Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Show me your single din head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 AM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike J, nice! Get the wiring harness from crutchfield.....you just have to switch the red & yellow wires.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks Shu!

I think that the PO hacked into the wiring harness, so I do not think this will help, given the speaker wires run to an old AMP in the trunk from the unit that is now in the dash, so I suspect wires have been cut.

I will pull the old head end tomorrow and see what's up, but my expectations are pretty low on having an original harness. Besides that, my car had the high fi option, to the wires to the speakers would have run to the amp under the seat originally, correct? I have not checked anything yet....I will post the results.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 PM
snolan
4th Gear

I just ordered a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT CD Receiver to replace the CDR-210 head unit that came in my wife's 1998 993 Targa. I also snagged some JL Audio TR400-CXi 4" 2-Way Speakers to replace the ones on the rear deck (which are oval behind a 4x6" grill - odd) - and I am hoping they will work but am somewhat skeptical.

I'll take pictures as I do the work and report on how it sounds. We've wanted Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod connectivity for ages and occasionally using MP3 CDs rather than audio CDs will be handy for longer trips.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Old school ... no iPod ... no BT ...

Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

I recently put in the new Pioneer MVH-P8200BT:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/MVH-P8200BT
  • No CD
  • Radio, USB, iPod, iPhone, or SD-Card Only
  • Bluetooth
I'm pretty happy with it. I put in a 16-GB SD card with a ton of music ripped at high quality, so that's what I typically use.

My only complaints:
  • Navigation with its single "joystick" button a bit of a PITA
  • Face is glossy. Seriously tempted to paint it satin black
  • iPod/iPhone interface defaults to full control instead of iPod-control - the iPod is way easier to navigate through music

I replaced my (non hifi) door speakers with Infinity Kappa 62.9i 2-ways and have it running to the Kappas (mostly, a bit to the factory deck speakers in the back). No amp. Subwoofer next on list.

Pics of head unit and Kappa speakers below

Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay here is an unusual request. Anyone know of a 2 channel Amp with Bluetooth built in?

I want to go headless and have my iPhone stream music via bluetooth to the amp.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 AM
jainbaby
Racer

Guys,

Thanks for the compliments on my Company's unit. We love it and actually one of our other units (Single DIN with built in nav) just became OE on TESLA Motors. We are real proud of that...

Also did you guys know that the screen (wallpaper) on the unit is customizable and you can upload your own pictures?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
bobesser
Pro

JVC single din nav is discontinued. what gives!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Great old thread. The original poster had asked about a unit that has satellite as well. Me too. I have this: (really old school)

But was thinking about upgrading to a car stereo that has XM radio on it. I don't listen to CD's, MP3's, iPod, etc in my car (don't even own an iPod). I only listen to AM/FM and XM Satellite radio. Could you suggest a good, moderately priced unit that looks fairly OEM that offers that?

When I turn my Nakamichi the whole way up and the windows are open I can barely hear the music - it's not loud enough. Would one of these new car stereos with XM have amplification in it as already? I don't care about audiophile quality and I'm not interested in buying new speakers and a new amp (it's just a noisy 911!).

Thanks,
Steve R
Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve, I have the Alpine 9820XM CD unit with the integrated XM receiver.
It is compact and the sound quality is very close to CD
I believe the unit is discontinued, however you can find them on line & Ebay.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pk98Z6r...DA-9820XM.html

Still available:
http://www.procarsound.com/catalog/p...73&language=en

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Great old thread. The original poster had asked about a unit that has satellite as well. Me too. I have this: (really old school)

But was thinking about upgrading to a car stereo that has XM radio on it. I don't listen to CD's, MP3's, iPod, etc in my car (don't even own an iPod). I only listen to AM/FM and XM Satellite radio. Could you suggest a good, moderately priced unit that looks fairly OEM that offers that?

When I turn my Nakamichi the whole way up and the windows are open I can barely hear the music - it's not loud enough. Would one of these new car stereos with XM have amplification in it as already? I don't care about audiophile quality and I'm not interested in buying new speakers and a new amp (it's just a noisy 911!).

Thanks,
Steve R
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for the info on the Alpine XM radio. $299 is a fair price for this unit. I wonder what an installer would charge me to install it? Time to make some calls.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
snolan
4th Gear

Default CDR-210 replacement project, stuck again

Well crud. The Pioneer DEH-P6200BT replacement finally arrived in June after being on back-order for 6 weeks and it turned out I did not have the right Becker removal keys to pull the old CDR-210 out.

So I ordered those and they arrived on Monday. I finally had some time today to try swapping the head units and I ran into a surprise... the existing Becker was not directly driving the speakers and there was no speaker wire plug in the head unit at all, instead there was a smaller yellow 6 conductor plug with wires marked line out... I think this means I have an amp somewhere hidden in the car.

I took photos of the plugs and the sticker on the Becker labeling the ports on unit:
http://gallery.me.com/scottdavidnolan/100282

Now I have to rig a different harness so the new Pioneer can drive the same amp(s)...

The label may be very helpful to other Becker CDR-210 owners. I'll upload it to the gallery here when I figure out how.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Old school ... no iPod ... no BT ...

New school ... no cd ... no tape ...

Old 09-17-2019, 08:17 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 261 Posts

bump - any more headunit shots in the last 10 years?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 PM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
old skool. Burr Brown 1 bit DAC. Gold outputs. Bypass circuit. No IPOD etc. Sounds really nice....
I gotta ask about your *****. Can you tell me more about them.

Quick Reply: Show me your single din head unit