Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pedal Clutch Travel (Engagement)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM
baron95993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal Clutch Travel (Engagement)

I rebuilt the pedal assembly yesterday and when I was finished I noticed my clutch pedal now engages very close to the floor. Is there a way I can change that? I have tried to adjust the spring but that does nothing. The car is a 97 993. Any help or ideas would be helpful. I have done a search but I cant find were it talks about adjustment of the clutch pedal (Clutch engagement) Both master and slave were not replaced no air in system.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

(bump) Hoping for some responses to this one...
Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please see page 433 of Porsche 993 The Essential Companion.

If you don't have access to the book let me know and I'll type out later today, don't have a flat bed scanner.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:09 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that perhaps you do not have the kinematic lever lined up right. Not sure that it can be replaced otherwise, but Porsche put a dimple on the spline and one on the shaft for alignment purposes. I would look at this first if you dismantled it.

Best of luck,
GR
Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
baron95993
Pro

That is a great question on the Kinematic lever I made sure the the lever is lined up. It has a notch on both the lever and the rod that goes through. It would be hard to not have that lined up.

Baron
Old 02-27-2009, 03:41 PM
baron95993
Pro

Scott
I dont know what page of this book you are talking about. If you could get that for me It would be great. Thanks again

Baron
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Did you try bleeding the clutch system just in case?

Its a very plain mechanical system, and the pedal is attached directly to the master cylinder, so you are right, the spring does nothing but help when pushing down. If you took the pedal cluster out by unbolting the master clutch cylinder (my favorite way), you are right, there should be no air, but doing this will also allow the piston in the master cylinder to go farther out that usual, since its attached to the bottom arm of the pedal. So, it could be possible that, when the piston of the master cylinder was fully out, something leaked, a seal let some air in, whatever.

I would first of all examine the clutch mechanism closely to see that the master cylinder is engaging properly, and is starting to be pushed in when the pedal is starting to move.

Its possible that the the kinematic lever you have was machined wrong, but you did not say if you replaced it or not. It is hard to get wrong, you would have to really force it.

If the pedal is engaging the master cylinder good and early, I would then flush the system and try again.

If that does not work, post again and lets see what else we can think of.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
baron95993
Pro

Thanks Mike I will try and bleed the system this weekend. I will also make sure the K lever is the right one. Thanks for the help on this one I for the most part can figure out most of my issues but this one has got me stumped. Thanks again.
Baron
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM
baron95993
Pro

I bought a Master and Slave I think I will go ahead and replace them will Im at it.
Baron
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
baron95993
Pro

Can I or do you even need to bench bleed the clutch master and the slave before installing?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No, you do not have to pre-fill or anything. Be prepared for lots of air, it will take lots of pumping to get it all out. Use a rope on the clutch pedal, once it goes to the floor it will want to stay there if there is air in the system, so your assistant will have to pull the pedal back up to pump it out. You can use the compressed air bleeding technique as well to get most of it out, but I seem to get less air just pumping the pedal.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
baron95993
Pro

I plan on using my Power Bleeder I hope that will make things easier. Thanks for the advise Mike

Baron
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
baron95993
Pro

OK I have replaced the Master and Slave for the clutch. I removed all air from the system lots of fluid no air is in the system. It is still doing the same thing. The clutch pedal is about 2 inches behind the break pedal. For some reason the pedals are not lining up. I think this is my problem. Do you need to position the clutch pedal in a certain way or lock the spring a certain way before you hook up to the kinematic lever to the master? Lever is the right one called on that on today. Im going to pull the pedals out again this evening to see if I did something wrong.
Baron
Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The spring position, and arm position is not adjustable, but I wonder if there is some positioning that is wrong so the default position if incorrect. If the cluster is in the vice, and the clutch pedal is hooked to the spring, you can move the pedal back and forth but the spring will really really assist, and its amost dangerous. Do you remember if it did that. For instance, if the pedal is full forward, you press it back, it goes with some resistance, then the spring takes over and pulls the pedal totally to the back.

Its possible that they machined the alignment pin for the kinematic lever in the wrong place...who knows. If you take it off (again!!), check it against the old one to see if the position is incorrect.

You remember there is a two sided connection between the kinematic lever and the spring, perhaps you somehow got it on the "other" side of the lever, or something? Its hard to do this from memory and not seeing what you have done.

It does sound purely mechanical, not hydraulic right now.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 PM
baron95993
Pro

Well Mike I took it out again (getting pretty good about 8mins now) Looked over everything I did and I knew I did it all right. So I looked at the number on the K lever (993 423 519 03 the old one) looked at the new one it read 993 423 519 00. Called the place were I bought it from he said that number rides over the old one. Still knowing I did everything right i called another dealership and low and behold wrong number. I was hot but glad I was able to put it to bed. They do not have one in stock so I should get one on Wednesday. Will try again I think this will work. Thanks for all your help. I knew when you responded I was going to be OK. Thanks again. will let you know when i get it back together and it works

Baron

Quick Reply: Pedal Clutch Travel (Engagement)