Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me ? someone screwed up (re: "Motorsport Selection")

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is it just me ? someone screwed up (re: "Motorsport Selection")

Who was the idiot that came up with this line of merchandise ?

Porsche used to sell items with the logo "Porsche Motorsport", not "Porsche Motorsport Selection" (the new stuff). They might as well have said "Porsche Motorsport Collection", it's the same difference.

Anyone can buy something that says "Motorsport Selection". Buying something that says "Motorsport Selection" instead of "Motorsport" indicates they just bought something, as opposed to (in an ideal world) coming into an item of teamwear that the motorsport team wears. In fact I think that some of the stuff Porsche used to sell WAS in some cases the same stuff the motorsport personnel wore.

Sure I MIGHT have bought one or two items from the new collection if all it said was "Porsche Motorsport" but I wouldn't buy a thing that says "Porsche Motorsport Selection".

This was a REALLY stupid idea and I'm going to see hordes of poseurs that never attend races or drive their car on a track wearing this stuff.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This all flows with the water cooled era. Marketing to the masses not the individual. Good business model except for the enthusiast. IMHO.

Mike
Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Agreed - Porsche is focused on a broader non-enthusiast demographic now. On my last visit to the dealer, the service area was filled with Cayennes - not a 911 in the building and women at the service desks complaining about their nav systems. I recently called Porsche Customer Commitment about a 964 issue and the young, inexperienced representative asked if that was a 996. Actually, I don't think it is called a "Commitment" center any longer - that word was replaced by "Contact". I guess commitment center might imply that they'd actually fix the self-imploding Boxster and 996 engines. Frankly I think Porsche sucks for anything other than the latest cars. They could care less about those of us who own older 911models. Thinking further about it, if you think it sucks now, wait until they team up with VW.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you bring this up. I was just reading a Christopherus and came across this new line. It looks ok from a distance until you realize what it says.....

dumb indeed
Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe next they will introduce the Porsche Motorsort Wannabe collection.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SKM
Agreed - Porsche is focused on a broader non-enthusiast demographic now. On my last visit to the dealer, the service area was filled with Cayennes - not a 911 in the building and women at the service desks complaining about their nav systems. I recently called Porsche Customer Commitment about a 964 issue and the young, inexperienced representative asked if that was a 996. Actually, I don't think it is called a "Commitment" center any longer - that word was replaced by "Contact". I guess commitment center might imply that they'd actually fix the self-imploding Boxster and 996 engines. Frankly I think Porsche sucks for anything other than the latest cars. They could care less about those of us who own older 911models. Thinking further about it, if you think it sucks now, wait until they team up with VW.
Porsche is just doing what they need to do to stay in business in a You-Tube world driven by a use it and throw it away culture, but at heart, I think they are still a race-car business that sells de-tuned cars to the public to support their habit and stockholders. Unfortunately, if they want to continue to do what they love, they need to change.... or die, and WE dictate that. Somebody married all those housewives from hell demanding better navigation systems. Somebody fathered all those rugrats in the back of those Cayennes... You know, ashtrays and passenger seats were OPTIONS on these cars back in the '50's.....
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This makes me laugh and gives me the mental image of someone wearing an entire Ferrari branded outfit.
Where's Curve Lover when you need an endless hard-drive of images?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1

Originally Posted by DocTock993

This makes me laugh and gives me the mental image of someone wearing an entire Ferrari branded outfit.
Where's Curve Lover when you need an endless hard-drive of images?
Russ-- Joey to the rescue

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: YT
Old 05-07-2011, 06:24 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Buying something that says "Motorsport Selection" instead of "Motorsport" indicates they just bought something, as opposed to (in an ideal world) coming into an item of teamwear that the motorsport team wears..........This was a REALLY stupid idea and I'm going to see hordes of poseurs that never attend races or drive their car on a track wearing this stuff.
Does the term "...coming into...." imply an action different or more valid than simply buying an item? And by extension, if one "comes into" a Porsche Motorsport item in any manner other than by virtue of being a member of Porsche Motorsport, is that person not then a poseur if they wear that item?

Using your logic, every sports fan that wears official team gear in support of their team is a poseur. I'm not sure I understand your anger (But then, there's a lot I don't get these days... )
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

unless the "new" collection has a matching track suit with appropriate stripes for both baggy jacket and pants, as well as a contrasting V neck cut undershirt..not to mention the matching footwear and gaudy watch with gold chain accessories-highlighted by the aforementioned "V" neck undershirt-I'm simply not interested.

note-actual Under Armour suit wore by a local PCA member at the event yesterday. The complete package was very geographically typical. I bet 30 years ago he drove an IROC(Italian Romeo Out Cruising)
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,420 Likes on 820 Posts

who really cares? I don't buy any of that crap anyways.

Does this really have a profound impact on your life?

Quick Reply: Is it just me ? someone screwed up (re: "Motorsport Selection")