Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In need of some advice regarding PPI...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some advice regarding PPI...

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to the forum, and to Porsche in general, as I just acquired my first (993) a couple of weeks ago. So far I love the car, and I'm very happy to finally be an owner.

Before purchasing the car from an out of state Porsche dealership, I had aPPI conducted by a shop that I had discovered through Rennlist. I would have preferred to sit in on the PPI, but being several states away, it was not possible. From my conversation with the mechanic who would be conducting the PPI, I felt that the car would receive a very thorough going over. The PPI showed a very clean and strong car with only a few very minor cosmetic issues. I flew and picked up the car, looked it over as carefully as I could given my limited knowledge, and then drove it home. A few days later I happened to notice a tiny bubble under the paint on the bottom edge of the windshield seal. I knew it was rust, but didn't know how deep it was. After having a body shop look at it today, it seems it goes deeper than it appears. Long story short, it will cost me $700+ to repair.

Now I hate to nitpick, but how is it that a supposedly thorough PPI costing $480 misses something that I end up finding on my own when I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. I thought that rust would be one of the major things a PPI would look for, and in one of the most common areas on a 911 for rust no less. Sorry if I've been longwinded, but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with something like this and how they handled it.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer. I am looking forward to contributing to the forum.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most PPIs focus on the mecahnical stuff (engine, brakes, suspension etc...) and not so much on isolated corrosion issues. I don't know how extensive the corrosion is and hopefully it is limited to the one location.

I to would be a little POd at the seller and the folks for doing the PPI for not disclosing /identifying this issue. Maybe the PO will work something out with you. Most P-car folks are pretty straight shooters.

Sorry for the rocky start with your new car. They are great cars and great fun.

Did you purcahse this car on the east coast?

Good luck with your new baby and please post some pics for the tribe

Bob-
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

First, I would call the PPI shop and ask them why they didn't check that. See what they say. If nothing else, they may add it to their PPI checklist for the next car.

The exact same thing happened to a buddy of mine. We even put that on the PPI checklist and they didn't report it.

He fixed it and moved on. I suggest that you do the same. Live and learn. Only way to be certain is to inspect the car yourself.

Don't let it taint your new car experience! Enjoy it!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
gyrfalcon
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the advice. I'm dropping the car off to be fixed on Monday. Hopefully the rust isn't deeper than it looks; but even so, it isn't going to ruin the experience for me at all. I smile every time I see the car, and even more so when I'm driving it. I just feel privileged and thankful to finally own a 993, and all in all it is in excellent shape. I'll post some pics soon.

Happy to be part of the tribe
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the advice. I'm dropping the car off to be fixed on Monday. Hopefully the rust isn't deeper than it looks; but even so, it isn't going to ruin the experience for me at all. I smile every time I see the car, and even more so when I'm driving it. I just feel privileged and thankful to finally own a 993, and all in all it is in excellent shape. I'll post some pics soon.

Happy to be part of the tribe
Great attitude. Sorry this happened but it will get fixed and be behind you soon. Glad you're not letting it spoil the fun of the 993.

Congratulations and enjoy your new car (sounds like you are already are!)

chuck
Old 10-10-2009, 06:25 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone do a Body Shop PPI?

tino
Old 10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When buying a +10 year-old car, you gotta set aside some money for these issue that pop up so you don't have a poor buying experience and don't get caught car rich and cash poor.

+1 on the good attitude.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:44 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

My PPI included a complete and thorough description of the condition of the body and paint right down to the presence of swirl marks in the paint and noted that the front bumper cover and front spoiler would need a respray in order to match the condition of the rest of the paint. It also included the number and length of the wheel rash scrapes on the rear wheels and a statement certifying that the rash didn't constitute a threat to the structural integrity of the wheels.

Quick Reply: In need of some advice regarding PPI...