993 Forum 1995-1998

Hydroplaning Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroplaning Help

Just had my first opportunity to drive my 993 in very heavy rain with lots of standing water on road. I noticed the car hydro planes quite a bit. I guess this is normal? Any tips for handling in these conditions??
brandon
p.s. I feel for my PNW brothers
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How good are your tires?

Jason
Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Brand new Sumis (less than 500 miles on them)
Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Not to be a smart a**,but…… slow down......

Really there are only three things that I can think of
1) Slow down, so the tires can do their job, the channels of the tread can only move so much water. If you exceed that capacity you hydroplane.
2) Get newer/better tires. Wider tires=worse rain performance
3)Overinflating your tires may help a very slight amount.

Once you start to hydroplane the only thing you can do is to keep the tires pointed in the direction of travel, do not hit the brakes, and keep a slight throttle (just enough so there is no engine braking). That way when you do regain traction (hopefully before hitting something) you can gradually steer where you want to go. Same goes with braking/acelerating, you want to match what the car is doing, not what you want it to do, then "persuade" it to do what you want.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi,
Drove thru' a veritable DELUGE on I-80 (westbound) last year. I had just gotten off the George Washington Bridge (heading to Oak Ridge, NJ) and the sky literally went BLACK and 'opened up'.
Had my lights on, the wipers on 'full' and the defroster and rear windshield ON.
I slowed DOWN to 50 mph and the car behaved fine in the rain - and even in "wheel-arch-cleaning" puddles -- you know, the ones that go "whoooosh"!
In ground-school (for pilots) we were taught that the speed (kts) for hydroplaning is

9 X sqrt (tire pressure in lbs.sq.in)

So for a p-car, with tires at 36psi, that comes out to 9X6 = 54 (X 1.15 to convert kts to mph) = 62 mph.

Because tires tend to hydroplane if they are 'wide' - I reduced my speed accordingly. My tires are relatively new too, so I'm sure the 'deeper tread' helped to dissipate water more easily.

IMHO, if you think you are about to hit a deluge -- SLOW THE EFF DOWN!!!, pull into the turning/right-hand lane, put on your hazards and drive 'defensively'. Be ready to 'counter-steer' if you feel the tail getting giddy. Say it out loud which way you will turn the steering wheel if the tail turns whichever way - so that your reaction is instant and correct. Let the zipper-heads in their SUVs blast past you (you know, the ones that think the laws of friction don't apply to them!), and just keep your 'stance' until you are out of the storm. Chances are, when the skies clear, you'll be 'back on track' and will be passing these idiots as they find themselves summarily embedded in the nearest tree and are wondering what happened.

My $0.02,
Gerry
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
Not to be a smart a**,but…… slow down......

Really there are only three things that I can think of
1) Slow down, so the tires can do their job, the channels of the tread can only move so much water. If you exceed that capacity you hydroplane.
2) Get newer/better tires. Wider tires=worse rain performance
3)Overinflating your tires may help a very slight amount.

and #4... sell your C2 and buy my C4.

I kid.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the input. just wanted to make sure this was normal, and yes, I will be slowing down in these conditions.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I've only had this problem with bald rear tires, & it was more of a side to side sway. Yea, we get a lot of rain in the PNW, but mostly it's light, so not a ton of standing water.

I would check you tire pressure, & alignment. Of course the tires, you said they are new, that can also be part of it, they need to scrub in a bit.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:03 AM
burton
Rennlist Member

When the kinematic toe in my 993 was off, it felt almost like the rear end was trying to steer on sand/gravel or standing water. If that's the sensation you notice check the alignment.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Believe it or not, the tire pressure being raised helps as that is part of the formula for determining hydroplaning speed.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:18 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

I am surprised to read some of these posts. I live in central FL and use my 993 as a daily driver. With a 40 mile commute each way, I encounter a lot of rain on the ride. In fact the last few weeks I've hit some of the worst rain I've ever driven in.

I have a stock alignment and good tread on my tires. No hydroplaning action whatsoever at freeway speeds of 80 mph or so, with quite a bit of standing water.

A number of times, I've had the experience Stealth 993 described. When the back tires got to the wear bars, the car would yaw (rear end would sway slightly) at steady-state speeds below even 50 mph.

dave
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is excellent in the rain. Your aligent must be out to lunch. Get it checked.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems in the straights, but a slick pavement, off camber turn caught me unawares once and I fishtailed. Loss of style points for sure...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:39 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Driving 80 mph through standing water without loss of control due to hydroplaning is pure luck--many of us have done it with no problem, but it doesn't mean the tires didn't lose contact with the pavement. Gerry's final paragraph is sage advice, succinctly put.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Driving 80 mph through standing water without loss of control due to hydroplaning is pure luck--many of us have done it with no problem, but it doesn't mean the tires didn't lose contact with the pavement. Gerry's final paragraph is sage advice, succinctly put.
Oh, I agree with you on both. but the original question implied that the 993 naturally hydroplanes more than other cars. The RWD and engine-out-back thing doesn't help, but there is no reason a 993 should be ill mannered in rain when driven reasonably.

I was making a point that I did not feel like my 993 was so unstable such that I felt I had to pull over in the right lane and drive 40mph when it gets misty outside.

dave

Quick Reply: Hydroplaning Help