Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

120K Mile Service: Engine Drop or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 120K Mile Service: Engine Drop or No?

Soliciting experienced opinions on how to proceed with my next project...

I am sneaking up on the 120K mile service on my '95 C2 and plan to do the following:

Plugs
Plug wires
Caps and Rotors
Dist belt
Fuel filter
Air filter
Lower valve covers & gaskets
Chain cover gaskets
Oil and filters
Clean ISV

Power steering belt (if I drop the motor)
Hydraulic lifters (if I drop the motor (a few are getting slightly noisy but no issue - this would be preventative maintenance really))

I have the tools and the mechanical aptitude to do the job with the engine in the car or out. Just looking for feedback on the PITA factor and time factor of one method versus the other.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Drop it!

Andreas
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey there...

I, too, am in SoCal and am looking for some hands on experience on how to do some of these jobs on my C4S. If you need an extra set of hands, I'd gladly give you some free labor for some learning...
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you need a new clutch?

If you still have a lot of life left on your clutch you can do all of the things mentioned above without dropping the motor and it will take much less time. The P/S belt should be ok, I have not seen one in bad shape even from a 120k mile 18 year old 964. There is a way to replace the P/S belt without taking out the came shaft gear if you really really want to replace the P/S belt with the engine in the car.

But personally I am hooked on dropping motors, there is nothing like having a motor hanging around in your driveway.

Here is the PS belt from an 18 year old 964 with 120k miles
Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went through this (or my mechanic did) Drop it. Especially for the chain covers. Plus everything is so easy to get to out of the car. Change your sound pad and clean up the engine compartment. Kind of a while you are in there approach.

Mike
Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Missed the timing chain cover gasket, would recommend dropping the engine for that.

Just did one on a 964
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drop it like it's hot.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Hey there...

I, too, am in SoCal and am looking for some hands on experience on how to do some of these jobs on my C4S. If you need an extra set of hands, I'd gladly give you some free labor for some learning...
I'm too interested in getting my hands dirty to help out in exchange for some learning opportunity. I'm in OC, but willing to travel to LA.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of your list can be accomplished in a long day with the engine in place. You will need to remove the manifold, engine tin, and lower the engine a few engine a few inches. Even the lifters will be easy to access. The only task that will be problematic with the engine in place is replacing the chain cover gaskets.

On the other hand I see you have a few offers of help. To me that screams
"Drop It" if for no other reason than the adventure. I'm hoping someone in our area is thinking of doing an engine drop just so I can try to scrub in!

Either way, have fun and good luck,
Neil
Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

What would be the difference in total time? I have a couple of minor oil leaks. I've been wondering what it would cost to have an indie drop the engine and do some clean up. I do not have the skill or time. In order to get Andreas' clean I need to stop the oil leaks first
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Soliciting experienced opinions on how to proceed with my next project...

I am sneaking up on the 120K mile service on my '95 C2 and plan to do the following:

Plugs
Plug wires
Caps and Rotors
Dist belt
Fuel filter
Air filter
Lower valve covers & gaskets
Chain cover gaskets
Oil and filters
Clean ISV

Power steering belt (if I drop the motor)
Hydraulic lifters (if I drop the motor (a few are getting slightly noisy but no issue - this would be preventative maintenance really))

I have the tools and the mechanical aptitude to do the job with the engine in the car or out. Just looking for feedback on the PITA factor and time factor of one method versus the other.

Thanks!
I just completed the all of the work you are looking to do. I dropped the engine. You might as well do the LWFW and clutch.

The work with the engine out is pretty straight forward. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to do the work described with the engine in. The difficulty factor has to be at least 2 and maybe 3 for some of the items.

GL!

Bob-
Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Hey there...

VNTGSPD,
+1 on that. There's a few of us here in SD (kjr914, flastsixforme, cgfen) that I'm sure would show up to lend a hand! <--like this! Ok, AFTER the drop.

I was just asking that same question and I've only got to do plug wires....seems thats a pain with the engine in the car. Probably overkill just for wires.

Cheers,
Keith
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drop it as well. I did pretty much the same things as well as a new clutch. The time you futz around putting 10 odd socket connectors to reach something you could have dropped the engine.

I did change my PS belt but probably didn't need it. Even looking at the one robin posted looked fine. I was going to do the cain covers but they weren't that bad compared to all of the extra stuff that needed to be removed to get them off.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider me convinced!

I was on the fence already and looking at Boulderbobo's thread had me thinking that I really don't want to bother with dropping it. But, all of the interest for helping hands makes this sound like a project that could be fun (in a masochistic sort of way I suppose). It'll be at least another month before I have everything in place but when I do, I will resurrect this thread and contact those that were interested in helping out or spectating to settle on a date.

For the planners out there, I live near the 5/57/22 freeways in Santa Ana.

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM
helmet155
Pro

I'd be happy to lend a hand, I have helped in engine drops twice, one 964 and one 993

Quick Reply: 120K Mile Service: Engine Drop or No?