Sponsored by:

How to stop rattling shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stop rattling shift ****

I've got the stock C2S shifter and the top plastic section rattles. I can't figure out if there is anything to tighten to fix this. I've pull the entire console and shifter/leather boot out, but I can't figure out if there is a way to tighten the plastic part. I did a search and found some info on similar style shifters that talk about a set screw under the leather, but I dont' see a way to get under the leather on my shifter. Any guidance is appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grwoolf
I've got the stock C2S shifter and the top plastic section rattles. I can't figure out if there is anything to tighten to fix this. I've pull the entire console and shifter/leather boot out, but I can't figure out if there is a way to tighten the plastic part. I did a search and found some info on similar style shifters that talk about a set screw under the leather, but I dont' see a way to get under the leather on my shifter. Any guidance is appreciated.
Grant,

I have seen some of these ***** loose, some tight...
If there is a screw it will be on the back side of the **** itself.
A year or so ago I unsuccessfully attempted to take one of these apart and finally (this was very hard for me!) gave up. I didn't want to damage the ****.

Since the shift pattern insert cannot be removed without damage, there should be some sort of screw that clamps the metal down on the leather and that screw must be accessed from the back side of the ****. There is a small opening on the underside of the **** but I could not find a screw.

The only other possible option would be that Porsche sealed off whatever holds it together with the shift pattern insert... but that would not be what we normally see on these cars. Stuff can usually be taken apart.

BTW, you may already know this but you can pop off the shift **** and boot pretty easily with the console in the car. Just push down on the metal ring on the driver's side. There are 2 spring clips in the console that the metal ring will snap out of. There is a DIY on pcarworkshop.com with some helpful pix: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...center_console
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrap the shift lever with the appropriate amount of tennis racket grip tape. Install ****. Problem solved.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Noah
Wrap the shift lever with the appropriate amount of tennis racket grip tape. Install ****. Problem solved.
That's what I did for my MY02 shifter and fixed it. For mine, I could actually detect a little free play fore and aft with the shift **** before the fix..... grwoolf and Mark might be referring to a different rattle.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
That's what I did for my MY02 shifter and fixed it. For mine, I could actually detect a little free play fore and aft with the shift **** before the fix..... grwoolf and Mark might be referring to a different rattle.
Not sure about Grant but I assumed he was referring to the top of the **** rattling. The top of these things can get loose.

Adding thickness to the shift lever won't help this issue.
If the whole thing is loose, that would work, of course.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
grwoolf
Racer

That is correct, it's the plastic (silver/grey) section that is rattling. The main part of the **** that is covered with leather fits nice and tight on the shift lever.

I couldn't find any hole or screw on the underside of the **** except the large retangular hole for the shift lever. The leather can't really be pulled back too far because it can't be pulled over the wide section of the ****.

If I can't tighten it or take it apart without breaking it, I was thinking about getting a hypodermic needle and shooting some epoxy under the plastic part, but I don't really know how big the void is and whether this would work.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Try some dental floss. It worked on my carbon fiber shift ****.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonydec
Just the kind of high-tech solution I was looking for. No more rattle, and minty fresh. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sometimes it's the simple things ain't it? : )

In audio, they have discs to prevent cone tips from digging into your hardwood or scratching. Some folks just use coins, I've seen another guy that lost one of the discs, and used a bottle cap.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

No to hijack the thread, but I have the same **** and the sheet metal that holds the set screw inside the **** broke.

is there any other way to attach this thing to the shifter securely?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:36 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonydec
I hate to bump an old thread but this just worked perfectly for me and saved me from having to buy a new shift **** and now my interior smells of a fresh mint.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I hate to bump an old thread but this just worked perfectly for me and saved me from having to buy a new shift **** and now my interior smells of a fresh mint.
Mine is rattling too. Can someone clarify where and how to use the floss?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgarter
Mine is rattling too. Can someone clarify where and how to use the floss?

Thanks
Slide the floss in between the angle-cut top **** and the rest of the shifter and make a few loops around then carefully cut the ends off. It'll make perfect sense once you look at the ****.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't spread this too much, Porsche will put a sticker over the label of $2 floss packs, give them a part number and sell for $83 bucks as a "Shift **** Repair Kit." : )
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Stuttgarter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works like a charm. Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to stop rattling shift knob