Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

MA Inspection Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A month of so ago, I purchased two Bosch direct replacement O2 sensors, I think from Amazon, for $155. They are the two for before the cat.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff - IMHO do what you have to do to fix the SAI and get the 993 on the road and enjoy. With 123k on the clock and clogged SAI ports, at some point there will be more work to be done and you can sort things at that point. Just remember that the SAI issue is really more of one for getting past the MA inspection, the car should perform just as well with our without setting off the SAI CEL. The root cause can be sorted later as long as you aren't going through too much oil.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:21 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffC
So all O2 sensors are created equal? The ones from Pelican will function equally well as OEM?

Jeff
Yes.

Essentially, all the O2 sensors are the same at the sensor level. There are varieties that have to do with whether the sensor is heated (1, 3 or 4-wire), and whether the sensor is model-specific or universal (plug-in or splice in).

You simply have to buy the sensor with the right number of wires. If you feel particularly co-pathetic to your mechanic, you can but the model-specific one from Pelican or Sunset, so he can't beach and moan that he has to splice a few wires in.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Another update. And not a good one. The shop has been at the SAI thing for 3 days without getting some of the ports clear. It appears some clogs are in the cylinder heads and they want to remove the heads. I guess this has to be done, so what else should be done when the heads are off? Is there a local (MA) shop someone would recommend for the head work?

Thanks again for all the advice and help,

Jeff
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Call Jerry @ EPE in Natick. 508-651-1316 He's the real deal.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Dennis. I just had Jerry do a bunch of work on my car. PM me if you have any questions. Here is a pic of my heads showing "open" SAI ports that are coated with carbon and would eventually close up and trigger the CEL.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Update. I chose to have the SAI passages cleaned out by the repair shop and they have the required components removed and are starting the flush and cleaning.

Since the exhaust is off and some topside components have been removed, the shop is suggesting to replace the O2 sensors. The sensors appear to be original and they feel replacing them now will prevent problems in the near future.

Is the replacement of the O2 sensors a good move at this time (126Kmiles)? Second, if the answer to the first is 'yes', I am being quoted almost $500ea for the sensors (OEM from a local Porsche dealership) by the repair shop. Is this accurate since I see O2 sensors at Pelican Parts for less than $100ea?

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff
Are you sure you weren't quoted $500 for all 4 sensors? $500 per is highway robbery IMHO. They're just Bosch sensors, another place to price shop is AutohausAZ.com.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Are you sure you weren't quoted $500 for all 4 sensors? $500 per is highway robbery IMHO. They're just Bosch sensors, another place to price shop is AutohausAZ.com.
It turns out the shop guy misunderstood the parts guy ....etc. Yes, the price was around $500 for 4.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sorry I haven't been checking in much lately, I would have weighed in earlier.

Jeff, I'm afraid you might be headed down a road you'd rather not travel here with this particular shop.

When I bought my 97 off a local guy (I am on the South Shore in Marshfield), it came to me with no CEL light and throwing error codes. (I discovered this when I brought it in for its inspection.) Subsequent checking found that the previous owner was having it serviced at a local foreign car place that had some experience, but not much, with Porsches. Two years earlier, when it failed inspection, they basically charged him a fortune ($3k or so) to replace a bunch of parts (including the MAF) and hoses that had nothing to do with the SAI issue, managed to get it past inspection anyway, then removed the CEL light so he wouldn't know about it.

I would not let that shop touch your heads, or anything else if I could avoid it. They probably don't really know what they are doing. You really want someone who knows the ins and outs of the 993. They may be good mechanics, but these cars are pretty specific in their foibles.

Even though my car was throwing SAI error codes, I was still able to get a $39 OBDII code reader, reset the light, drive the car around for a day until I got all the readiness codes set (monitoring the reader constantly) then get it inspected and pass. As soon as all seven were set, I pretty much veered right into a gas station that does inspections. As I drove away with the sticker, the light came back on. I would highly recommend you take that strategy instead of having a shop with limited experience mess around on your dime trying to fix the problem.

If the car is running well and not using oil, I would leave well enough alone until the next inspection comes around. If the car needs attention, the best thing to do is have the top end redone, which will cure everything, SAI included. Your valves guides are likely shot -- at least the exhaust ones -- mine were at 60k miles. You can have Jerry at EPE do it -- he is the best in the Boston area, in my opinion. Or, if you are patient, you can take it up to New Hampshire and have Mark Nadler at Exotech do it for a bit less, but it will take a while.

How much are these folks charging you?

Last edited by vjd3; 04-17-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It turns out the shop guy misunderstood the parts guy ....etc. Yes, the price was around $500 for 4.

Jeff
I really hate to add this to your concerns but if the shop guy didn't pick up on the fact the O2 sensors are nowhere near $500 ea I would question how much experience he has with these cars.

I do wish you the best of luck getting this resolved.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, even if only 2 of the error codes (or flags on my $130 Equus OBDII) are showing, I believe you can pass. I did so today. The flags still showing were O2S and Cat, obviously related to the emissions system and as yet not "read" by the computer - hence the passage. For the life of me I do not know why the station accpets the state of the computer with two codes not "ready" but this has happened twice to me now.(Charlie from Arlington, VA)
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Update for Dennis. Sorry, can't call 'cause I am on hold with the IRS. Anyway, the original shop couldn't get the passageways cleaned out and I wasn't comfortable with them taking the heads off so the car has been moved to Sports Imports where Scott will continue the clean out. He has experience with this unfortunately he is on vacation this week. So the saga continues.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

The saga is complete. I received this sticker yesterday. Thanks for all your knowledge and help. I will get the car cleaned up (dirty from sitting in shop for 3 months) and take pictures and formally introduce us to the list.

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Nice!!! Congratulations....now you can enjoy.

Join us for the drive to Limerock this Saturday morning.

Quick Reply: MA Inspection Failure