Sponsored by:

993 logo watch

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 logo watch

This thread turned into something that I never intended and looks like it has the potential to deteriorate even further. My only interest was in having myself and others who would be interested get a 993 logoed watch. The movement by the way is from Japan and I am truly not aware of the country of manufacture. Just for the record, I can't stomach watching obama for longer than 2 minutes so the watch choice was purely a matter of personal taste. In the interest of full disclosure (a highly valued commodity in my business) I chose to reveal the very extremely remote connection to obama.

In reference to the conversation regarding China I decided to look again at the Nikon vibration reduction zoom telephoto lens for my wife's Nikon SLR to see if I remembered correctly. There it was: "Made in China".

As an astronomer I have had the opportunity to see first hand the quality of the optics they are producing. Having visited the country a number of times starting in the early 80's I have seen some astonishing changes. I hate much of what China the government is about but the people of China are quite a different thing.

Anyone actually interested in the watch can PM me. Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by skywachr; 06-05-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed, great looking watch, but Im surprised the secret service wears Chinese. First they build the watches and now they build hummers! The fact that Obama "capitalist killer" wears one is another reason Ill pass.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tony,
Nice idea. The association with the Secret Service is appealing, with Obama - not so much. The last two posts brought up concerns of manufacture in China. If this is true, I pass. On the other hand if it is manufactured elsewhere I am in.
Let me know,
Neil

What about a company right here in the U.S.?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
I was going to say yes if it came with a white face,black 993 but then I learned more about the Jorg Gray and I will not willingly and knowingly buy anything that's made in China despite its Japanese movement
I too do not willingly buy anything made in china. Nice to see another person with the same philosophy. Anything I purchase I always check the country of origin. If it's China, I put it down.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Who cares where it's made, no matter what you have, some part of it was made in Asia.

I noticed they have a couple of other cool watches, I like these also...

Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you fellas gonna make sure you know every article of clothing, footwear, electronics, etc that Obama wears to make sure you're not using the same? Important stuff!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They are pretty cool looking watches. I hate Obama as much as the next guy, * ***** **** *** *** ******* but I'd be in for a group buy. I'd like the "993" script in red. I will definately buy American over "from China" in a heartbeat, but I'm not seeing the American alternative here.

Note: Zealous political statement edited out (Bob R)

Last edited by Bob Rouleau; 06-08-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: removed insult to the President
Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in one of the 993 watches.

I believe that our world manufactures a lot of products and it is almost impossible to know where any component or piece of any finished product is manufactured.

This thread is asking you if you would be interested in a group buy of a 993 watch...not your politics or your opinions about what is made where.

I would also be interested in the size of the watch...length, width, thickness etc. and what the band is made of.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhhh am I missing something or do most of us drive foreign cars? You think they don't have parts made in China? It's a global economy now and sticking your head in the sand won't change that. Sorry.

Now about that watch..... I like it but will pass. The last thing I need is a new watch but that's just me. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,137 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by jhubs
This thread is asking you if you would be interested in a group buy of a 993 watch...not your politics or your opinions about what is made where.
Thanks for reminding everyone to stay on topic.

Originally Posted by jhubs
Thanks!
I second that too. Thanks for your effort...great suggestion. I'm interested.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

You had my interest until the fourth sentence.

Andreas
Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

no thanks... no Chinese watches for me
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
sp250
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested. Don't care where it's made.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I can accept that we are in global economy but I think all you dudes that are willing to part with $175 for a chinese watch, rubber band and MINERAL crystal are throwing your money away. A watch of this quality and country of origin should be 1/2 the price! At this price point you could be buying swiss or japanese and maybe even land a sapphire crystal. That is way more "luxury"!

Im not necessarily anti-china. I dont think there is anything wrong with harbor freight tools as long as the price is right and HF does not try to pass off something that its not. I sure as heck dont pay craftsman or kobalt prices for HF tools!! I cant believe that our commander in chief and the professionals that are paid to protect him walk around with harbor freight quality watches!! You would be better off with government issued luminox or something - at least its swiss with tempered glass and youll have it the rest of your life - http://www.swissmade.com/en/web/inde...ches_-_luminox.

But as they say in the used car business "There is an *** for every seat!"
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the anti-China sentiment. Say Porsche opened a factory in China to build brand new 993's, MSRP here of $35K, and indistinguishable from the original German car. Any takers? Thought so...........

Quick Reply: 993 logo watch