Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Sorry Chuck. JMO......
You are not alone. I like the current 3 series, but the 5 -- ugg -- and don't get me started on the 7......
Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go drive an E46 or later M3. As close to the perfect car as you can get. I prefer the smaller size than the 5.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmarch
No worries. It all depends on the BMW you buy. The 6 cyl E39s are some of the most reliable. So are the old E30 cars (see my sig). I wouldn't go near the more recent cars - plus they're all really ugly

I know a guy in the east bay who is selling a clean one for $10K. It has 94K miles and is a sport package car. He's actually a Porsche tech at Livermore Porsche. Let me know if you'd like his contact info.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks for the offer, the sport package sounds good but would like to find one with lower miles if possible.

As far as maintenance goes I can do probably all the light to semi-serious stuff but lately it has become less a labor of love and more a chore. Unless it's on the 993.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM
payam972
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want a 540...i have a black sport one for sale. 2001 black/black sport pkg. fully loaded. 88k sellin it for 8900. let me know
Old 08-13-2009, 11:32 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts

I love the pre-Bangle cars, especially the e39's. The 530 is a great car. It feels solid and gets good mileage, and the 6 cylinder is a proven item. Classic BMW body yet still looks modern in many ways. I'd go for it.

My M5 on the other hand only gets 15 mpg and about 10 mpg at the track. Mine is a DD. I have winter rims with Dunlop Wintersports so snow is not an issue either.

Actually, at some point when it's time for another DD, I'll probably get another
e39.

This one is a 2003.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-24-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
Thanks for the offer, the sport package sounds good but would like to find one with lower miles if possible.

As far as maintenance goes I can do probably all the light to semi-serious stuff but lately it has become less a labor of love and more a chore. Unless it's on the 993.
I am going to make an unpopular recommendation but it sounds like you are like me and maintenance is now a PIA.. I would say go japanese. I know I know, I love my german cars just like the next 993 owner (on my 3rd 911) but, for a DD I cant deal with any electrical gremlins, CELs etc..

I have a lexus GS460 I drive everyday and its great, 22k on the clock been to the dealer 3 times for oil changes and thats it. 340hp V8, gets decent mileage, every option comfortable and surprisingly fun to drive. The one before it I had bought it at 30k mi, sold it at 60k mi not one single issue with either one. I would look at Acura or lexus if reliability is a big issue.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife replaced her 993 Cab last year with a CPO '05 530i ... before I put my nomex on we have twins on the way thus the need for a 4-door.

Anyway is has been a great car ... we get 32 MPG on long trips ... very comfortable and SOLID. Originally I did not like the styling on the E60 but it has grown on me and I really like it now.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
I love the pre-Bangle cars, especially the e39's. The 530 is a great car. It feels solid and gets good mileage, and the 6 cylinder is a proven item. Classic BMW body yet still looks modern in many ways. I'd go for it.

My M5 on the other hand only gets 15 mpg and about 10 mpg at the track. Mine is a DD. I have winter rims with Dunlop Wintersports so snow is not an issue either.

Actually, at some point when it's time for another DD, I'll probably get another
e39.

This one is a 2003.
What a coincidence, I'm currently looking for one of these to replace my old E30- preferably in LeMans Blue. Frankly, I'm surprised how much I like the way the E39 M5 drives. The steering (in sport mode) is actually pretty decent. And of course the engine is an absolute gem.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by payam972
if you want a 540...i have a black sport one for sale. 2001 black/black sport pkg. fully loaded. 88k sellin it for 8900. let me know
Thanks for the offer, but want to stay with the 6 cyl, good price though, sounds like a nice car.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by cohare
I am going to make an unpopular recommendation but it sounds like you are like me and maintenance is now a PIA.. I would say go japanese. I know I know, I love my german cars just like the next 993 owner (on my 3rd 911) but, for a DD I cant deal with any electrical gremlins, CELs etc..

I have a lexus GS460 I drive everyday and its great, 22k on the clock been to the dealer 3 times for oil changes and thats it. 340hp V8, gets decent mileage, every option comfortable and surprisingly fun to drive. The one before it I had bought it at 30k mi, sold it at 60k mi not one single issue with either one. I would look at Acura or lexus if reliability is a big issue.
These are really good points and in a way go to the heart of my dilemma. About 4 years ago I had a Lexus GS400 for about 6 months and found it sorta dull. A nice car but not very responsive, in the end it seemed just a means of getting from A to B. No real enjoyment driving. Hence the consideration of the BMW again. The Acura TSX is on my short list and it has the drop down rear seat to give it some useful practicality, haven't driven one yet though. If the right color combo came up I would give it some serious thought.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 259 Posts

I have a '97 540i (wife's old car) and it's been nothing but a headache, with me replacing all 4 window motors ($500 each) and the radiator twice! It's a great drive but reliability sucks.

So bad, that I was forced to buy my wife a new car because I travel a lot and she lost faith in the Beemer. We bought a Lexus RX350 and we never looked back.

My '97 Black on Black, with 110k miles is available. I can't imagine getting squat for this car, so I'm keeping it for days I don't feel like driving the 993. If anyone is interested for a sweet deal, let me know...

In general, it sounds like german cars really are not the great in the reliability (and resale) area. I hear Audi's depreciate like an asteroid! What a shame.

I agree, gotta go Japanese for reliability and overall no-headache approach.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Way too many generalizations.

I'll stay away from any Japanese German car debate. That would hi jack the thread; not the intent. But I would be careful in thinking buying a Japanese car will free anyone of maintenance issues. Otherwise all their service techs would just be sitting around reading newspapers. They always seem pretty busy to me (especially at the Nissan dealerships). I've had very few problems with my M5 despite what I hear about e39's. There is a point of dimishing return for owning a BMW, but I haven't reached the point yet where I feel I have to compromise. (IMO)

I just recently got rid of my wife's Japanese SUV (after 2 failed transmissions and an engine that burned oil) and bought an X3. All German car garage right now.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

These are really good points and in a way go to the heart of my dilemma. About 4 years ago I had a Lexus GS400 for about 6 months and found it sorta dull. A nice car but not very responsive, in the end it seemed just a means of getting from A to B. No real enjoyment driving. Hence the consideration of the BMW again. The Acura TSX is on my short list and it has the drop down rear seat to give it some useful practicality, haven't driven one yet though. If the right color combo came up I would give it some serious thought.
My 2 cents. I owned the E34 1994, E39 1997 and last E60 2007 530 sport with SMG!. You can't go wrong with the E60, solid. No problems on mine whatsoever.
It is one of the best driving sedans for going for the long haul or back and forth to work. It locks out the road noise and it handles well. Just be sure you get the latest run flats or replace them with normal tires.
If you need snows with wheels for it, I have a set since I traded the car in two months ago.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The GS has come a long way from the older 400's, mine has an 8speed, electronic dampers that stiffen it up a lot with the push of a button, V8, actually pretty fast pretty fun to drive.

If you want responsive and you like the TSX I STRONGLY urge you to check out a used IS350. I had an 06 before the GS. I absolutely loved it. I would have never traded it but, I wanted something slightly bigger. My ex GF had a TSX while very nice IMO the IS blows it away in pretty much every category.. 306hp V6 is faster than my V8 GS, handled great, RWD, interior is nicer, paddle shifters (still and auto but hey) cooled seats, etc. Only thing in my view that was sightly better on the TSX was that you could type on the nav while driving and you can get it in a stick. My auto 350 would smoke any 6speed tsx (or TL or GS) in the corners and in a strait line..
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '03 530/manual/sport package as my DD (my wife usually has it). 80k and it runs like a top. Wheel finish has deteriorated significantly...probably from the damage done when we lived in NY.

I had a 3 series before this and it was much more toss-able, quicker, more fun to drive. The 2 cars are really different. The 5 is a "tourer" and the 3 a "drivers car". The 3 had about 50 fewer hp, but much lighter. I do like the added carrying capacity of the 5 and I personally like the stying better than the newer 5's.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?