Sponsored by:

cup holder question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the VW version, works fantastic, holds two cups, and folds away when not in use. Made by the parent company of Porsche! :-)
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have this cupholder from prestige parts in the UK. looks factory and very well made.

http://www.prestigeparts.co.uk/993.htm
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for prestige version
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM
TargaMatt
Instructor

I have the Inventiva (actually loaned by a friend to try as he wasn't using it). It does work well, and is inconspicuous, but I find it a hassle with the seat moving forward. I take my kids reasonably often in the car, and every time they move the seat forward it knocks it off the rail. Small hassle, I guess.

Does anyone have pictures of this VW one people are referring to? I'm not familiar with it, sounds interesting.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm that prestige does look good... I had not seen it before.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drank out of the bottle, put the cap back on and stick it between the driver's seat and door. The 16 oz bottles fit perfectly in there.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

My inventiva concepts one broke the other day when I put the seat forward using the electronic seat forward button and it bent the screw to the point that it won't work with the cupholder anymore. The cupholder falls off every time I put the seat forward as it sits on the seat rail, so I don't consider this method a great cupholder at all. You should be able to put the seat back and forward without the cupholder falling off each time and eventually ruining the screw which holds the thing on, making the whole $35 cupholder into a boat anchor.

Time for me to find another cupholder too. I only use it to hold my starbuck aluminum water bottle in place so I can drink cold water when I'm driving.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My inventiva concepts one broke the other day when I put the seat forward using the electronic seat forward button and it bent the screw to the point that it won't work with the cupholder anymore. The cupholder falls off every time I put the seat forward as it sits on the seat rail, so I don't consider this method a great cupholder at all. You should be able to put the seat back and forward without the cupholder falling off each time and eventually ruining the screw which holds the thing on, making the whole $35 cupholder into a boat anchor.....
Steve - If you are interested in selling your broken cupholder please PM me. I'm trying to find something that works with my current seat set-up and wanted to experiment/modify something. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Steve - If you are interested in selling your broken cupholder please PM me. I'm trying to find something that works with my current seat set-up and wanted to experiment/modify something. Thanks!
I"ll let you know. I sent an email to the owner asking if he has an extra screw so mine will work again. Then I'd have to hacksaw my screw off I guess and see if it works. I'm horrible at simple DIY's, even something as 2nd grade as this one!

Steve
Old 09-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Inventiva one works fine. I've simply trained my girls to contort themselves to get into the back without adjusting the front seat.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My inventiva concepts one broke the other day when I put the seat forward using the electronic seat forward button and it bent the screw to the point that it won't work with the cupholder anymore.
I had that happen shortly after I ordered mine. I contacted the guys at Inventiva and they sent me a new locking screw. I reinstalled the cup holder a little more carefully and it has been great for 2+ years now.

Even so, I really like the idea on the Mug Huggers. At $10 for 2, I think I will order a pair. That gives me a cup holder when we tour and one for the SC when heading to the track.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Mizuno
Advanced

Have there been any new recent attempts at solving the 993 cup holder "issue" elegantly?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizuno
Have there been any new recent attempts at solving the 993 cup holder "issue" elegantly?
This might be a little simple, but what about just having an ordinary water bottle laying on the passenger seat?

Unless you brake really, really hard, it ain't going anywhere, and access is less than an arm's reach away.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizuno
I had the Inventiva, but removed it due to restrictions on moving passenger seat.

I made a small modification to my Rennline Extinguisher Mount and added a Modshack cup holder. This model moves with the seat and does not restrict any access to controls or seat movement.

Very easy to remove/install. Ram mount system also allows other attachments like iPhone, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Bern993
Rennlist Member

Pelican now has the console cup holder PEL-CH964

Quick Reply: cup holder question