Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My top end rebuild begins - First step, dynoed the car today to get the baseline

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default My top end rebuild begins - First step, dynoed the car today to get the baseline

Hey guys,

In light of my top end rebuild plans for this winter, I dynoed the car this morning.
I got a solid 279,4hp and 337Nm (248lbs ft) at the flywheel (Corrected). The power at wheels was 250hp.
The only changes related to the motor are Dach-x pipe, RSR mufflers and RS airbox.
Looking at the torque curve you can clearly see that the car is running lean. Even more so when we did a re-run without the air filter (the curve was even choppier and peak power was down to 270hp).
It is clear that the standard ECU cannot adapt well to the better airflow (airbox & exhaust).

My tuner who has 20+ years of experience in building the fastest rally and road race car engines in Finland (even factory teams like Toyota and Honda use his services at times), said he could get 300 crank hp out of the car with just Motec and some time on the dyno.

It will be interesting to see if my top end rebuild really gets out of hands and what will be the end result… =)

Stay tuned!

Juha

Last edited by Juha G; 08-26-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a exciting project/tune & test. Looking fwd to seeing the results. Good Luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting to see what those Audi guys can do!
(I assume it's that place?)

So you're gonna do just top rebuild with the Motec'ing or let them go little "deeper" (RS cams, intake valves)? Or even more?

Do a leakdown test before you tear it apart. Once apart, check the rings & cylinders, to make sure it's all OK there and if not, did I hear 3.8 or 4.0?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Interesting to see what those Audi guys can do!
(I assume it's that place?)
No, not LMS, this is the place where LMS brings their cars when they run out of talent. Really!
It's a small one man company (has allways been), the guy belongs to the best of the best in Finland.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
So you're gonna do just top rebuild with the Motec'ing or let them go little "deeper" (RS cams, intake valves)? Or even more?

Do a leakdown test before you tear it apart. Once apart, check the rings & cylinders, to make sure it's all OK there and if not, did I hear 3.8 or 4.0?
My number one goal is to replace the valve guides, secondary object is to squeeze some additional power out of the engine while I'm there.
9meister billet heds, cams etc. are very very tempting.
For sure I'll do a leak down and compression before I take it apart and then all the checks when it is apart.
3.8 no questions asked if c/p need to be replaced...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
No, not LMS, this is the place where LMS brings their cars when they run out of talent. Really!
It's a small one man company (has allways been), the guy belongs to the best of the best in Finland.

My number one goal is to replace the valve guides, secondary object is to squeeze some additional power out of the engine while I'm there.
9meister billet heds, cams etc. are very very tempting.
For sure I'll do a leak down and compression before I take it apart and then all the checks when it is apart.
3.8 no questions asked if c/p need to be replaced...
Got it. Have no knowledge of that guy... Sounds great, I have no doubt there will be some "out of the box" type of thinking/stuff and that the results will be great!

Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, should be entertaining.

Not sure there would be a measureable HP gain from a straightforward top end refresh but it sounds like this won't be your usual refresh.

I have seen a big change in emmissions, before and after... but that is no fun. 9m heads... now that's fun
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I think part of the reason you lost HP with out the air filter is the MAF. The air filter smoothes the air flow through the MAF, when you remove it, you get turbulent air through the MAF & it gets confused, then you loose power.

If you go distrubitorless with MoTec I can see you picking up some good top end, & way more torque.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

For an engine of this specification there will be no advantage to running a distributorless ignition system. Larger injectors, high flow air filter, MAP sensor + Motec on the stock ignition will be all you need to easily eclipse 300hp.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Old 11-21-2009, 10:27 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Awesome!
Old 11-22-2009, 02:13 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
O.k., now that's funny .... I can see the road crew now ....
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Keep updaing the us on the progress! Sounds like you have a few **** to turn and how far you can turn them will have some serious impact on your pocketbook!

-reiner
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

This will be interesting to watch, keep us up to date on every step!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Time to update the thread.
I ended up finding out the reason for the oil burning. It's a little bit embarrassing but everything points out to having too much oil in the sump. (i.e. user error).
So instead of pulling the heads out, I have focused on the following for this winter:

1. Motec conversion (+300hp is the target)
2. Brake caliber rebuild (all four)
3. RS carpet kit installation
4. Rear shock top mount replacement
5. Refinish my BBS LM street wheels
6. Custom RS style door panels
7. Stereo replacement. My Nakamichi swallowed one of my Metallica CDs...
8. Light weight speakers on RS door panels
9. Repaint rear bumber
10. Add 200cell metallic sport cats on the DACH cat bypass pipe (noise and emission reasons)

We will make a custom adapter loom for the motec so that I can swap between the standard ECU and Motec just plug n play. (this is important for the yearly inspection we have to take our cars to in Finland, no error codes etc.)

Sorry to dissapoint you as you were all expecting to see some photos and write ups of the head job...

I'll keep this updated as I progress (nothing really finished yet).

Cheers!

Juha

Ps. 9m....next winter....
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 1,834 Posts

Sounds like a great build in the making. Nice work Juha.

Quick Reply: My top end rebuild begins - First step, dynoed the car today to get the baseline