Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Show me your single din head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Please note that it has no use to put high end gear in a 993.

I did this when I just got my car, spent 6000€ and the sound was still not that good when driving.

So I sold everything except the head unit and focals and bought some motor upgrades

Last edited by delanobe; 01-01-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the compliments. I have posted a few pictures below. I agree I think its the grey leather and the steel instrument and contol rings that allow me to get away with this.

I agree there is not much point in spending too much on sound in these cars. I changed the front (focal) and rear (new factory Hi Fi would you believe) speakers and the head unit, along with high quality cable and labour the total cost was around 1300 usd. I dont have any additional amplifiers. My engine is very loud with factory hollow cats so it seemed pointless to fight the engine when it starts its banshiee scream!

Cheers M
Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Alpine iDA-X305

I went with the Alpine iDA-X305.
I have had it for about two weeks now, and so far I am very pleased. I decided to try things without the CD-Changer, but I still have the bracket from my old CD changer if I change my mind. So far the only upgrade I am really thinking about is the bluetooth. I think the center dial fits nicely with the round gauges in the 993. So far my only complaint is the menus have a lot of layers, which can take a long time to navigate through while driving.

Here are a few pictures.
--Joe
Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this coming next week.

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/ha...parrot-rki8400

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
bart1
Race Car

Parrot seems pretty good in that it is flat black and has all the controls on the left side (at the expense of symmetry, I would prefer the **** on the left - this is important in a 993!). I have the Alpine 9886. It's okay and I think Alpine has (or had) the best iPod interface. Contrils are all on the left and the display is very good. I bought a Kenwood initially, but the display was so reflective, you could not read it during the day. One note, the older Alpine I have in my 968 is slightly easier to select songs on my iPod or iPhine with - on the 9886, you have hold the select button down a few seconds. On the older model, you just push play.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...&lang=en&tab=A
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P1CR
This is very nice looking unit. Apparently will be available in NA at Best Buy at the end of the month.
  • Cost somewhere around $300 usd
  • Single din
  • No cd
  • Accepts line-in on front of unit
  • Am band and 2 fm bands. Works in NA
  • Works w/ Iphone, made for Ipod
  • Will charge Iphone
  • Accepts sd card
  • Made in China.
Possibly a very good solution.

Thanks for the lead!

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 10-05-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

That Parrot does look very interesting, thanks! I love how the face folds down and you can hide your ipod/iphone inside, very slick. I have no use for a CD player anyway, and this saves putting the cable in the glovebox.

Some nice possibilities here. I like that JVC, the Parrot, and I still like the Becker, if only there were a place to order it in NA.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I just purchased the Parrott RKi 8400, try to install it this week. Also purchased the adapter Audi/VW kit. Hope it will go in w/o much trouble.
It looks very nice and the matt black matches up with the dash pretty good too. We'll see how it sounds with the adapter running the factory Nokia amp and speakers. That's the start anyways.
The best sound is still the Fabspeeds out back
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

EckFe1 - please post back here about how the install goes, what you needed etc. This will be one of my winter projects, and I like the look of this deck.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

A couple people in this thread have mentioned audio quality. Maybe it's because I have the factory upgraded sound system, I don't find it to be all that bad. It's certainly not terrible.

But I'm wanting to replace the head unit not for better sound but for better access to technology. I need hands free phone in Cali and headsets and speakers don't work that well with the loud engine behind. Also would be nice to have satellite radio and iPod..
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

The Parrot comes with a mic and Bluetooth setup for no extra charge. However, my car is pretty loud inside. Not sure how this is going to work out. I had a Bluetooth setup in my 04' G55. Though it was much older technology, it was terrible, A
and managed to frusterate anyone I was talking to unless parked.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

where is the ipod input on the CDR220?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
I went with the Alpine iDA-X305.
I have had it for about two weeks now, and so far I am very pleased. I decided to try things without the CD-Changer, but I still have the bracket from my old CD changer if I change my mind. So far the only upgrade I am really thinking about is the bluetooth. I think the center dial fits nicely with the round gauges in the 993. So far my only complaint is the menus have a lot of layers, which can take a long time to navigate through while driving.

Here are a few pictures.
--Joe
Nice - a couple guys on the MB forums have it installed....

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-...-33490617.html
Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know if the CDR-23 from the newer Boxsters will work in the 993? Or is it a fiber loop unit?

There just seems to be more 23's available.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

So, any progress from those waiting to install the Parrot? Am I correct that this essentially will kill the use of the changer? My son asked me what the hell I would need the changer for if I had my ipod hooked up, since it contains all my CDs. I guess that's right, but I went through so much trouble to move the unit to the driver's side of the front bay, I'm loathe to lose it. Plus, it means that if I want to use the ipod while mowing, I've got to remember where the heck I left it.

I'm really anxious to know how the bluetooth/wireless phone feature works in a car that is not known for being quiet (especially when I have my foot in the tank)

Quick Reply: Show me your single din head unit