Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?

Been thinking about an 02 or 03 BMW 530i, last years of the pre-Bangle era. These cars do have some issues like window regulators quitting, radiators and couple of other things. Am I asking for trouble with one of these? Would like to hear from those of you who've had one, would you buy one again knowing what you know now?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know nothing about maintenance, but did have one for about a month (friend needed to use our minivan while her kids were in town). Great driving car. Such neutral handling, great sound from the engine.

dave
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

I have an '06 530I (Bangle era) and love it. On a recent 1000 mile trip we averaged 30+ MPG. I have the multi function comfort seats; they are very nice. The car is so nice that the looks grow on you.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned several 5 series, but only one was an e39. It was a 540iTa. The automatic transmission is a maintenance item and (since I hate automatics) when it went out on me, I really soured on the car. From there we went to a new 328it -- which we love.

The 5 series got progressively worse in terms of handling, longevity and reliability -- it became a more luxury oriented car, not the sports sedan BMW should be (IMHO). But as modern(ish) BMWs go, an e39 530i is a good car (much better reliability than the 4.4 v8 and better handling, too). Especially with a manual and the sports package. The build quality is good, but as you recognize the cooling system is really subpar. Few other issues, but mostly small (pixels on the displays, etc.). A well maintained one should be a solid car. The folks at BIMMER magazine loved that car....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned one (my wife's) for 4 years and 40K miles (the car now has 82K miles). The E39 530i has the more basic (in comparsion to the V8s) instrument cluster which generally does NOT experience instrument cluster pixel issues. The cooling system is fine but should be considered a wear item. At the first sign of a leak or 80K miles (whichever comes first) replace every component of the system - radiator/water pump/all hoses/coolant tank. Then you'll be fine for another 80K. The job is kind of a PITA, but not too expensive if you do it yourself. I've never had any other problems except for a torque converter (replaced with an updated unit under warranty). Oh, and if you care, the cup holders break easily.

This is a very reliable car but not much fun to drive. Athough the steering is rack and pinion, it's kinda dead feeling. The steering in the E39 M5 (faster ratio/recirculating ball) is much better. Overall, these cars are incredible deals at today's prices. And they get 26-28 mpg on the hwy.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 AM
JM993
Banned

Oh, and don't overlook the 01s - essentially the same as the 02s and 03s.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmarch
I've owned one (my wife's) for 4 years and 40K miles (the car now has 82K miles). The E39 530i has the more basic (in comparsion to the V8s) instrument cluster which generally does NOT experience instrument cluster pixel issues. The cooling system is fine but should be considered a wear item. At the first sign of a leak or 80K miles (whichever comes first) replace every component of the system - radiator/water pump/all hoses/coolant tank. Then you'll be fine for another 80K. The job is kind of a PITA, but not too expensive if you do it yourself. I've never had any other problems except for a torque converter (replaced with an updated unit under warranty). Oh, and if you care, the cup holders break easily.

This is a very reliable car but not much fun to drive. Athough the steering is rack and pinion, it's kinda dead feeling. The steering in the E39 M5 (faster ratio/recirculating ball) is much better. Overall, these cars are incredible deals at today's prices. And they get 26-28 mpg on the hwy.

Cheers,
Joe
Good feedback, thank you. I've owned 5 beemers in the last few years and had issues with all of them. After the last one, a 325iT that had to have the headlights repaired 4 times in 3 years, I said it would be a loooong time before I'd buy another, yet here I am. Other options are an Acura TSX or maybe a Volvo S60R.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've owned my wifes 2000 528sport/auto for 9 years. It had 40k miles when we bought it as a CPO, it now has 180,000. I replaced the radiator, hoses, water pump at 100k, replaced a rear window regulator, replaced shocks, replaced a bushing on a rear control arm and that's about it, plus regular maintenance spark plugs, fluids, filters, etc.

Front main seal is leaking a bit and 2nd gear shutters sometimes, so i will have to replace transmission at sometime, but overall i do highly recommend it. My wife got a Bangle 530 once when she had the windshield replaced, the E39 felt much tighter, more sports car like than the camry-like, luxo oriented drive og the bangle car. Although, it didn't have a sports package so maybe that's not a fair comparo. Still, you can't go wrong with an e39 6 cylinder.

Same stuff applies as far as drive it to make sure you like it, then PPI and history.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 AM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 112 Posts

Coincidental timing.

I just bought a 2003 530i 2 weeks ago. I wanted a manual transmission car with the Sport Package, so it took some patience to find "the one".

I am working on baselining the maintenance as we speak and I'll say this: learning to safely lift a 911 with a floor jack and stands makes lifting any other car a breeze.

You'll need to add to your specialized tool collection to DIY this car - the oil filter needs a 36mm wrench and the rear diff drain and filler plugs are 14mm hex bits. I would invest in the Bentley manuals to bone up on technical details.

Car feels very solid and responsive in stock trim, although once one has fallen down the slippery slope with a p-car it is hard to leave well enough alone ... (i.e. upgrade suspension to reduce body roll, etc.)

Issues I am aware of are the radiator / cooling system and the dashboard and radio pixels going out. The gearbox coupling, rubber donut is a sometimes neglected maintenance item, too.

Best of luck with the hunt
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by prshguy
Good feedback, thank you. I've owned 5 beemers in the last few years and had issues with all of them. After the last one, a 325iT that had to have the headlights repaired 4 times in 3 years, I said it would be a loooong time before I'd buy another, yet here I am. Other options are an Acura TSX or maybe a Volvo S60R.
No worries. It all depends on the BMW you buy. The 6 cyl E39s are some of the most reliable. So are the old E30 cars (see my sig). I wouldn't go near the more recent cars - plus they're all really ugly

I know a guy in the east bay who is selling a clean one for $10K. It has 94K miles and is a sport package car. He's actually a Porsche tech at Livermore Porsche. Let me know if you'd like his contact info.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading the above comments, it sounds like a 99 528i shares about the same issues, right? My brother is looking at one.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
I wouldn't go near the more recent cars - plus they're all really ugly
Cheers,
Joe
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... or something like that;

Old 08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
JM993
Banned

Sorry Chuck. JMO......
Old 08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I had a 97 528 that I bought with 30k, sold with 130k. Put my own sport suspension on it but would recommend getting one with the sport pkg (includes nicer wheel and black window trim). I would get a 530i sport in a flash.

Oh, and I have an 08 550 Sport and it's NOT UGLY! (But it took me 5 model years, an aerokit, and a facelift to get me there)
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the new ones

that said maintenance on the previous generation 5 series above 60k miles is always what gets me.

Ive had to bail out on both a 540 and an X5 that I really liked and were in good condition. if you are doing the work yourself then its probably not bad but I dont have the time.....

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?