993 Forum 1995-1998

MA Inspection Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dennis,

I will be a member shortly especially after all the advice I am getting. Sports Imports does mostly German cars and he used to race a 944 for awhile. I suspect that crowd knows him better which is how I came across him (former 951 owner). Scott is a NER PCA inspector for Driver's Ed cars. At one time several years ago, he had a fairly famous 944 engine tuner/builder renting space in his shop. I can't remember the guys name, but the 944 guys would know him.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The CEL is now off but they say the monitors have not completed. Is that the same as what coltj is saying about the Readiness codes? "
Jeff, yes, the monitors/readiness codes have not reset.

Check your PM.

Jeffrey

Last edited by coltj; 04-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JeffC
With any luck the Forest Green 993 will be out and about on the Cape this week. I will also take some pics and post them.

Jeff
hmmm. can't wait to see the pics. I have yet to see another Forest Green 993 on the road. I know they are out there, but now to have another one in MA.

my car.... and yes, for those of you who recognize the driveway, I bought it from Willhoit.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

I have been driving the car for a couple of days and the CEL came on. The inspection shop read the codes and they were P0410 and P1411 (Secondary Injection Failure). If I can ensure I have no codes when I take it back to the shop, then I can do the work myself. If the retest fails, then I can't recover any costs associated with my repair. Basically, MA requires a licensed Inspection Station to make any repairs if you want the repair costs reimbursed if the car doesn't pass a retest.

I have not worked on a 993 but I do have good mechanical skills (restored 914, replaced 944 gas tank, oil pan gasket and p/s rack, turbo, etc). I haven't done a search yet on this issue, but I am sure there is help out there. What are my options?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Jeff

1997 993 not sucking enough air.

PS. I hope to get a chance to wash it and get some pictures soon.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff,

SAI flushing is quite a messy project and I would do so under a last resort. Do a search (make sure you use quotes) to find out some background on the issue. Also, in MA you can get a waiver for a year if your car is more than 10 years old, I think $250 is all you have to spend, might be a good idea so you can drive the car while sorting the issue out. I am sure others can chime in with further guidance.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Jeff,
first of all, this sucks. I had to go through this before in NY and it is a pain in the ***. The dealer charged me $150 to get the readiness codes set. You can google the process for getting the readiness codes set. Examples below:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9659
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=382813

Good luck to you. It will of course help if you have an OBDII reader to make sure everything is set before testing again.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by coltj
Nile13 is correct. MA State Inspection stations should connect to the ODBII connector to check that the readiness codes are set etc. Has the station told you that the car has failed due to ODBII errors or readiness codes not being "ready"? Sounds like you should take your car back from whoever has it now and bring it to someone else. I'm sure someone from the South Shore/CC can recommend a good indie shop. I use EPE, but they're in Natick.

You say the CEL light comes on when you first start the car and then goes out. Does it go out when all the other "start-up" lights go out, as it should?
Agreed! I cruised through 9 years of MA inspections. They were more concerned about tire tread wear and if my horn worked. They actually missed the CEL on my car for 9 years. To the point that when I got to CA, I didn't even know where the CEL was, as it was burnt out and had never lit......until I replaced it for the fine folks at CA SMOG

Who knew?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did they put a rejection sticker on the windshield?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Yes this does suck. I kinda blame myself for not having the codes read before I bought the car. But, as they say, "water under the bridge".

The original rejection (sticker applied) was because of OBDII codes including one that said the CEL was out. They replaced the CEL and reset the codes but couldn't get the monitors to report ready. They gave me the car to drive until the all the tests were 'ready'. At today's reading, all the tests reported 'ready', the CEL was on and the Secondary Air Injection codes were set.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I just did the readiness drive a couple of weeks ago with my 96 and it worked first time. I did have to stop a couple of times during the procedure but it worked anyhow. Also, if you know anyone that has the VAG-COM software, usually used on Audi/VW, it was able to read the OBD II readiness status on my 993 and any stored codes. The software has a generic OBD II section that may read and reset the OBD II controller on many different makes of cars?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Also, in MA you can get a waiver for a year if your car is more than 10 years old, I think $250 is all you have to spend, might be a good idea so you can drive the car while sorting the issue out.
Yes, I looked this up and you are right. The minimum spent has to be greater than $550 (not there yet) for a car 10 years old but the Emissions Station has to prove they have tried to repair the problem. They haven't done this yet with mine. They had to fix the CEL first then wait for Ready on the monitors which just happened today. They will have to take a stab at fixing the SAI and then have it fail before I can apply for the waiver.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffC
If the retest fails, then I can't recover any costs associated with my repair. Basically, MA requires a licensed Inspection Station to make any repairs if you want the repair costs reimbursed if the car doesn't pass a retest.
Jeff, are you sure that you are reading this correctly?

I might be wrong, but AFAIK anyone can do the work. If the work is done by a licensed inspection station, and, let's say, they decide to change a cat on the car and the car fails, do they really have to give you money back for the cat and labor?

If you have a URL for this, could you please post?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Jeff, are you sure that you are reading this correctly?

I might be wrong, but AFAIK anyone can do the work. If the work is done by a licensed inspection station, and, let's say, they decide to change a cat on the car and the car fails, do they really have to give you money back for the cat and labor?

If you have a URL for this, could you please post?
I reread my failed emission test report and on page 3 it describes the need for a waiver or extension. I did misread it and no I would not get reimbursed for a new cat. If I have a licensed inspection station do the work and they can't get it to pass, I can get a 1 year waiver or extension. I have attached the report.

Thanks for questioning me and making me look again. I am still in a quandary about what to do though.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WP0AA2995VS321798-2.pdf (78.7 KB, 259 views)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 AM
LuftKuhler
Advanced

Jeff,
I looked up the codes on the report your posted on the OBDII reader I have. It did not have info on the first two P1691 and P1411. The third one is P0410 which is a "Secondary Air Injection" System. I found this quote from another p-car forum on the P1411 code, "P1411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Downstream Flow Detected/Manufacturer Auxillary Emission Control." I think the P1691 has to do with the fuel injection system

It appears from this test sheet (if I am reading it correctly) that the readiness codes (OBD Monitor Results) are OK. So the information above about driving the car around to get them set shouldn't be necessary.

I'm no mechanic but it sounds like you have secondary air injection failure which is common with the 993s. My understanding is that this is not an easy or check fix.

Are you a member of PCA? If so, they have some technical experts that would be willing to walk you through what needs to be done over the phone. They're pretty good guys and have helped out of some binds in the past. If you want I can get you their contact information.

Of course, there are a lot of helpful folks here as well.

Last edited by LuftKuhler; 04-10-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM
JeffC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuftKuhler
I think the P1691 has to do with the fuel injection system
The shop told me P1691 was a CEL failure. They had to fix that first (burned out bulb) reset the codes and wait for the codes to return, which they did.

Jeff

Quick Reply: MA Inspection Failure