What is the 993 like to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the 993 like to drive?

Just some general interest from a youngster here

What is the 993 (any of the models in the lineup) physically like to drive? I'm talking more in comparison to modern vehicles which as we know have greater performance capabilities for less money. Does the 993 still possess reasonable performance figures that blow you away? Where does the enjoyment stem from exactly?

Forgive my rambling! Hope you can shed some light and possibly describe the enjoyment you get out of driving your favourite Porsche.

Regards,

Seb
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 AM
lumpy
Racer

I have driven a 993TT for the last several years and continue to do so. Performance wise...outside of current hyper exotics focused on the track (ariel, nobel or lotus etc...) my old girl keeps up and is still challenged often. My enjoyment stems from the looks, smells, traditional gauges and the wide a**. I believe 400+ hp stock in capable hands is more than enough...heck, I've been passed by n/a guys that are better drivers. I don't know which modern vehicles you want to compare a 993 to. Please be more specific.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a little like trying to describe how something tastes or sounds. You should probably just test-drive a 993.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a pretty nimble ride - inside, the scale is such that it feels like you're wearing the car rather than sitting in it - it's like an extension to your nervous system, that's how good the feedback is. Plenty of acceleration, so long as you don't race someone with a big block engine from a stop light. (I still "win" when I do that sort of thing, though. Not that I'm advocating it.) Great outward visibility over a 350z, say, and probably over many others as well. Superb handling, especially with a suspension upgrade, such that while other vehicles lumber and careen through turns, you'll be fast and tight through them. And while other beasts start coasting and slowing down a mile before a stop sign, you'll drop the anchor at the last second and still make it look graceful.

Drive one and see if the epiphany strikes you, too.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Thanks for the responses so far. However I must point out that a test drive is a bit out of reach for me considering I've only been driving for 3 and a bit years. Due to my young age and little income there's little chance I'd get to drive one until I have the money! I just wanted an idea to wet my appetite haha.

Thanks, keep them coming.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are responsible and go to places where enthusiats gather, there is a high probablility you could try one out. Check out your local PCA chapter - www.pca.org
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Originally Posted by bart1
If you are responsible and go to places where enthusiats gather, there is a high probablility you could try one out. Check out your local PCA chapter - www.pca.org
Alas, I live in Australia!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Autarky
There is something that the 993 has that just captivates you. From stuff that I have read, and including myself, after you test drive one - you usually end up getting one. For me its the look of the car - every time I park it I just have to give it a second glance over - just like you do when a hot chick walks by. It the curves on the 911. Also the noise the engine makes. The handling. The build quality. The twang you get when you close the doors. Having the engine in the back, and no engine at the front. All the quirky little things. The classic retro dash layout.

It's not a perfect car - but it's a true classic - and tugs on a lot of heart strings. I would say that the thing feels raw when you drive it, as compared to other modern cars I've driven - Cayman S with PDK, 997 C2s, BMW 335i, BMW Z4 sdrive35i. The 993 is plenty fast - it'll get over taken by a lot of the new stuff - but will keep up with some of the modern stuff as well. All the above cars are nice to drive, very modern, comfortable, and refined. But non of them give me the joy or cast a spell over me like the 993 does.

Regards
Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Autarky
Alas, I live in Australia!
So...

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/p...2570E40064197F

As you can see, there are RLers there, too.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

There are so many attributes to the 993 that make it such a great car. In fact, I got rid of an '05 Carerra, found my way back to 993 ownership, and couldn't be happier.

Other comments here describe the car well and I would point out that visibility out of the windows is the best I've ever experienced. We just bought an '09 328xi and the car has so many blind spots and massive B and C pillars that it makes seeing other traffic difficult. Although the 328 feels just as fast as my 993, the Porsche's driving experience makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a very 'perfect' feeling blend of the older 911 and the newer ones. I had an '02 996 C4S. Roomier inside, a tiny bit heavier but about 35 more HP than mine, it was very competent and fun to drive on a track. Not as much on the street. I also had a '83 911SC. Much more raw, less 'cushy' inside, less power but a blast to drive both on the street and on the track. To me my '95 993 (once I get PSS10s and better swaybars on it, and a chip) will feel perfect. Yes I know there are far faster more powerful cars, more targeted track beasts, but this is mostly a daily driver with a couple track outings per year at most. It is the most beautiful 911 style that Porsche will EVER design. Sure I'd like a 997 GT3RS but I'll never be able to afford it, I'd like a 2.7 RS but will never be able to justify (or afford it).
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
It's a pretty nimble ride - inside, the scale is such that it feels like you're wearing the car rather than sitting in it - it's like an extension to your nervous system, that's how good the feedback is. Plenty of acceleration, so long as you don't race someone with a big block engine from a stop light. (I still "win" when I do that sort of thing, though. Not that I'm advocating it.) Great outward visibility over a 350z, say, and probably over many others as well. Superb handling, especially with a suspension upgrade, such that while other vehicles lumber and careen through turns, you'll be fast and tight through them. And while other beasts start coasting and slowing down a mile before a stop sign, you'll drop the anchor at the last second and still make it look graceful.

Drive one and see if the epiphany strikes you, too.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. You won't confuse the power/straight-line speed of a n/a 993 with that of a new 997 S, but I find that the car is plenty quick and feels like more of a go-cart. Only problem is my 4 and 5 year old are starting to "discuss" who will get the car...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Autarky
Is this you on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
Except - take the 997 out and put in a 993.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Putting an aura into words is extremely difficult. We'd probably need Ernest Hemingway to do it justice. Just to sit in a 911/993 is like no other vehicle. It's so "cockpitty" as my wife describes it. The dash is like a glareshield in a small, private airplane. The instruments and their location haven't changed much in over 50 years because they got it right the first time. The e46M3 I previously owned was fast and responsive but it had no soul. A 993 has personality, panache and is true to its roots. It's the perfect blend of tradition, technology, styling and sophistication.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 'benchmark' for us old guys (like me) was the 1960's muscle cars. I remember those cars to feel fast at the time. Most of them in stock form hit 0-60 in 6 seconds or so. Quarter mile in 14 seconds or so.
Normally aspirated 993 beats those numbers.
chuck

Quick Reply: What is the 993 like to drive?