Sponsored by:

Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Garth. I think they'll be coming out shortly

Going to call H&R today to see what they have to say too. I have H&R's in my WRX and love them to death, so far this set has been quite the opposite though
Old 02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 yrs ago I ordered the H&R springs and Bilstein HD shocks from Gert:

" P93106 - Setup II P93 Lowering Springs with HD Shocks "

I have approx RS ride height and have no rubbing or any other issues.. I love them. I think many other Rennlisgters have this set up and like it..

I will say that my springs are red in color, not black.. Probably slightly different H&R springs than you have?

Good luck in resolving your specific issue.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Black993
Drifting

Finally spoke with H&R just now and here is what they had to say:

The street kit should provide 1 to 2 inches of lowering. The highest ride height is not necessarily with the adjustment all the way to the top of the coilover according to them, and I am now far outside the operating range of the coilover. There should be little to no coil bind, and since they have been bound for so long the springs are now more than likely no good as they have been used outside their tolerances for an unknown amount of time.

From the moment they were installed the car sat this way. I purchased them used, and admittedly, should have addressed this at that time. They've been on the car for several months now, so I guess I'm out of luck.

The H&R rep gave me the number to Champion Motorsports to purchase new springs. I'm just fearful that something else may be wrong and that the springs will not solve the problem.

Any ideas where to go from here? Anyone know who has the best price on PSS10's? (or even 9's)
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
Finally spoke with H&R just now and here is what they had to say:
The street kit should provide 1 to 2 inches of lowering. The highest ride height is not necessarily with the adjustment all the way to the top of the coilover according to them, and I am now far outside the operating range of the coilover. There should be little to no coil bind, and since they have been bound for so long the springs are now more than likely no good as they have been used outside their tolerances for an unknown amount of time.
Hmmm. Strange. I'd say go Bilstein HD/M030, PSS9, or PSS10. These all seem to be tried & true combinations that work.

Andreas
Old 03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear.

Where to go depends on your goal. This would be a good opportunity to upgrade if you want.
Buying new springs would be most economical if the struts are still OK.

I'm going to guess you're probably wanting to buy a new set now.
Looks like performanceproducts.com is having a sale. Bilstein stuff is excluded, but calll them
and see if they can give you a deal to make a sale.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other potential issue is that H&R's have been know to take a set. This means that "unsprung" height will be lower than they were when originally fabricated. The only way to tell is to remove all loading, measure the height and then compare to manufacturers specs.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by icelatte
Looks like performanceproducts.com is having a sale. Bilstein stuff is excluded, but calll them
and see if they can give you a deal to make a sale.

Good tip! So far they are the lowest by several hundred
Old 03-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You know for around $50 you can get a higher spring perch for all 4, it's basically a machined ALM spacer.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
...........Any ideas where to go from here? Anyone know who has the best price on PSS10's? (or even 9's)
Provided the shocks/struts are still sound, the easy way out is to buy a new spring set. I think H&R's go for ~$350, and MO30's are in the same ballpark. If the front threads drop low enough to the mounting ear, the latter will work too.

Even if the shocks were shot, they appear to be a Bilstein core with a H&R tag .... so are rebuildable in the range of a hundred per corner: once the springs are off, compress the pistons by hand. No, it's not as good as a shock dynometer, but will at least confirn that equal gas pressure exists side to side .... that would be good enough for me
Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Black993
Drifting

UPDATE:

Just ordered the Bilstein HD/ROW setup from Viper Bob. Should be here for the weekend

anyone want some slightly used H&R's at a good price?

Quick Reply: Springs!