Sponsored by:

A few specific oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few specific oil change questions

So, I'm getting ready for my first oil change. I've read about a million previous posts on oil changes. I've gathered the filters, oil filter wrench and all other needed tools. A few questions arose that I did not find answers to using the search function. Hope some of the more experienced DIYers can help.

1) What is the consensus on the appropriate Mobil 1 oil grade for cars being driven in the northeast? Mine is a 96 TT if that matters.

2) Also, how important is it to have the car level? Do you guys get the car on 4stands or just jack up the rear?

3) Finally, I've read that the oil needs to be drained immediately after the car is parked and while hot. I understand it has something to do with draining the oil from the large oil tank, but don't understand why or how that works.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
MDamen
Pro

1) I use 0W40 in my 993. Don't know about the turbo.
2) Ijust jack up the rear. I haven't noticed any issues.
3) There is an oil thermostat but I'm not sure if it would restrict draining of the oil. I just figured it flows better when hot. I prefer it to be warm so you don't have the risk of scalding yourself.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1- Oil choice borders on a religious debate... In my turbo I am using M1 15W50 turbo diesel and truck. It has more of the additives that have been reduced in the current M1 formulation. 15-50 is good for summer use in your area.

2- I would prefer it level but have not measured a difference in drainage. I supsect it may matter if you are removing the hard line to drain it but probably not much

3- Warm is good just because warm oil flows better and you will drain more. T-stat will not be open, that is the nature of these beasts.

Lastly, be sure to use a Porsche oil filter (short filter) NOT Mahle. On the turbo cars you can have issues with the Mahle filter. Search the 993 turbo forum for much more than you ever wanted to knwo on this issue.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:38 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkD
1- Oil choice borders on a religious debate... In my turbo I am using M1 15W50 turbo diesel and truck. It has more of the additives that have been reduced in the current M1 formulation. 15-50 is good for summer use in your area.

2- I would prefer it level but have not measured a difference in drainage. I supsect it may matter if you are removing the hard line to drain it but probably not much

3- Warm is good just because warm oil flows better and you will drain more. T-stat will not be open, that is the nature of these beasts.

Lastly, be sure to use a Porsche oil filter (short filter) NOT Mahle. On the turbo cars you can have issues with the Mahle filter. Search the 993 turbo forum for much more than you ever wanted to knwo on this issue.
Thanks MarkD
I'm glad to hear not much oil will remain with just the rear jacked up. I got Porsche filters from Sunset Porsche so that's covered as well. I don't quite understand what you mean by ---the thermostat will not be open, that is the nature of these beasts. Could you elaborate?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by need a 993
Thanks MarkD
I'm glad to hear not much oil will remain with just the rear jacked up. I got Porsche filters from Sunset Porsche so that's covered as well. I don't quite understand what you mean by ---the thermostat will not be open, that is the nature of these beasts. Could you elaborate?
sure!
The oil has to be above approx 180F for the t-stat to stay open. When you drain the oil you will not be draining the oil cooler and lines. The temp will drop and the t-stat will close.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I won't comment on (1) but I'll say don't worry about (2) and (3), they're irrelevant.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkD
sure!
The oil has to be above approx 180F for the t-stat to stay open. When you drain the oil you will not be draining the oil cooler and lines. The temp will drop and the t-stat will close.
MarkD
I see. But what if you simply drained the oil as soon as you turned off the car? You keep everything ready and simply open the t-stat drain plug as soon as you turn off the car. Wouldn't that work?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you park the car hot and let it sit, oil will collect in the lower points and will drain out when you remove the drain plugs. Don't forget that several liters will remain in the cooler and lines, so another few oz drained from the sump is insignificant.

Besides. getting under there when it is hot would be unnecessary torture. Think of where the little oil filter is located !

I do my own oil changes, but my local shops drain oil after the car cools off.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that the system capacity is 12 litres dry, and since I usually use 10 with both filters, tank, sump and oil feed line drain, I would say 2 litres continue in the system.

I drain it reasonably hot at times (when someone comes in and goes directly on the lift) but prefer it warm. You are not going to get at the oil in the lines to the cooler and the cooler anyways, so its just to promote flow.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

My preference is to have the vehicle level on four jackstands. I think it's safer and easier to work on, especially getting at the smaller inboard filter. Oh, BTW, there's no rush to get to the engine case drain plug and inboard filter, just to the oil tank drain plug. That's the one with the thermostat. Once on jackstands, just remove the small access plate to get at the drain plug. Have a BIG oil drain pan ready for a bunch of HOT oil!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
need a 993
Instructor

OP here,

So the car is up on jack stands, both filters have been removed and replaced, the oil drained from both plugs and also from the turbochargers. New washers placed at all drain sites. Did not need to or want to remove the oil return line.

The only thing left is to refill the oil. I bought M1 15-50 and would just like to know this is one of the accepted choices for the TT before I refill.

Thanks to all those who have helped in my first 993 oil change. I plan to post soon on some additional advice based on my 1st time experience for others considering their first oil change.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, 15w50 is actually what I prefer, especially for the turbo cars.

Quick Reply: A few specific oil change questions