Take a look at these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFO3UNc064

http://www.vimeo.com/3839933

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X01VFtUi-k
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche 993 is built according to the old school. They have a special sound when you close the doors, not unlike an old Mercedes. The interior is largely the same since the 911 was introduced in the 60s.

993tt is a devastating fast car even compared to modern competitors. The road runs out before the car stops accelerating, figuratively speaking.

It conveys a raw feeling that few other cars do today.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 993TT is probably the best of it all. You get all those intangible things we like about the 993 but with some really decent grunt. I find the NA 993 to be a little bit lacking power-wise.

But that said, the 993 is something I personally don't think I could drive daily or on a long trip. It would just get to me after a while. I can drive it for a full day or more quite easily but only if I'm out on open road (very little traffic) or up in the canyons. I would prefer a 997 if it was to be my only car.

I have an AMG as my daily and I think having it combined with the 993 is the best of both worlds. A comfortable autobahn style muscle car for the daily grind and long trips, and the 993 for times when I just want to concentrate on driving and be able to enjoy the car for what it is.

Call me lazy, stupid or whatever, but I couldn't live with just the 993. Especially in LA. Maybe if I lived out in Nevada or somewhere less dense, but not around here.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It all depends on what you are used to.

I (actually my wife) had a 68 912, then I got a 911SC, then the 993. so the power progressed with each car, as did the civility. The older cars retain more of a raw feel.
It is interesting, as I consider the 993 as pretty refined, but my frame of reference is coming from an SC. A little while ago, there was a thread on the 997 vs the 993, where 997 owners felt the 993 was more "raw"

The only way to gain true insight is to drive them yourself.

Personally, I don't think the 993 is by any means a supercar anymore in terms of pure performance vs modern cars, but it is a fun car to drive. There are also a huge range of 993s to consider from a USA Carrera with M033 suspension, to an RS to the almighty TT. You will be able to feel the similarities, but also the differences.

Does my 993 C2 blow me away? No, not in the sense that it is extremely fast, but it handles reasonably well (I don't have it set up for track, like I had my SC set up) but it is comfortable, I could take it on a 5 hours drive with no problem. AC works (didn't on the SC, and the 912 didn't have AC) and my wife will ride in it, and or drive it. After I had the suspension done on the SC, she didn't like riding in it anymore.

Last edited by Kika; 06-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

"What is the 993 like to drive?"

One word - heaven

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. Buller? Buller? Buller?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

sorry - can't help you, mine is now a piece of art (big ****), as I rarely drive it..but the look at the rear (is rare) and so worth it...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM
mbackhand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As everyone else said it is simply AMAZING.
Mine is supposed to be a "weekend" car but it has been so nice lately that it is quickly becoming a daily driver.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Autarky
Thanks for the responses so far. However I must point out that a test drive is a bit out of reach for me considering I've only been driving for 3 and a bit years. Due to my young age and little income there's little chance I'd get to drive one until I have the money! I just wanted an idea to wet my appetite haha.

Thanks, keep them coming.
Got my first one when I was 18, and it was newer relative to its production than my C4S is now! As I enter my 30th year of 911 ownership in a few weeks, I can absolutely say getting a 911 shaped how my whole life turned out.

Speaking of the 993, I enjoy it as the final refinement of the original design. Not to say the factory couldn't have further tweaked it. But I know they did what they had to do to economize building a 996 and the Boxster in tandem to survive. None of the post-993's do a thing for me, though. There's only so fast you can realistically drive on the street. On the track, pretty much any 911 with a 10-1 weight-hp ratio and reasonably wide tires with good brakes is entertaining enough to stay ahead of 95% of non-dedicated race cars. (And I've always got my other ride when I just want fast and high g loads.)

So ultimately I get that you might not be able to afford a 993, or any 911, at your present position. I understand all cars, let alone exotics, are horribly expensive pretty much anywhere than here in the US. Thank your government for that.......... But in closing, I'll say that one of the most talented guys I've ever met is a Kiwi who ended up working in Australia for Porsche teams before giving it a go over here running Racer's Group--Dave Taylor. He's back home somewhere still in the racing game, and if you can find him he might be a great resource to get in at some level!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool 993 is Saweeeeeeeeeet!

I love it! I drive it every chance I can. It is very fast baby!
I get compliments on almost every outing and I've been told many times that they think it is a new 911 and are amazed when I tell them it is a MY 1995!

The 993 series 911 (MY 1995 - 1998) was the last of the air cooled 911's. IMHO, the sexiest of the 911's (very nice **** ). It was actually less expensive to build than the 964 series 911 (1989 to 1994).

I hope this adds to the many comments already shared on this thread.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Autarky,
+1 on what everyone else says. You look over your shoulder every time you walk away from the car, even after 2 years of ownership for me. You don't look because you are worried about who's parked next to you (checked that out before choosing a parking location), but you look back because what you see there excites you, gives you a pleasant feeling, just like when you look upon the face of someone you love. There's an element of lust there, but its much more substantial than that...

A 993 is pretty far up the Porsche food chain to start...not cheap to buy nor maintain in reality. But many of us didn't start there...my first Pcar was a $4k 1976 914. Despite its detractors, it was a Pcar start for me and I still love to see a 914 on the road!

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Autarky
Is this you on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
Except - take the 997 out and put in a 993.
This commercial is most all of us here....whether we were 9, 19 or 59 when our epiphany occurred!

This might also sum up the Porsche 993 experience better than any of us can write....
porsche are you listening
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I think others above summarized it as well as can be really. I am glad I went to a 993 from an 84 Targa. The earlier cars are more "raw", no power steering and you really have to drive the car. A lot of fun, but the 993 is a perfect mix of that rawness with more creature comforts (like AC that actually blows cold air).

Folks always ask me if it's really fast and honestly, it's not. It is however, faster and more capable than I ever plan to push it. I know there are many new, cheaper cars that will out accelerate it, but I didn't buy it for that, so I don't mind.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I
Folks always ask me if it's really fast and honestly, it's not.
+1. I can't believe I'm saying this but it's not always about power and acceleration. Having owned a 2002 996 3.6 which is a fair bit quicker, I found that the novelty of more power quickly wears off and leaves you wanting more.

Time marches on and there are LOTS of cars that will out accelerate a 993 (non TT that is) but few, if any, give the same pleasure when driving at substantially less than 10/10ths. That said, the 993 is anything but slow and has more than enough oomph to get you into SERIOUS trouble.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autarky
Are you listening? is our version, sorta. Time to drag is out again. "Make it so"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFO3UNc064
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Autarky
Instructor

Autarky
These videos I've watched and favourited countless times
They never get old! That Rennlist Hill Climb is great - some spirited driving through the twisties! Never gets old.

Great replies guys. Very inspiring. Good to hear I am in envy of you all haha. Don't take these classics for granted
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
targagr
Pro

Have my 993 targa for 11 years!!
Not my daily driver...
Bought it in canada in 1998 then brought it with me when i moved to europe then brought it back with me when i returned to canada! That should tell u something!!
I still get a "rise" everytime i get in it.
Its great to see peoples faces when u tell them its not the new model its a 1997.

Quick Reply: What is the 993 like to drive?