Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEW PROJECT :) : 993 Winter Car ! (aka a REALLY slippery (icy) slope!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW PROJECT :) : 993 Winter Car ! (aka a REALLY slippery (icy) slope!)

....I have currently discussed this only with a handful of people... and
I am asking for input / help with ideas for this project...

BASE CAR :
My 1995 Carrera 4
Miles : 144,500 miles
License Plate : "911 SKII"

REASON :
I bought this car with a 130,000 miles (almost) 4 years ago specifically for winter use because I wanted a 993 that would be my daily driver / workhorse. It has some rust issues - the worst being the rear bumper hangers... but otherwise, it is an extremely solid engine and is a pure pleasure to drive.

I considered selling it - but realized there is no way I would get what it was worth.

CURRENT MODIFICATIONS :
Porsche Litronic Headlights (!)
Mille Miglia Exhaust (amazing)

PLANNED MODIFICATIONS ("Standard" Slippery Slope)
HD Billsteins / M030 ROW springs
Performance Chip (Steve Weiner)
Control Arm Bushings (Chris Walrod)
Porsche Motorsound Box
Porsche Roof spoiler / 3rd brake light
Porsche new rear lenses / tailights
Porsche C2s split grill
Techart Strutbrace
Techart Sideskirts
Techart Front Bumper (w/ integrated fogs and air intake)
Techart Formula wheels (non winter use)
Techart rear deck spoiler
Techart interior pieces / trim
K&N Airfliter
Refurbished Porsche Calipers
New Porsche seals / rubber tubing etc

SPECIAL 993 WINTER-MOBILE MODIFICATIONS (The fun part):
1. Paint Scheme : Special Metallic White paint with titanium grey accents (Wheels, grill, fan shroud). Calipers and fan are getting painted orange (!)
2. Narrow Wheels : with snow tires for winter use (Should I stick with Cups ?)
3. Adapted "rocket launcher-like" ski rack : this is probably the most important part of the identity of the car. It will theoretically clip onto the rain gutter and a custom removable bracket an the side of the engine bay.
In past porsches, this was anchored to the rear engine lid... but does not work with a active rear spoiler
4. Porsche Rear Windshield Wiper : for clearing that snow drift, melted ice
5. Porsche OEM Rear foglights : for inclement driving conditions
6. Accessory Yellow Foglights
7. Porsche Rallye lights ? (hood mounted) not sure I will do this... because there would have to be a solution whereby the part could be removed without any visible remnants (such has a bracket or hole through the hood)
8. Water proof / resistant interior : (similar to Honda Element). The idea is obvious... but also, I would like to have my dog with me in the car.
....Again,.. I am going for practicality in this car lol !
9. Fabric interior ? similar to above, but may be more aesthetically appealing (and cheaper)
10. Heated Seats : These will likely be retrofit from
11. Upgraded Battery : - would like suggestions on this one
12. Rear Parcel shelf : remove the rear seats, and create a larger rear shelf, also a place my dog can "chill out"
(I may have to axe this whole dog in the porsche idea... b/c I get claustrophobic thinking about him hanging out in the back!)
13. Porsche (retro / circa 911T) rear windows that open / vent - for the dog...
14. Park Distance Control : B/c visibility may be obstructed (snow + skis + dog ). I have keyed in on the electromagnetic one - that requires no holes on the bumper
15. Reflectors in doors : visible when opened
16. Euro Sidemarker Lights
17. Heated Mirrors - is this possible?

THAT'S IT FOR NOW.... I essentially have 80% of everything I need

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS....
- What do you think?
- What do you think is missing ?
- What you think is a mistake ?

- If you have ideas how to make / fabricate / source some parts :
1. Ski Rack mounting bracket (to attach to mounting points on car)
2. Ski Rack ski adapter piece (to hold the skis)
3. Removable Rally Lights / Accessory lights
4. Water proof / resistant interior material
5. Upgrade Battery
6. Heated Seat retrofit kit suggestions
7. Rear vented 911 windows
8. Heated Mirrors

- if you have any of the following for sell / donation / swap / trade:
1. rear windshield with wiper assembly
2. Bliistein HD shocks
3. M030 sway bars

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

....pics to follow

....looking forward to reading your (helpful / entertaining) comments !

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

Great project. One addition....a cup holder for that giant cup of coffee on the way up the mountain for first tracks.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its going to be a winter beater, I wouldnt do anything but drive the way it is today.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

WOW sounds nice!
I wouldn't go for the Porsche Rear Windshield Wiper: I've got one and I never use it. Whilst driven the water clears from itself. Just my 2 cents.

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

hmm...I say put some snow tires on it and call it a day.

I can't see a reason why you would want to do all that other stuff, because not only will it be a lot of work, it will eliminate just about any resale value, and be expensive.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
if its going to be a winter beater, I wouldnt do anything but drive the way it is today.
X100

This is a car that's being sacrificed to the salt and corrosion gods. Why spend huge amounts of time and money on it?
Old 10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I would not lower it. I would still change the shocks as your stock ones are shot, but I would leave the ride height alone as well as the general stifness on the car. A stiffer car is not want you want in the snow. I have snow tires on stock cups and they work fine, but you might want to take advantage of the fact that 993's came with 16 inch stock rims which will give you flexibility in the tire selection. Heated seats will also be very very nice, when I drove mine in the winter they were fantastic.
similar thoughts have crossed my mind many times, if I had my way I too would be driving a C4 in the winter.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
I would not lower it.
For a true "winter car" this makes the most sense. New shocks for sure but this may be the one time where the standars US springs are a bonus.

Cool project, really using a 993C4 as a snowmobile is something many of us dream of.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
....I have currently discussed this only with a handful of people... pics to follow

....looking forward to reading your (helpful / entertaining) comments !

Currently looking for : HD shocks / M030 sway bars / hard shell sportback seats (recaro A8's or Porsche) / rear windshield and wiper assembly / 993 speedster (the red one) / and $$$
^^ Of the requested parts in your sig block, that red 993 might be more practical to find you in the snow.
(You have at least one exotic P-car I'm seriously jonesin' for.)

I think this is an incredibly cool idea. Cooler than Andreas' air-conditioned garage (pun intended ).
Thanks for the advance insight. (BTW, you have new e-mail on different subject.)

Expanding on previous response:
I've always luved the concept of water-proof interiors. Personally, I dig the entire impractical nature of the project, because you know how to own crazy cool cars AND enjoy them.
Knowing you, I'm sure you weighed most of the practical issues already. Obviously a lot of thought (& typing!) went into the above post; plenty of time to consider the potentially impractical nature. Obviously not the biggest concern. It's more about doing it right & loving your automotive art ...& your automotive arf -- your pooch is undoubtedly gonna continue to be your best friend.

Other than that, I think everybody knows by now I'm just good at being a bad influence on 993 enthusiasts ... & posting photographs. So, having accomplished one of those goals already, it's on to pix...

Butzi & his automotive arf, with snow on the mountains & the top down, both loving his 993 Speedster. [Photo taken ~1995 by a friend of mine. Thanks to his generosity, you're now the first to ever see it on the 'net]:

Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Thanks for the comments.... I agree with everyone of them... especially the "keep everything the way it is" type of comments.

The problem is... the car needs a full respray, I have body parts I wanted to change... it is getting a full overhaul on the chassis / rust proofing / protective underbody paint... powder coating new engine bay heat shields.

The only "difference" is, I am doing some "external" mods in addition.

I agree with the ride height suggestions (ie. keep it the same - b/c it is necessary for clearance) - but as this is an "everyday" car - I will also have some nice sport wheels going on it during the fun season, so I can press the loud button every now and then.

Essentially, it will be a winter car in the winter... and a sporty looking 993 C4 during the dry months.

For now, I am not really focusing on the interior (that sounds like a bag of hurt).

The main external mod, is the "ski rack" ... no ski rack = no snow porsche

SOME PICS (to give a better idea of what is going on in my brain):

The car will look like a Techart CT3... but without the rear wing.... and "yes"... it will have the "cheese grater" front bumper !
Attached Images    

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-22-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: uploaded some additional (but poorly mocked up) pictures
Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default just add ski rack to this...

Translation: "Perfect for Alf year-round!"

From "Laugh or cry: puke green & other oddities PHOTO THREAD"
Old 10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

(A) SKI RACK / LAUNCHER :
(but it will be more off-center, along the outer edge of the engine lid. I have to also decide whether to put it on the left side or the right side...)

LEFT side = in the blind area for the driver, so no obstructed view
RIGHT side = theoretical "balance" of car

thoughts?
Attached Images  

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

(B) RALLYE LIGHTS:
(this will probably not happen... b/c I can't figure out a reversible solution that will maintain the trunk's air tight integrity)
Attached Images  

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Paint Scheme : Special Metallic White paint with titanium grey accents (Wheels, grill, fan shroud). Calipers and fan are getting painted orange (!)
More creative inspiration...

From "Laugh or cry: puke green & other oddities PHOTO THREAD"
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

(C) REAR POP-OUT 1/4 WINDOW :
(powder coated black obviously)
Attached Images  

Last edited by alpinadvl; 10-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: NEW PROJECT :) : 993 Winter Car ! (aka a REALLY slippery (icy) slope!)