993 Forum 1995-1998

Help - My 993 left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - My 993 left me stranded

I would like to solicit some assistance from the Guru's out there to help me diagnose a problem. I was driving the car and it just died. I had to get towed. The car cranks but will not fire. Here is some history that I believe may be related.

1. I had a similar problem last year that when I had my car towed to the dealer that had to replce a DME relay.

2. A week ago my wife and I are out to dinner and a show in the car. The passenger side window switch broke.

3. Brought it to a client of mine that has a service station just to see if he could get the window up. He pulled the swtich out, fixed it and replaced a couple of blown fuses (which he suspects were related to the switch).

4. On the way home the car dies as I am driving it. I was able to coast into a parking lot. The would crank but not fire. I had it towed to a local guy who repairs Porsche and BMW. This is my first time dealing with the guy.

5. He calls the next day and informs me I need a new fuel pump. My gut told me it was an electrical problem of some sort either another DME issue or related to the windown blown fuses. He is the expert so I authorize the repair.

6. Drive it home park it for a few days. I take the car out yesterday and the car dies (same symptom).

I had the car towed back to this guy and now I am pissed. I believe I was sold a fuel pump that I did not need. Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
kb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try another DME relay first. Did you hear a noticeable high whine from the fuel pump before you replaced it? The whine and buzz is unmistakeable. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump wasn't the issue. Strange that your window did not go up and required replacement of not one but two fuses. Curious what else this guy replaced. Might not be related but I'd want to know what else was blown since it's typically the signal of an underlying issue (worn motor bearings, short, etc).

dave
Old 06-07-2009, 02:20 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm a total novice when to comes to car repair, but even I know to NEVER take your car to the dealership; that is unless you want to be overcharged for indifferent service. These cars really require a good relationship with a capable mechanic who is familiar with air-cooled Porsches.

But I guess you can see that now. Good luck with this.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I would also try another DME relay. The new relay I put in after getting the car died after just a week...sometimes you can go through these things like chicklets.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It certainly sounds like a DME relay.
Another possibility is that the DME is/was OK, but the DME relay socket/connections are not (could be mechanically deformed and/or damaged due to arcing/flashover)
I would suggest a quick visual inspection of the DME relay socket.

If you do not have the basic electrical equipment to diagnose a DME relay, another possibility (besides another known good DME relay) is to fabricate a jumper wire (which simulates the relay contacts).

IIRC, this has been discussed and documented on RL before.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm a total novice when to comes to car repair, but even I know to NEVER take your car to the dealership; that is unless you want to be overcharged for indifferent service..
Not necessarily true.
My local Porsche dealer has a mechanic who has decades of experience on almost every production Porsche (and even some race ones).

When I make an appointment, I always work around his schedule and will leave the car with him until he is happy with it.
Needless to say, the work and service have been exceptional for years.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Not necessarily true.
My local Porsche dealer has a mechanic who has decades of experience on almost every production Porsche (and even some race ones).

When I make an appointment, I always work around his schedule and will leave the car with him until he is happy with it.
Needless to say, the work and service have been exceptional for years.
Fair enough. I noticed you didn't mention anything about the dealers' pricing being exceptionally fair

Needless to say, your experience is more the exception than the rule. Personally, I'd rather have Ray Charles work on my 993 than the asshats at, say, Beverly Hills Porsche...
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, the hourly rate was about 10% higher than most indy shops.
I probably am the exception to the rule, but I am a very happy exception to the rule.
end
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Thanks to all that have responded. Regarding going to the dealer last year at least when he fixed it, it lasted a year and he did not suggest I buy a fuel pump. The guy I brought to last week was a guy who "specializes" in fixing German autos so he had several Porsches he was working on and BMW's.

One other interesting tid bit it I failed to mention is when I brought the car in last week I told the guy I had a spare DME relay and that it what I thought the problem was. When he called me with the fuel pump diagnosis he said he recommended putting in the DME relay as well. He left me the old one as a spare. Not sure I understand that.

So my questions at this point are:

1. What causes someone to spring big $$$ for a new wiring harness - is it problems like this?

2. Who would be best equipped to deal with non mechcanical electrical failures or issues - an after market Porsche repair shop (not necessairly the one I brought it to they are others I have been very happy with)?

3. I really believe I did not need the fuel pump and I spent $400 + labor when I should not have. I am going to ask for the old part back and see if I can have it tested. I really hope this guy does the right thing tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what year is the car? If its a 95 has the wiring harness been replaced by Porsche?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have corrosion on the battery posts? Are the cables attached well and seated well? I had a similar problem and thought it was something big, but removing the battery cables and cleaning them and the battery well solved the problem. Also check the ground strap location on the frame for corrosion.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Chris - the car is a 1997 and I am not aware of any wiring harness replacement.

Mark - I will check the battery. If it was the battery I assume the car would not crank. It cranks over fine. I see you are in the Atlanta area. Please email me the name of the person who services your car if you are happy.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone in Atlanta needs to give Bill a respected independent shop referral.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm a total novice when to comes to car repair, but even I know to NEVER take your car to the dealership; that is unless you want to be overcharged for indifferent service. These cars really require a good relationship with a capable mechanic who is familiar with air-cooled Porsches.

But I guess you can see that now. Good luck with this.
Our local dealer has a couple of techs that are good with air cooled cars. The rates aren't that far out of line either.

Quick Reply: Help - My 993 left me stranded