the autocross miles on it. My current thought is refreshing / fixing anything that is wrong or about to go wrong then save up for the g50/32...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great work Dan, thanks for posting the pics. Have you thought of doing the SSK/GoldenRod upgrade from FDM While-You're-In-There?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Great work Dan, thanks for posting the pics. Have you thought of doing the SSK/GoldenRod upgrade from FDM While-You're-In-There?
Thanks I already have the golden rod and love it. If I do the 2WD convert then I'll do the SSK as well. I've just never fancied "dimpling" my tunnel cover that I would have to do for an AWD car.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks I already have the golden rod and love it. If I do the 2WD convert then I'll do the SSK as well. I've just never fancied "dimpling" my tunnel cover that I would have to do for an AWD car.
Nolli,
Talk to cgfen. He found a way to do the exchange w/o welding. Involved a little enlarging of the tunnel opening, but he wanted to be able to go backwards to stock AWD, so he found a way.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-thousand.html
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your car strickly a track car? Assuming it's lowered, just wondering if your GR hit speed bumps while traveling in school zones/apts etc...?

Thanks,

KrS
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Is your car strickly a track car? Assuming it's lowered, just wondering if your GR hit speed bumps while traveling in school zones/apts etc...?
Thanks,
KrS
My car is 80/20 track/street split lowered to a bit below RS. The golden rod won't hit speed bumps no matter how low you go. The golden rod connects the shifter to the transmission and runs horizontal to the ground. The piece that would possibly hit the ground is the short shift kit (for AWD). because the AWD uses the torque tube as a shift box the SSK isn't quite right and extends down below where the tunnel cover is. Some folks have installed the kit and "dimpled" the cover to make room. I haven't done this mod because I didn't want to bang up my tunnel cover.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

I'm droping the engine / transmission out of my C4S and have gotten to disconnecting the torque tube from inside the cabin. The bolts seem to be 16mm (not 13 as in the diy on pcarworkshop)... question: how the heck do I get them loose? There isn't much room and they're tightened down like crazy, I just don't seem to have the leverage in there to do it. Any words of advice?

Image from the DIY from PCarWorkshop:
I took them out from underneath the car using a variety of extensions (long, very long, at least 24" to get the right angle), a swivel and the right socket.
i think they are torqued to at least 90 ft lb.

PM me if you need help

Craig
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this talk is making me dropping mine also! This is want I used.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23948407@N04/4028612163/
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Porsche

Thanks,

KrS
What Dan said, the clearance issue is not the shift rod, it is the bottom end of the shift lever and forward rod end. Hard to describe, pics some day.

We are working on a "low clearance" short shift setup for AWD cars. We think it will still need added clearance at the tunnel cover but will be less. Will know more when we get a C4 in the shop

Originally Posted by tchubacha
All of this talk is making me dropping mine also! This is want I used.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23948407@N04/4028612163/
I like the color combo... black with that interior = hot
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
What Dan said, the clearance issue is not the shift rod, it is the bottom end of the shift lever and forward rod end. Hard to describe, pics some day.

We are working on a "low clearance" short shift setup for AWD cars. We think it will still need added clearance at the tunnel cover but will be less. Will know more when we get a C4 in the shop
t
let me know if you design one, it would have come in handy for me, i ended up having to space my TQ tube tunnel cover down to prevent rubbing, see annotated photo where the rubber boot would touch the cover.

other photo shows shifter length differences

i've got lottsa photos of this process, let me know what you need.

Craig
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
let me know if you design one, it would have come in handy for me, i ended up having to space my TQ tube tunnel cover down to prevent rubbing, see annotated photo where the rubber boot would touch the cover.

other photo shows shifter length differences

i've got lottsa photos of this process, let me know what you need.

Craig
Craig,
if you happen to know the clearance between the tunnel cover and the bottom of the OE cup/ball setup that would help.
We played with a prototype piece and we can get 1/2" back on the RS lever setup.
It drops about 1" compared to Non-RS....
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Nollie
Pro

I'm hoping I can call upon my fellow rennlister's knowledge again. I'm currrently attempting to separate the transmission from the engine. I can get about 1/8" gap all around but it won't go past that point. There is play where the transmission will wiggle a bit, but the dang thing won't move any farther. I've read nsully's DIY and the pcarworkshop stuff (I have a nice DIY manual printed ala boulder bob) and I'm not seeing what I'm missing...

So, is there anything I could have missed that is causing me to be unable to remove the transmission? Or do I just need to beat on it some more (and by the way... don't use those nice ridges and a block of wood to try and move the transmission some more... ).

I've removed the starter, the vent tube, and the 4 nuts to the long bolts. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping I can call upon my fellow rennlister's knowledge again. I'm currrently attempting to separate the transmission from the engine. I can get about 1/8" gap all around but it won't go past that point. There is play where the transmission will wiggle a bit, but the dang thing won't move any farther. I've read nsully's DIY and the pcarworkshop stuff (I have a nice DIY manual printed ala boulder bob) and I'm not seeing what I'm missing...

So, is there anything I could have missed that is causing me to be unable to remove the transmission? Or do I just need to beat on it some more (and by the way... don't use those nice ridges and a block of wood to try and move the transmission some more...).

I've removed the starter, the vent tube, and the 4 nuts to the long bolts. Any help would be appreciated
Dan, If all the nuts are off (4) and the clutch fork shaft it should just pull apart

You might need to persuade things a bit

Bob-
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this last weekend with the engine in the car. I assume you have the fork bearing/rod out. I used a pry bar to move the tranny back as it didn't just slide off easily.

Quick Reply: Winter Project 09