Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Project 09

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks matt and bob. Guess I should have read that a bit closer. I had read that section of nsully's diy but I guess I didn't read that section. Had the same problem in school. Well with that out of the way getting the transmission separated was much easier

Last edited by Nollie; 10-22-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Nollie
Pro

Default parts day!

Sunset and FD Motorsports had their stuff show up on the same day, it was an early Christmas for me when I got home Both companies have been a pleasure to work with so far (if you hadn't already known). The transmission is down at Rennsport (it was great talking to you again Steve) getting some R&R so it's time for me to get to work up here.

I think I'm way past the point of no return here... it's starting to look a little daunting but I'll just eat the elephant bite by bite until it's all done.

A few status photos:

Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Looking good Dan!

Bob-
Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
My car is 80/20 track/street split lowered to a bit below RS. .....
If youa are that into it, this would be a perfect opportunity to chnage to solid rear side mounts. You will love the handling.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If youa are that into it, this would be a perfect opportunity to chnage to solid rear side mounts. You will love the handling.
Where would I get something like that, is it an RS part? I'm rapidly approaching my upper project funding limit, but I'm always keen to look at something to help the car handle. If I prep the car to BSP, I'm pretty sure solid metal mounts are strictly prohibited. I'd have to look at SSM to see what they say.

Last edited by Nollie; 10-28-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: class changes in 2010
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Where would I get something like that, is it an RS part? I'm rapidly approaching my upper project funding limit, but I'm always keen to look at something to help the car handle. If I prep the car to BSP, I'm pretty sure solid metal mounts are strictly prohibited. I'd have to look at SSM to see what they say.
Carnewal, Cargraphic and Smart racing all have kits, Smartracing is cheapest but you have to buy(or modify) bolts & washers, The others have complete kits which include the washers and bolts. You don't nee na d probably don't want the tilt version.

The benfits are similar to those derived from the wheel carriers wrt geometry and stiffer bushes used on RS models
Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Nollie
Pro

Default Check the lifters?

Should I check the lifters while I have the engine out?

All the talk on the forum about collapsed lifters has made me paranoid. I thought I heard a slight tapping sound coming from the engine compartment when I had everything running. My mechanic didn't hear the sound when I asked him about it, and my oil consumption doesn't seem to be a problem. The car only has 20k miles on it but I've been autocrossing it ever since I bought it...

So should I add another while-i'm-in-there cost on the heap and buy the valve cover gaskets and give the lifters a look-see? It'd at least be educational
Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Dan, I don't think you can visually evaluate the lifters in place. To get them out you pretty much need to trash them. I had one clacking so I replaced them all. I have read that they can be replaced with then engine in, but you will never have better access than with the engine out. As I recall all 12 cost about $350. Soak em goodin fresh oil and do them one at a time so as not to mix parts.

GL

Bob-
Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Nollie
Pro

I found this stuff underneath my car, anyone know what it's for? Seems to be sort of like an extra engine tray. I might just leave it off.

Thanks Mark (FD Motorsports) for helping me figure out how to get everything off! I see why the new box needs cut now
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Holy smokes! Now that's a winter tear down!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Maybe someday I will also try the two wheel deal. I have enough stuff going on with the motor out for now. Dan, did you check your LSD first before you took your motor out? I am on the fence out just getting it replaced while everything is out but I have been getting conflicting reports on the forum and my indie shop as to when these goes bad. And I did not check this before hand because I did not read up on it then. But hopefully I am getting educated now. The big holding back factor is the whole 2K thing.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found this stuff underneath my car, anyone know what it's for? Seems to be sort of like an extra engine tray. I might just leave it off.

Thanks Mark (FD Motorsports) for helping me figure out how to get everything off! I see why the new box needs cut now
My wife saw that same scene at the shop one day and said "All of that stuff looks kind of important... you sure you can leave it out?"

ha!

Nice work Dan.

Edit: by the way, the 2WD trans mount is back from the powder coater and ready to go.
The rest of your stuff (SSK & Xenit) will be on it's way very soon...
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by tchubacha
Nice! Maybe someday I will also try the two wheel deal. I have enough stuff going on with the motor out for now. Dan, did you check your LSD first before you took your motor out? I am on the fence out just getting it replaced while everything is out but I have been getting conflicting reports on the forum and my indie shop as to when these goes bad. And I did not check this before hand because I did not read up on it then. But hopefully I am getting educated now. The big holding back factor is the whole 2K thing.
I didn't check the LSD (not sure how actually), but the whole transmission is down at Rennsport getting refreshed. I've heard varying reports on the life of the stock LSD but the one thing that remains constant is the improvement the guard or os giken or whatever is over the stocker.

Originally Posted by MarkD
My wife saw that same scene at the shop one day and said "All of that stuff looks kind of important... you sure you can leave it out?"

ha!

Nice work Dan.

Edit: by the way, the 2WD trans mount is back from the powder coater and ready to go.
The rest of your stuff (SSK & Xenit) will be on it's way very soon...
Sweet, thanks Mark. I got the comment "why are you working under the car again, I thought the engine was already out..." she didn't see the parts in the middle of the floor, they're stacked neatly in the corner with the rest of the car.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Just saw this thread. Very cool Nollie! I've dropped an engine on a 964 in the past and did the same amount of picture taking and labeling. It was very helpful when putting things back together!

I'm also toying with the idea of getting rid of that T-shaped chunk of steel. At the same time I'm really loving the traction and grip, so I'm still on the fence.

Best of luck with everything

Quick Reply: Winter Project 09