993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch Slave Cylinder Hose Twisted

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:02 AM
993Coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I surrender!

Got the cylinder installed, bled the system, pushed on the clutch and....

CRUNCH!

Took off the busted cylinder, replaced the old cylinder, bled the clutch and then....CRUNCH! DID IT AGAIN!! I came to the conclusion that this task is a little beyond my capabilities. I just couldn't get that damn piston to seat right. So she's off to Deman Motorsports for some proper care. I hope Rick can save me on this one.

I tried.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Coupe
I surrender!

CRUNCH!

Took off the busted cylinder, replaced the old cylinder, bled the clutch and then....CRUNCH! DID IT AGAIN!! I came to the conclusion that this task is a little beyond my capabilities. I just couldn't get that damn piston to seat right. So she's off to Deman Motorsports for some proper care. I hope Rick can save me on this one.

I tried.
I feel your pain. Replacing mine was one of my first 993 DIY tasks. In the winter. With freezing weather and an uninsulated metal storage unit. Sheer hell.

I presume the slave rod end slipped past the release arm - hence the "crunch".

Andreas
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I surrender!

CRUNCH!

I tried.
That would be very frustrating. I suppose it doesn't matter now but did you take the black inspection cover off of the transmission so you could feel the rod in the cup?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
993Coupe
Instructor

Nope. Didn't know there was one. Is that the black, plastic half tube looking thing on the side of the transmission? Didn't look big enough to get a hand in there.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
tchubacha
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago while in there with the pss9 install and I did take that black half tube looking thing with three bolts but you still have to use a telescoping angled mirror to take a peek. Even then you don't see much. I basically tried to feel the receptacle that the slave cylinder pushing on a check that it is pressing on it and nothing is moving around in there. Do you have a lift? It is a big help in DIY's because I also need all the help I can get. There are angles and arm placement that you just can't get to on jack stands. Good luck in future endeavors.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

OK, maybe I misread this. Do you pop the rod out of the slave into the bell housing?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Is that the black, plastic half tube looking thing on the side of the transmission?
Nope. That's the clutch vent intake. The inspection port is a rubber rectangle, a bit higher up on the same side.

Andreas
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
993Coupe
Instructor

OK, maybe I misread this. Do you pop the rod out of the slave into the bell housing?
Yep.....twice!

Thank goodness nothing fell into the housing (noticed I still had all the pieces when I took the broken cylinders off).

Car was dropped of at Deman Motorsport this morning. Rick and Joe will fix me up right! God bless those guys. It was pretty funny walking in there this morning with my tail between my legs. I got a good (and well deserved) ribbing. But, it was good seeing all the eye candy they have in that place. Pure ecstasy!! My baby is in good hands now.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Cylinder Hose Twisted