Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jainbaby
bobesser,

Yes, Steering Wheel Remote Ready.
like the thummer for blaupunkt?

I read the literature, and it seems like it will accept signals from a steering wheel that has integrated buttons. 993 steering wheels do not have integrated buttons. I want something that I can attach to the steering wheel and control the head unit. Is that something that can be done? Is there a link?

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
like the thummer for blaupunkt?

I read the literature, and it seems like it will accept signals from a steering wheel that has integrated buttons. 993 steering wheels do not have integrated buttons. I want something that I can attach to the steering wheel and control the head unit. Is that something that can be done? Is there a link?

Thanks,
You can always get a tiptronic steering wheel and use the buttons.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 PM
TargaMatt
Instructor

Good timing on this thread . . . I've been looking at head units for a while, and planning on installing one during the car's winter nap. My main concern has been with maintaining stock look, but I really want ipod integration. I'm not really interested in the CDR-220 with ipod in, as I want nicely integrated song selection from the head unit, so that the ipod can remain hidden. I had pretty well narrowed it down to the Becker Grand Prix 7990, and was in the progress of trying to figure out how to order one, as they are European market only. There was a recent thread on the 964 forum as well where one poster recommended an eBay vendor, and I was going to look into that.

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/CAR+NAV...Prix+7990.html

That said, I must say I'm quite intrigued by the JVC mentioned in this post! I will definitely look into that further, as I suspect it will meet my needs, but keeps a nice clean appearance in the car.

Would love to see pics of the JVC installed, on and off, as well as hear if anyone on this forum has had experience ordering the Becker above. I'll see if I can dig up that recent thread, think I had tracked it...

matt

Edit: found the recent thread I spoke of:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-radios.html
it also includes a link to the thread where someone did install a grand prix 7990
Lots of choices!

Last edited by TargaMatt; 09-28-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added link info
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TargaMatt
Good timing on this thread . . . I've been looking at head units for a while, and planning on installing one during the car's winter nap. My main concern has been with maintaining stock look, but I really want ipod integration. I'm not really interested in the CDR-220 with ipod in, as I want nicely integrated song selection from the head unit, so that the ipod can remain hidden. I had pretty well narrowed it down to the Becker Grand Prix 7990, and was in the progress of trying to figure out how to order one, as they are European market only. There was a recent thread on the 964 forum as well where one poster recommended an eBay vendor, and I was going to look into that.

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/CAR+NAV...Prix+7990.html

That said, I must say I'm quite intrigued by the JVC mentioned in this post! I will definitely look into that further, as I suspect it will meet my needs, but keeps a nice clean appearance in the car.

Would love to see pics of the JVC installed, on and off, as well as hear if anyone on this forum has had experience ordering the Becker above. I'll see if I can dig up that recent thread, think I had tracked it...

matt

Edit: found the recent thread I spoke of:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-radios.html
it also includes a link to the thread where someone did install a grand prix 7990
Lots of choices!

This Becker unit would be my pick too except the am band wont work in NA
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Warpig
Pro

It looks like there are many of us in this boat. I am also looking for a new radio for the car. I have all but pulled the trigger on the Alpine 9886. was seriously looking at the 9887 but it appears as if it has no USB Hard Drive/Thumb drive input where the 9886 does. To me this is important. ultimately I'd like to drop an external hard drive with my MP3 collection on it in the glove box or trunk and have it be my main source. I could care less about IPod as I'm old school with my music files. Was looking at the Alpine data line units but they all lack a CD Reader which is also very important to me. The 9887 has imprint built in but you can add it to the 9886 with a trunk mounted processor. this works for me because I plan on installing a trunk mounted amp and a pair of components in the doors. The 9886 with the external imprint effectively moves the Line outs right next to the amp in the trunk and supposedly allows external USB. Anyone who has a 9886/7 in the chicagoland area that wouldn't mind giving me a demo? I too am somewhat turned off by Alpine's 'Everything Ready" but "Nothing included" head units, but am willing to give in on that based on the sound quality (even more so with Imprint). It just seems that ultimately the HU I'm really looking for just does not exist yet. Also anyone with Focal components that would be willing to give me a demo?

Nick
Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi There. This wont suit your needs at all but if you are a true audiophile then in my opinion it cant be beaten. looks damn good in my 993 too. Pur Burr Brown DAc n line, full filter pass etcetc. For those of us who still like pure sound....Kenwood K-CD01 (was expensive at around 6-700usd in 2006).....and a volume **** to die for.......

PS. I also have the original JVC El Kameleon and although it doesnt have the 1000s of functions of the new model it has a neat retracting and reversing display with real buttons and volume ****. Its a really sweet unit if you can find one. Alas no ipod but then again with the compromise in quality its never been a concern for me with the 993.
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 AM
TargaMatt
Instructor

jainbaby - do you have any pics of that JVC unit? I'm impressed, but the website you linked to only has the one pic. I'd like to see it installed, as well as powered down.

If that doesn't work out, let's organize a group buy on the Becker 7990 . . . sounds like we probably would have several people interested!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
This Becker unit would be my pick too except the am band wont work in NA
I can't remember the last time I listened to AM radio. It's been decades.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I can't remember the last time I listened to AM radio. It's been decades.
I frequently use my 993 to commute from Boulder to Denver during rush hour traffic. I get a traffic updates every 10 minutes on am radio.

For me, am radio is necessary.

If I didnt need it, I get the Becker unit.

Bob-
Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I frequently use my 993 to commute from Boulder to Denver during rush hour traffic. I get a traffic updates every 10 minutes on am radio.

For me, am radio is necessary.

If I didnt need it, I get the Becker unit.

Bob-
Makes sense to me.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Head Unit

I too am struggling with this dilemma as I'm way over my Alpine unit (looks tacky now). Naturally I want the Becker Mexico (Killer Hi-Tech Retro) but it's ridiculous expensive and you lose much of it's functionality given it's EU only config.

I'm now on to the McIntosh MX406 but my main concern there is theft!!
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
jainbaby
Racer

If anyone is interested in a group buy type thing on the JVC, I may be able to help

PM me if interested.

See the below link to video review from CNET.

Also check out the KDAVX40.

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-...?tag=mncol;lst
Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Austin993
Track Day

When I bought my 993 it had an aftermarket silver clarion head unit and looked pretty ugly in my old-school dash. The way I fixed it and improved the look was to remove the faceplate and paint it satin black. It covered up the text on the front (most of that stuff was meant for a teenager anyway). I didn't see much risk in this because the silver head unit was going to go either way: If I screwed it up, no big loss. In my opinion it looks much better and I can now spend the money on stuff that matters.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Warpig
Pro

Gotta have my AM radio. Can't miss my baseball play by play when I need it.

Macca that Kenwood deck looks great in your car, but it's got allot to do with your guage rings. without them it wouldn't look right.

Nick
Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 AM
silverporsche993
Instructor

ok.... someone here want to sell me their cdr-210? mine died yesterday. thanks peter

Quick Reply: Show me your single din head unit