Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Stolen from Glendale, CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to hear this. In all honesty, it is probably better not to see it again. Time to start shopping for that 993TT.....
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Next time buy a 996 and no one will want to steal it
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I know how you feel. My Turbo was stolen out of my garage while i was at work. The cops found it a mile away in an apartment complex within 10 minutes because I had Lo Jack. There wasnt any damage except they kept my key and all the stuff they stole out of my house.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car. Definitely not a good feeling. Maybe your GF or Best Friend is doing a "Overhaulin" trick on you. That would be cool if it were true.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Redblurr
Racer

That bites!!! There is no other feeling like the one you get after being ripped off. GL with the insurance company. If you have any friends in the insurance game, you may want to pick there brains.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with insurance. Looks like my mods won't be covered. Which gives me a minor heart attack with how much that is. I have 7-14 days to have it taken care of, if the car isn't found it's considered gone. She said the 7-14 days can be even less and at this point the car is considered gone.

To top this off, my friend who lives like 6 blocks away had someone pounding on his door telling him someone was trying to steal his car (A new Audi A4) around 10am this morning. And the guy just took off after saying it. The police over there mentioned car crimes are pretty huge right now in this area.

I live in the foothill near some celebrities and stuff. So I dunno what to make of this.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear, hope everything works out for the best in the end.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Get your paper work together for all your mods to your Porsche. You should of had ( mods ) noted on your policy during your last years renewal process. You don't need to take their first offer. Do your homework during this wait periord get all the data, same car mileage condition, make a list avg price and condition drop off the highest and lowest price cars for a true picture of the current market values. Be ready and fair in your dealings with your insurance company. ( what company are you dealing with? )......
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
travanx
Pro

Mercury Insurance. Claims on accidents when others hit me in my other car were fair and quick through Mercury. I have had the wheels since December '08, and suspension and sound system were sometime in August '08. I have only had the car for about 1 year 2 months. Thanks for the suggestions, I should get all that stuff together whether they cover it or not. I am already prepared to take a major loss on this.

If anyone else has anything to chime in on anything positive I can do that would be great.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

I am sorry to hear this...I had my 89 targa "towed" away and it still pisses me off after 5 years.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

These days, when insurance companies are facing a total loss on an auto policy, they contract the valuation out to a third-party company. I haven't heard of any major company that does this in-house anymore. Most of these valuation companies look at 'Blue Book'-type input, but also prevailing market values (selling prices). In SoCal that should be easy, in other markets they often have to look far afield. Advice above is correct, gather every receipt for every mod and also every bit of repair and maintenance. Do your own research on local market values. The first number they come up with is a starting point.

At least it isn't Geico, they are notoriously unreasonable in my experience. Frickin' gecko
Old 07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear this, I've had a car stolen, striped and recovered. Sucks to say the least. Back in the late 80's watercooled VWs could be stolen with a flat-blade screwdriver, an adjustable wrench and a penny :-(

What I remember from my experience and that of my friends at the time who had their VW's stolen was to constantly call the police dept. to check on its recovery or not. At the time (might be different now), if you didn't call at least twice a day yourself, you got an automated call from a machine telling you your car was recovered and waiting for you at a towing company's lot. The problem in waiting for the automated "robot" call was there could be a 5-6 day delay between when the car was recovered and the phone call. You then went to the tow yard and were presented with a $500 dollar per day storage fee from the towing company, sweet. I actually had a buddy just sign over the pink slip to what was left of his Jetta instead of paying the storage fee.

I have Mercury Insurance as well, and when I totalled a car a few years back they were pretty fair actually. I was super agressive and pro-active with them though. I sought out the actual office of the women handling my claim and I paid her an unexpected visit with pictures of my car and just basically made it sound like it was one of the best kept, rarest, one-of-a-kind cars in the world.

She didn't give me any credit for mods, but she did find the two most expensive like cars on Autotrader in the state and offered me the average between the two. I immediately balked at that, she put me on hold for 2 minutes and came back with an additional $500, as well as, a warning that if I didn't take her offer I was crazy and that I would have to go through some big arbitration process, etc. I think I actually ended up better off than had I tried to sell the car outright before the accident.

Good luck. I hope you never see it agian and get a fair settlement.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Agreed that Geico Sucks for Porsche Coverage & Claims

I agree fully with the previous post about Geico and claims on Porsches. Recently observed their behavior on a 40K mile, silver/black 993 coupe total loss. Initial offer from Geico was $22K and after weeks of negotiating (by an attorney) they settled at $38.5K. Then they sold the wreck at a salvage auction for $18K - amazing what people pay for these cars. The reptile is a fitting spokesperson for such a insurance company. If you own a Porsche, you should be thoughtful and thorough about your insurance company and coverage.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Man my heart sank when I read the title. I was hoping it wasn't your 993.

If it comes down to the insurance paying you off, they should cover any recent maintenance items that you have receipts for. At least my insurance (AAA) did when I totaled my M3. This might be a way for you to get reimbursed for your mods. Instead of saying they were modifications, you can claim your mods were in fact replacements for faulty parts (i.e. maintenance).

In any case, good luck!!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Wow, I'm really very sorry to hear it. It's a drag when it happens and it's not just the monetary loss and headaches, but the feeling that somebody took your property from you. It's a real violation.

I'm in the process of switching over to Leland West for an agreed upon value. It's a bit of a pain as you need pics of the car, pics your garage, proof of a daily driver, copies of the receipts of all the mods, etc..

But I don't feel too comfortable with conventional insurance. And hearing this just adds to that uneasiness.

I hope it all works okay for you in the end.

Quick Reply: Car Stolen from Glendale, CA