993 Forum 1995-1998

Need adhesive / weather stripping advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need adhesive / weather stripping advice

After traveling 5,154 miles roundtrip from Minneapolis to the Monterey Historics in the 993, the only problem encountered was that I tore the weather stripping attached to the sunroof panel loose while cleaning the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what adhesive would be good to use to reattach the weather stripping? By the way, there are roads in Idaho and Oregon that were designed by someone who had Porsche in mind. These cars were meant to be driven....
Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sigf,

I've had the same problem with my 1974 Carrera. The ONLY thing to use is a 3M product called:

80119 Weatherstrip Adhesive (black). It comes in a tube. I bought it here in Calgary in a general parts supply store. That stuff has been called "Gorrila Snot", but that was the yellow version, don't buy it, for it shows if you have a bit of overlap. Be careful with it, if you get it on your finger it takes days to get it peeled off.

It really works, in my humble opinion, if you happen to be in the neighbourhood (Calgary, Alberta Canada), you can use the tube I have LOL.

Ocean Blue C2S
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. It's what the bodyshops (mostly) use.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by sigf
... By the way, there are roads in Idaho and Oregon that were designed by someone who had Porsche in mind.....
Pics?

(good luck with your sunroof, too)
Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Rinty
Drifting

...Calgary in a general parts supply store...Ocean Blue
Bert:

Which store is that? I'm trying to get some 3M adhesive remover so I can get my bugs off.

TIA.

...there are roads in Idaho and Oregon...Sigf
I was at a BMW bike rally in B.C. a few years ago, and one of our Idahoan members gave me a map on which he had yellow lined every good bike in the state.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I also endorse the 3M adhesive....great stuff, but it stains your fingers like a bugger. You can also go to a good autobody repair supply store, they should have all this stuff.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rinty,

I think (may be memory lapse) that I got the 3M adhesive at Bowness Auto Parts, or at Parts Source on 17th Ave...

You can have my tube if you cannot find it ...

Air-cooled regards,

Bert
Old 09-07-2009, 04:10 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Suggestions: 1) clean both surfaces with the 3M adhesive remover first, then let dry. Apply a thin film of the 3M black adhesive to both surfaces. (I like to use a toothpick or something similar to spread it w/o leaving globs.) Let the adhesive dry for a few minutes before bringing the two surfaces together. That should minimize any slipping. Depending on the location, if you should need to clamp, try good old-fashioned wooden clothespins (the two-piece version with the spring).

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 09-07-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rinty
I'm trying to get some 3M adhesive remover so I can get my bugs off.
Hey Rinty,

Hope you find this helpful.. I've spent a bunch of time learning detailing tricks lately (the 993 justifies the time and effort.) For the bugs you might want to use something a bit mellower than the 3M which would strip off any protection that you have on the paint be it sealer or wax.

Something like this:
http://www.eshine.ca/1z_einszett_ant..._169oz-100.php

Another anti-bug trick I learned recently is to take paper towels (or micro-fibers) and soak them, and then drape them on the bug splatter, after 5 or 10 minutes it wipes right off. I would use Optimum No Rinse to both soak the towels and for the wipe down, you can dilute it to Quick Detailer strength for this purpose. Use a soft micro-fiber for the wipe down.

http://www.eshine.ca/optimum_no_rins..._32oz-1609.php

Quick Reply: Need adhesive / weather stripping advice