Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My New Rotary Lift - With Pics!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Perry. That should work fine for me as our trash service picks up oil at our curb.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! I thought it would be a lot more expensive, Joe. As you say, well worth the price considering the weight suspended over your head. Congratulations! Enjoy - Glenn
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Yes. Having seen some people put their car into the ceiling, I wanted to ensure I got a model with an overhead bar. Under the bar is a foam protected length of steel which triggers a switch which stops the lift if the car hits it. As a bonus, the overhead bar contains all of the hydraulic lines so you have a completely flat floor under the car.

Cheers,
Joe
Good job, I have had a 9000lb lift for quite a while now, it sure makes it comfortable to work on the cars...you willl also find you have way more visitors too!

I thought the equalization cables would run across between the towers as well, not just the hydraulic's? I am not sure about your comment about spending more will equal more safety. I am not familiar with Rotary too much (I found them a big pricey), mine is a Greg Smith lift. I found that my particular lift (the 9000lbs model) is way overbuilt (shipping weight was over 1800lbs), lifts my 8800lb truck with ease, has huge safety ratchets, and was less than $2k.

Anyways, enjoy the lift and wrenching! You should also get a floor telescoping jack, you will need it to swing the arms away while doing oil change, etc. Very handy. Get a heavy one, it will be supporting part of the car over your head. Also, when you get the oil drain, get one with the widest possible mouth and an extra extention tube, since as you know lots of oil gushes out as you drain the oil tank, and you want to get the funnel in nice and close to avoid splashing. Both of mine are from Greg Smith again, 100% happy.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Joe!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool! What's the rag over the license plate for?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, thanks for the ramps. Sorry I couldn't hang out for a beer or two since my boy was kind of cranky at the time. You have a PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike J
Good job, I have had a 9000lb lift for quite a while now, it sure makes it comfortable to work on the cars...you willl also find you have way more visitors too!

I thought the equalization cables would run across between the towers as well, not just the hydraulic's? I am not sure about your comment about spending more will equal more safety. I am not familiar with Rotary too much (I found them a big pricey), mine is a Greg Smith lift. I found that my particular lift (the 9000lbs model) is way overbuilt (shipping weight was over 1800lbs), lifts my 8800lb truck with ease, has huge safety ratchets, and was less than $2k.

Anyways, enjoy the lift and wrenching! You should also get a floor telescoping jack, you will need it to swing the arms away while doing oil change, etc. Very handy. Get a heavy one, it will be supporting part of the car over your head. Also, when you get the oil drain, get one with the widest possible mouth and an extra extention tube, since as you know lots of oil gushes out as you drain the oil tank, and you want to get the funnel in nice and close to avoid splashing. Both of mine are from Greg Smith again, 100% happy.

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll look into the Greg Smith pan also.

I had a hard time finding an overbuilt 2 post lift like the Rotary for low ceiling garages. Most lifts in that size (I looked at many) have no overhead bar and are not as high quality. There are lots of great lifts for garage ceilings of 11ft and above and they're cheaper too. One feature I like on the Rotary is that it uses a hydraulic ram on each side (there are no chains). Also, like yours, it has large safety ratchets.

By the way, did you get everything you need from me for the Vram write-up for your site?

Cheers,
Joe
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM
baron95993
Pro

very nice
Baron
Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
Thanks Mike. I'll look into the Greg Smith pan also.

I had a hard time finding an overbuilt 2 post lift like the Rotary for low ceiling garages. Most lifts in that size (I looked at many) have no overhead bar and are not as high quality. There are lots of great lifts for garage ceilings of 11ft and above and they're cheaper too. One feature I like on the Rotary is that it uses a hydraulic ram on each side (there are no chains). Also, like yours, it has large safety ratchets.

By the way, did you get everything you need from me for the Vram write-up for your site?

Cheers,
Joe
Bumping an old thread and am curious to see how your ownership experience has been?

I'm shopping for a lift and have mostly decided to buy a Rotary SPOA 10.
They seem ~ $500 more than other manufacturers but alg seem to get "rave" reviews.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JM993
Yes, and for that leaky power steering rack and G50/21 conversion I want to do.

For those of you with garages over 11 ft, you'll want to choose another lift to take advantage of your extra ceiling height. For those curious about the price, it cost approx $4K just for the lift. You can find cheaper lifts - in fact Rotary is phasing this lift out in favor of their new "Made in China" Revolution series. They're probably fine, though I figure the extra money is well spent for something that suspends 3000 + lbs over my head

Cheers,
Joe
Joe,

Can you point me to where you got this one and what is the model number? I have a 10 ft 3" ceiling height in my garage and think the 4K price is well worth it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Did not realize this was such an old thread...if anyone has a good source to purchase a rotary lift like this that works in a garage with 10 ft ceilings I would appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by cgfen
Bumping an old thread and am curious to see how your ownership experience has been?

I'm shopping for a lift and have mostly decided to buy a Rotary SPOA 10.
They seem ~ $500 more than other manufacturers but alg seem to get "rave" reviews.

Cheers
Completely satisfied. It's a great lift and I'm not sure how I ever got by without it.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by swesna
Did not realize this was such an old thread...if anyone has a good source to purchase a rotary lift like this that works in a garage with 10 ft ceilings I would appreciate it.
I contacted Rotary directly to find a local dealer/installer. Hopefully they still offer a 10 foot ceiling model (they were phasing them out went I bought mine).

Quick Reply: My New Rotary Lift - With Pics!!!!