Sponsored by:

Oil cooler blower under driver fender will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Police State
I changed the relays over today, R04, R24, and this time no Oil Cooler Fan came on, but a fan came on in the engine bay (left side) which was sucking air into a black box with a grille on it. so, has the swapped (faulty) relay made that fan behave like the 'oil cooler fan' in that if the relay is faulty, the fan kicks in?

On my panel, the front fender fan relays are R04 and R14, in adjacent slots to the front right of the panel as one faces it ..... R24 is for panel lights, and is to the center left of R14: regardless, the relays in question are actually double relays within a tall case, and marked p/n 811 951 253.
The sets of contacts that control power to the fans are 30 (30c) to 87 (87c) .... and these must both be normally open. Measure resistance or continuity over both sets (eg. 30 to 87 and 30c to 87c), and if you find anything less than infinite resistance, a set of contacts is welded together = scrap relay.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Police State
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

well I thought that I should give you an update on my 'Oil Cooler Fan' problem. I too the car to a reputable indy shop, and they gave me the bad news that my A/C cooler climate control box was faulty and it would need replacing. Apparently it threw errors right across its various control systems. Which is real bad news because a replacment will cost in the region of $1100! unless anyone here has a better idea?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, confirm that it is actually the problem buy swapping with a known good unit if you can.
Is there another 993 around you can swap with?
Or is the shop willing to pull the part back out if it is not the problem?

That is not a common failure...

Another alternative is to get a used unit.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Police State
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MarkD
yes, confirm that it is actually the problem buy swapping with a known good unit if you can.
Is there another 993 around you can swap with?
Or is the shop willing to pull the part back out if it is not the problem?

That is not a common failure...

Another alternative is to get a used unit.
unfortunately I don't know any other 993 owners that could help by swapping. I think the shop would pull it out if that was not the problem, but that is assuming I buy the unit from them at $/£1100 (i'm in the UK), but if I bought the part from a breaker, and it turns out that's not the fault, then I'm really screwed... Does anyone know if they can be repaired, and where?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unfortunately I don't know any other 993 owners that could help by swapping. I think the shop would pull it out if that was not the problem, but that is assuming I buy the unit from them at $/£1100 (i'm in the UK), but if I bought the part from a breaker, and it turns out that's not the fault, then I'm really screwed... Does anyone know if they can be repaired, and where?
In the US most often electrical items are non-returnable.
Good luck sir
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

In my opinion, most A/C faults in the 964/993 are caused by faulty sensors and actuators, not by the Climate Control Unit (CCU) itself. I've seen a lot of Porsche service shops concluding in a defective CCU, but this is really the easy way for them for fault finding, but certainly not the cheapest!
The CCU is repairable, but it is a fairly complicated device with microcontrollers and stuff so the easiest way is really to test-swap it as already mentioned. Also, a repair would have to dig into what really is happening in your car.
Regards,
Tore
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in the UK are you?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Police State
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Uber 911
Where in the UK are you?
I'm in London (or anywhere in the South East)
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in London (or anywhere in the South East)
Try John at Tower Porsche http://www.towerporsche.com/sales.php, the shop looks a bit rough and ready, but John knows 911's real well. He could swap out the CCU with another

Quick Reply: Oil cooler blower under driver fender will not turn off