Noise diagnosis help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Noise diagnosis help?

Odd situation. Taking it into the shop Monday, but looking for some info first.

Here's what I know: ODB I fault codes showing an intermittently faulty air conditioner flapper motor (ok, I still think that is a ridiculous name for a part on a 911), found during the PPI and disclosed beforehand by the PO.

There is a click / rattle that seems to come from somewhere forward of the steering wheel (i.e., definitely NOT behind the driver, eliminating clutch, trans, engine, rear susp, etc.). It sounds like it MIGHT be coming from in the dash, but I "feel" the click / rattle in the wheel and sometimes in the pedals/floorboard.

It doesn't seem to happen at standstill, regardless of revving the engine, but does seem to happen upon forward movement, as if a ball was on a string and was thrown backwards and hit something. I can't really tell if it happens more with the air conditioning on, and though it seems like it might, it doesn't immediately lessen when the air is turned off. Happens with some bumps, but not all. Hard to tell if it happens at higher speeds as the engine noise and road feel overrides anything I'd feel anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

My guess is the noise you are hearing is the windshield creaking that is a very common squawk on the 993. It would sound like a behind the dash rattle.

Many threads on this under "Windshield noise". Bottom line is the foam rope insertion and once a year dose with Pedros Ice Wax or 3M Silicone Spray. I think the silicone spray works better.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

It isn't a squeak, and I can feel it in the wheel and sometimes near the pedals. I don't think the windshield would cause all that.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Any chance a brake caliper is sticking? Or something related to the front suspension? Have you retorqued the wheels?

Just thinking...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, I haven't retorqued...I can check that, but it is tracking true, no pull in either direction, or wandering, etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 248 Posts

Could it be the vacuum operated resirk flap has lost it's pushrod or vacuum hose and may be flapping back and forth? You could check this by either looking up beneath the steering column and look for movement when hitting the resirk button on the CCU. If you have some Blaupunkt tools you could also flip out the CCU and look there.
However, if the flap's loose it's movement may be dependent on the fan speed setting, not according to your description.
Just me thinking loud here, especially since you get the described fault code...
Regards,
Tore
Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't poked around behind the dash yet...I've learned to ask first because someone sometimes comes up with "That is the old...[insert known to others but me 993 issue here] cropping up again".
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm getting a similar clicking sound, and mine seems to be right behind the steering wheel. I haven't tried figuring it out though. I have an aftermarket non-airbag wheel so it's not a clockspring issue. I assumed it was a loose wire or something related to the momo wheel.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine I can feel even as far as the floorboards sometimes, at very low speeds. So I'm assuming it isn't the wheel itself, but something getting transmitted up through it. I'm guessing either the flapper or a suspension piece, but it seems that the suspension would cause some feel in the wheel at higher speeds too. That and it just went through a thorough PPI that would have caught that, unless the shipper broke something, which seems unlikely.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be the very beginning of a control arm bushing problem. You would think if they pry'ed around on it during the PPI it would have been discovered, but maybe it's just starting to go bad and the stresses of driving and having it torque'd on in just right (or wrong) way is enough to make it click here and there but prying wasn't. I would imaging you could feel that in the steering & floorboard. Just my $.02 and a guess on my part.

Nick
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

They did mention in the PPI, but didn't mention a noise. I even contacted both the PO and the shop again...neither said they heard a noise. Of course, on the way to the shop on Saturday, the noise wasn't happening...

Quick Reply: Noise diagnosis help?