Sponsored by:

Control Arm Link (Toe Link)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:35 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Control Arm Link (Toe Link)

Random question, is this a common point of failure? I was just looking through receipts from the PO and found that both sides of the rear suspension had these
Control Arm Link (Toe Link) replaced. Just curious if someone went off-road or if this is common. They were replaced at the time the car received new shocks, springs, corner balance and alignment.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...rbo%20(1995-98)
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took my car in today for alignment/corner balance and to get some Walrod bushings installed. I asked them to do a thorough inspection of the frame and suspension components as well. Bingo, aside from the work I expected to be done the only thing they came up with was: REPLACE WORN REAR SUSPENSION CENTER (TOE) ARMS.

Still figuring out which way to go (Tarett or ERP) for replacements:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...trol-arms.html

AFAIK, I'm still on the originals at 102k miles on my new-to-me C2, but I've found a couple handling woes that I don't think are normal, and that quite possibly the PO's just never noticed the issues. I've been told that the rear toe arms are a weak point on our cars as far as durability is concerned, hopefully the aftermarket parts solve that.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine replaced at about 80k miles. Should have gone with the Tarett or ERP ones at that time....
Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't notice that other thread, wierd timing.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by daltvater
I didn't notice that other thread, wierd timing.

Thanks!
Sure, glad to help. And I agree, pretty weird timing, especially considering the few previous (and very short) threads on the topic.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

How do your rear toe arms get "worn"? Presumably the rubber bushings but you can't even see those when installed. Maybe the ball joint (the shock end) wears? Yes, I'm a bit skeptical here.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

My rear toe links were both shot when I bought the car. One of the first things that I replaced.

The upper row rear suspension inners were gone or going when I pulled them this past winter.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I discovered mine when I took my 'new-to-me' coupe with 87K miles on it to a shop for lowering springs/shocks and alignment that didn't speak 993. They said my right rear Toe-in was out of spec by .26" and they thought the car had seen some 'Trauma'. I had a decent PPI when I bought it with no problems discovered, but I took it to a body/frame shop anyway where they found no signs of any 'Trauma' problems (whew) but the Toe-in is still out of spec. I finally got hooked up with a reputable Porsche-only suspension shop that will be putting in a PSS10 system this June. At the same time they will be installing Tarret adjustable Toe links w/lock kit and the rubber bushing boots mentioned in the above thread. This shop said rear Toe in problems on lowered 993's is fairly common.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumb question....without looking, how would you the toe links were shot? ie how would the car handle differently?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slider
dumb question....without looking, how would you the toe links were shot? ie how would the car handle differently?
The only way I knew something was wrong was the first shop I went to couldn't get the right rear toe-in within the factory specified range of .04in to .13in.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 393 Posts

It's hard to see the damage to the rubber because it's hidden by the side washers. I posted some pics of bushings I removed from my car this past winter.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The joints and rubber boots are shot on mine. I noticed it when installing the new suspension last weekend. Are the ERP's that much better (double the cost?) vs. the Tarrets?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

I went with the ERP arms + the Tarett Locking Plate kit:
http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...opy-detail.htm

+ the Baker booties (2ea. Medium + 2ea. Large)
http://bakerprecision.com/rodacc.htm

As far as the handling characteristics that show up when these are worn, I can't be sure. My car is quite new to me so I'm still in the getting-to-know-it phase, I'll defer to those more experienced than me as to that question.

My car had a number of issues, each of which could possibly be responsible for any of the "woes" I referred to previously. Aside from the worn out rear toe arms the front bushings were also shot, the lower steering coupling was loose where it attaches to the steering rack, the alignment was out-of-whack, rear tires were shot, etc.

In addition to the alignment/corner balance, Walrod bushings and the rear toe arms being replaced/upgraded I also ordered the extra steering rack brace per TSB for the '95 cars and that will be installed as well.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I emailed Tarett about which rubber boots to use to protect the arms, and they recommended these:

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

I am curious as how well did the Baker body ones look and seal? I have a set of the standard Tarett arms ready to be installed, but have been holding back until I get the rubber seals sorted.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-18-2009, 04:12 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

I went with the Baker boots per Steve@Rennsport's suggestion which is in the other recent thread on this. (See my post above for the link.)

Steve said that depending on the application getting the boots on is a real chore. I mentioned this to the shop doing the work and they didn't seem too concerned about that, parts should arrive early next week. I got the O.D. sizing on the arms from Ira at Tarett, hopefully the boots fit well enough to do some good. I'll report back when I pick up the car, sometime in the not to distant future, hopefully. I really miss my car.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Link (Toe Link)