993 Forum 1995-1998

Show me your single din head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:27 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Show me your single din head unit

Thinking about replacing the factory head unit with something after market.
I want Blue Tooth and Satellite..

Any recommendations? It seems like most radio's today are really tacky with animated wall paper, etc.

I just want something clean, classic, that looks good in a 993.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-Line
Thinking about replacing the factory head unit with something after market.
I want Blue Tooth and Satellite..

Any recommendations? It seems like most radio's today are really tacky with animated wall paper, etc.

I just want something clean, classic, that looks good in a 993.

Thanks,
Thank you B-Line for starting this thread.

I am also looking to replace/upgrade the oem equipment (CDR 210). I totally agree that most of the auto audio receivers available today look tacky in a classic european car. The new Becker units are very nice and are available from europe, but the am radio band does not work in the US.

I am interested in:
  • clean classic look (ie not a lot of flash)
  • better fidelity
  • both am and fm radio bands
  • iphone/ipod compatibility

Any pics/advice is appreciated

Bob-
Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 AM
jainbaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I know I am biased (I work for JVC), but you need to check out the KDAVX77 El Kameleon.

When the unit is not powered on, it looks like the radio delete option. It has a gorgeous screen, built in bluetooth, touchscreen, DVD, CD, iPOD USB and many other features. I really think it is the coolest single DIN radio on the market.

Check out this link.

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=133&page=1
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
jainbaby
Racer

It works fully with iPhone and iPod and has BLUETOOTH BUILT IN.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jainbaby
OK, I know I am biased (I work for JVC), but you need to check out the KDAVX77 El Kameleon.

When the unit is not powered on, it looks like the radio delete option. It has a gorgeous screen, built in bluetooth, touchscreen, DVD, CD, iPOD USB and many other features. I really think it is the coolest single DIN radio on the market.

Check out this link.

Can you please post some pics of the radio installed. Turned on and off..

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a CDR 220 or whatever it's called -- the Becker radio from a 996 -- in my 993, with an ipod cable plugged in the back. No complaints and looks totally stock.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A CDR 220 will give you a considerable uptick in quality with a very stock look. If you want Nav capability a Traffic Pro will get you everything the 220 has + nav. Both will take an iPod adapter but won't display the iPod data and you can't run the stock multidisk CD changer if you've wired in the iPod adapter. If you need more than this you're basically into aftermarkert stuff with varying degrees of OEM look, none very close to stock IMHO.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not mine (I have the CDR-220) but I posted this last week. Much better looking IMHO of the non-OEM units.

Pioneer Premier unit

Can be had much cheaper than full list.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good timing on this thread, I just ordered an Alpine 9886 from Crutchfield last week. Supposed to be delivered this Thurs.

Previous owner of my car installed an Alpine unit that seems fine (probably 5 years old) doesn't look bad for non-oem (not too flashy or disco ball-ish), but it lacks ipod compatibility.

I'll report back with a pic or two when I get it hooked up. I too, hate the flashy, chrome, and scrolling crap that some or these newer units have.

Bluetooth is most likely a lost cause with my car being a cab.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
bobesser
Pro

Is there any steering wheel mounted remote that works with JVC?

Originally Posted by jainbaby

Check out this link.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Good timing on this thread, I just ordered an Alpine 9886 from Crutchfield last week. Supposed to be delivered this Thurs.

Previous owner of my car installed an Alpine unit that seems fine (probably 5 years old) doesn't look bad for non-oem (not too flashy or disco ball-ish), but it lacks ipod compatibility.

I'll report back with a pic or two when I get it hooked up. I too, hate the flashy, chrome, and scrolling crap that some or these newer units have.

Bluetooth is most likely a lost cause with my car being a cab.
Are you okay with the blue buttons? I think the 9887 changes color to red or amber which probably matches better. I have been looking at the 9887 as well as the 9886 and the 105, but I think Alpine is releasing a whole new line for 2010...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

that jvc unit looks cool.
i stumbled on this demo video if its helpful:
(no affil)
http://www.youtube.com/v/zr5yuzQwbeE...ata&autoplay=1
Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i am in same boat, want old school look with high end quality. not a lot that is best of all worlds. nakamichi might have fit bill but not sold in US anymore from what i can tell (and skipped a lot i hear). considering mcintosh but not the best look for a 911, but at least very functional looking with out disco *****. have an alpine now (from prior owner), not that bad, but simply doesnt feel like quality to the touch and lots of tiny buttons that arent that intuitive IMO when cruising at 70 on a tight twisty back road. this pioneer might be a decent compromise

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...er/DEH-P800PRS
Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

I'm eyeing the aftermarket as well, as it feels like my old Eclipse 5302 is getting a lil' tired. However, it's such a good deck both functionally and aesthetically, I'd hate to part with it. I spoke with an Alpine regional rep a few weeks ago, and based on that convo, I might wait until post CES next year to make a decision. SDcabrio, good choice on the 9886, btw. The 105 offers a lot of similar features in the 9886 and 9887, and I think Alpine kept the 988X units around for a bit longer than usual since it's such a popular (i.e. good?) piece.

I've been a long time fan of Alpine, but most features are somewhat ala carte including Bluetooth (I can see where if one component breaks down the road, or possibly needs updating like a Bluetooth module, the whole head unit doesn't need to be replaced/serviced). Nonetheless, I would still like to have more features built in. I have done some research, but if one could point out a head unit that's received good reviews on its built-in bluetooth/mic integrated to the head unit, I'd like to check it out. I know they're out there, but I've yet to hear 1st hand/solid reviews on the reception/signal quality/ease of functionality of built-in Bluetooth.

As for Nakamichi, aren't they out of business? I think they marketed their car audio product leveraging the great name from their home audio biz, contracted with Sony for some of the car audio components (that cd mechanism that's known to give the ghost), and fell by the way side (the irony of a design too simple, perhaps). As for Eclipse, I was considering that as the replacement, but I believe things went a tad south in their heritage line ever since they partnered with another audio company, around the time Circuit City started carrying them as well (I like to use the analogy of Kinesis wheels, but I'm sure it's not nearly that harsh).

My 0.02, and yes, very tough call, as I find myself somewhat in the same boat. The potential of future head unit arcade graphics for the 993 interior doesn't help either.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
jainbaby
Racer

bobesser,

Yes, Steering Wheel Remote Ready.

Quick Reply: Show me your single din head unit