Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 439 Posts

I think a E39 530i would be a wonderful choice of car. Just get a PPI and shop it carefully and you should be very happy with it. We LOVE our BMW 740i (2001) and consider it "my last car" as BMW hasn't made one since I got this one that I like better (except the many I can't afford like a newish M5, even a 2003 M5, a Z8, etc etc)

Be SURE to check out bimmerboard.com, the E39 forum and live on there for a day or two and ask some questions to the experts.

Good luck,
Steve R
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oleg steciw
I have a '97 540i (wife's old car) and it's been nothing but a headache, with me replacing all 4 window motors ($500 each) and the radiator twice! It's a great drive but reliability sucks.

So bad, that I was forced to buy my wife a new car because I travel a lot and she lost faith in the Beemer. We bought a Lexus RX350 and we never looked back.

My '97 Black on Black, with 110k miles is available. I can't imagine getting squat for this car, so I'm keeping it for days I don't feel like driving the 993. If anyone is interested for a sweet deal, let me know...

In general, it sounds like german cars really are not the great in the reliability (and resale) area. I hear Audi's depreciate like an asteroid! What a shame.

I agree, gotta go Japanese for reliability and overall no-headache approach.
A lot of that is "first year of that model" effect. I have a 99 540i 6-speed and it's a lot more reliable than you describe. I've had it for ten years, and it's been very reliable and surprisingly inexpensive to run. It does have issues (radiator being one that wasn't fixed well) but I would encourage anyone to consider an E39. To me, they look great; like the 993, most people don't believe me when they hear hol old the car is.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:35 AM
stacksmasher
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 530i

Hi, I don't post on the board very much but I am a 530 owner so I thought I would put in my 2¢

I grew up very poor and always had really crappy cars. I had to do all my repairs myself because I could not afford to take them in for service. I also grew up in Detroit and had a ton of exposure to automobiles. I met an old farmer who drove a 82 or 83 BMW 520i and told me it was a true work of engineering genius and showed me how German cars are different than American, I was sold. From that point on I had a dream for 2 cars 1. BMW 530i Black on Black 2. A Porsche 911.

The first thing I did when I finished college was buy a 2001 BMW 530i. I got a Black on Back with 20k, it now has 144k and It has never left me stranded EVER. The car is still rock solid and I would and have driven it from coast to coast with my family.

The car is a true legend.
I feel honored to of ever had the chance to own one.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new DD, thoughts on a 530i?