Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Guards, before and after pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:18 AM
einreb92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As luck would have it (or not have it), it took almost three hours to melt mine off each side with a heat gun, xenit and goof off. What a mess. I also went through three or four scrapers per- the proximity to the gun didn't do them any favor. In the process, I gouged the paint/clear coat while trying to use a medium abrasive pad to get the hardest part started (the beginning). I am now waiting for an appointment with a body shop to fix what I destroyed. I tried using compound with my PC dual action but it is still visible. 95% will be under the shield, but I'm afraid it will be visible and I will have put new ones on. Of course these should come right off this time (LOL). I have contemplated using wet sandpaper but then I would have to restore the clear coat. I enjoyed the process although most times I DIY, I don't usually save anything but memories. YMMV https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/surrender.gif
PS
Mark is great to do business with!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the inspiration Darin, I just changed out mine and it looks great!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I am just getting caught up with this thread and I read the first couple of posts by Jeff and Ed and think "cool!" then I get to your situation einreb92 and... oh no... that seriously sucks. Sorry man...
Thanks for the nice comments though.

I feel for those who get stuck (pun intended) dealing with glue residue... I had that on both of my cars.
Goof Off or Lift Off needs to set a bit to soften the glue. Still, it can be really time consuming.
In the end, it was well worth it.

PS- I put a DIY doc here: http://fdmotorsports.net/Stone%20Guard%20DIY.pdf

Last edited by MarkD; 05-07-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added link to doc
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stone guards for C2

So where do I buy these, and can a good detailer just take the old ones off (been on for years) and put on thenew ones? I alswayas screw up anything like this I try myself!
Charlie
Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henkinc
So where do I buy these, and can a good detailer just take the old ones off (been on for years) and put on thenew ones? I alswayas screw up anything like this I try myself!
Charlie
Hmm... some detailers probably do this but more often it will be a paint protection film installer. Or you
Getting the old ones off is the hard (or easy!) part. Depends on your car.
If you want a set, let me know... PM or email fdmotorsports@comcast.net

If you want to tackle as a DIY take a look at the directions here, jsut click on the link to download the pdf: http://fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page423.htm
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clear bra put on as well as the rocker panels. The new film that's out there is very good stuff. It's not supposed to yellow and has UV protection. now we wait and see about the UV...
Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
I would rather pay a professional (Mark) so I can be at the brewery sooner and less stressed out!
Sounds like the Brewmeister's kind of plan!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default black 930 stone guards on 993

Originally Posted by kjr914
Has anyone ever put black stone guards on a non-black 993, ala the original 911 Turbos (~1976 to ~1989)? That look still blows me away every time I see it. Pic or PhotoShop magic anyone of a 993 with black stone guards? I'm curious to see if the effect is even near the same.
Keith-- Hope this helps. More where it came from, if ya like.

Not only kinda what you're asking for, but ...
Cactizz-colored: Can-Can with white!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Mark, yes, the WB guards are totally different and they have a cutout to make it over the lower rocker panel. A bit more work and larger. I am planning to finish them up this week.
Did they pan out? My little C4S is begging to get rid of it's color matched pair

Edit: visited the site, I suppose Item #:CGWB1 would be them?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
PM sent.

Has anyone ever put black stone guards on a non-black 993, ala the original 911 Turbos (~1976 to ~1989)? That look still blows me away every time I see it. Pic or PhotoShop magic anyone of a 993 with black stone guards? I'm curious to see if the effect is even near the same.
I did this for my 1981 911SC (turbo) in which I used the normal turbo parts, but then cut them down to fit the look better (lesser rear fenders on the SC). I made a single template out of plexiglass, and then cut along the template with a razor blade. Flipped it over for the other side. Quite easy.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

I had my ptrofessional detailer (who used to install pinstripes and the like for a living) do mine (black C2S - been on for surely many years) and it was REALLY a pain to take the old one off. I say "one" because it took 4 hours for one side and he has to return to do the psssenger side later. But it DOES look great! Just clear over black. Thanks to FD Motorsports for a great product.
Charlie
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nollie
Did they pan out? My little C4S is begging to get rid of it's color matched pair

Edit: visited the site, I suppose Item #:CGWB1 would be them?
yes, exactly...

Originally Posted by henkinc
I had my ptrofessional detailer (who used to install pinstripes and the like for a living) do mine (black C2S - been on for surely many years) and it was REALLY a pain to take the old one off. I say "one" because it took 4 hours for one side and he has to return to do the psssenger side later. But it DOES look great! Just clear over black. Thanks to FD Motorsports for a great product.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie!
Sounds like yours was one of the tougher ones... my cab was like that. It just takes patience and the right goo remover. And more patience.
Some people get lucky and they just peel right off (Darin... da bum!)
Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Some people get lucky and they just peel right off (Darin... da bum!)
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Yeah, mine came off all in one piece, leaving only a tiny spot of glue residue. It took all of about 2 mins to get each side off. Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket that day .
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Mark - what goo remover do you use?
Charlie
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Charlie,

For removing this goo I found "Lift Off" to be the best product. Next would be "Goof Off"

Quick Reply: Stone Guards, before and after pix